Partial intake part...

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Partial intake part...

Post by Rockrz »

Anybody know where you can buy a peice that goes from the MAF directly to the intake that is smoother and more treamed than stock?

Anybody ever seen anything like this, without having to buy a complete cold air intake kit?

Seems like that would also be beneficial to help air more quicker.

I cut out the front then of my stock air box, so I'm good from there up to the mass aif flow
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

You could try to find a retailer or contact K&N to purchase just a section of their intake that they make for the 4.3? But I don't see any huge gains in doing that.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

3" (or whatever the appropriate diameter is) rubber hose...which should be easy to find at your local hardware store, Lowe's, etc.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

green02crew wrote:You could try to find a retailer or contact K&N to purchase just a section of their intake that they make for the 4.3? But I don't see any huge gains in doing that.
Probably wouldn't be any "hugh gains", but the K&N unit does appear to streamline airflow a little better than the stock unit.

I guess I could always contact them and ask if they sell replacement parts and maybe I could get that piece without buying the whole way overpriced cold air intake kit.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

green02crew wrote: But I don't see any huge gains in doing that.
Eliminating the accordion section is what gains the most when installing an intake on our trucks. I'm sure it could be done without replacing the intake hat, but the K&N and AEM intakes merge the intake hat and accordian section into one piece... so in that sense, there are definitely gains in replacing the stock intake hat with an aftermarket one.

Word to the wise though, forget the K&N one, get the AEM one... it actually bolts to the TB... unlike the K&N which is attached with a hose clamp (and is notorious for popping off).
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Jigg wrote:intake hat and accordian section into one piece
That's what I'd like to get without buying the entire cold air intake kit..if that's possible.

Thanks for the tip about staying away from K&N.
I wouldn't want anything popping off on me... :shock:
Last edited by Rockrz on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Remember that the "accordian" section of the intake is there to allow some flexibility. The aircleaner is bolted to the fender and core support. The hat to the engine. Something has to give.

A rubber section could be substituted as mentioned. I didn't see a big difference when I went back to the stock tube, other than my intake doesn't pop loose any more ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ wrote:I didn't see a big difference when I went back to the stock tube
Was this measured using the "butt dyno", or was a real dyno used?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Butt dyno and mileage. This little town doesn't have a dyno. Boise is the closest and I'm not interested in spending money on this little truck for that.
If you are looking for dyno results try one of the other forums for some testing. I am pretty sure none of the members here have been doing all the s-series racing that other forums tend to follow.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have the full k&n and never had an issue with the hat popping off, simply because it can't. It fits snuggly against the underside of the hood so after about a year of use I saw slight wear in the insulation just enough to show it touches slightly. No ill wearing other than smoothing of the insulation in that spot and I know it can't pop off either simply because there is not enough room. Just make sure your hose clamps are tight. If you had a body lift the situation may be different as the size of the gap would increase.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page