Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Dual ignition coils, and MSD control

Post by Rockrz »

I saw this webpage that had Dual ignition coils:
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/a ... /coil2.jpg

and MSD 6AL ignition control
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/~henryj/msd.html

...do these two items provide any power gains?
Or, does it just make the engine run a little smoother?

I always heard the stock ignition was pretty decent so I was just wondering why ad these parts.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dual ignition coils Not a performance modification. This is a redundant system. Easily swappable ignition coil in the event of a failure.

MSD Blaster coil

MSD Ignition Box?
HenryJ wrote:...The stock ignition system on these is pretty good, if you upgrade those lousy wires.
I was more concerned with my EGR and throttle blade modifications.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It smooths the idle and seems to be a tad bit more spirited. I didn't realize any significant mpg gains. I can't say if, I would do it again or give it a thumbs down. Let Brule chime in here. A good set of wires, a new cap, rotors and plugs go a long way.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

M(utiple) S(park) D(ischarge) systems have their place. Primarily helpful with lean running engines such as older carbureted styles. In late model computer managed engines their gain is minimal at best. JMO. I've been around these systems since they first came out including the Accel multi sparks as well. Now, if you're talking installing radical valve overlap cams, that's a different story. Be aware that here also the computer management system will lessen the noticed effects of an MSD type system but it will still help smooth out a radical idle situation.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.