Step bars / Sliders

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Step bars? Step bars? :shock: Shucks I just thought they were there to give the mud extra places to hang from. :lol: You mean they're actually intended to step on! :yikes: Gotta admit they sure do get my pant legs muddy nicely. :roflmao:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Post above said "sure do get my legs muddy", or something to that effect.(i'm ignorant how to do quotes).

Anyway, put my bars on last week and told myself I was was gonna cut a 3" hunk out of each brace just to avoid the mud-leg. Did I? NO Maybe yet? YES :D
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

okie s10 wrote:Anyway, put my bars on last week and told myself I was was gonna cut a 3" hunk out of each brace just to avoid the mud-leg. Did I? NO Maybe yet? YES :D
So far, other than a mud hanger, the only "real" uses I've found for mine are for looks and I have to admit once when I slid into a particularly deep wash-out the bar caught the truck and bent up a couple inches in the middle instead of the lower body side or worse the doors. :roll:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just get something functional. A real rock slider comes to mind. Mine has saved me from a ton of carnage.

It is not a cheap method to disguise a BL but, it works.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

So, if I dare ask another "question", who sells em and how much? Or do ya hafta fabricate em yourself? Since my "mudbars" are beat-up, bent-up and lookin sad anyway.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:So, if I dare ask another "question", who sells em and how much? Or do ya hafta fabricate em yourself? Since my "mudbars" are beat-up, bent-up and lookin sad anyway.
Let me work on this for you. Chris or Ckanaffle(sp) is your man.! I wiill try to locate for you but, Jigg will arrive first. Both are 1st class.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

f9k9 wrote:Let me work on this for you. Chris or Ckanaffle(sp) is your man.! I wiill try to locate for you but, Jigg will arrive first. Both are 1st class.
:thumb: :thumb: Thanks!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I will try to link a thread with ZR2USA.com tomorrow. The sliders from Chris are the very best. It is sad that our platform was over looked by so many after market manufacturers.
I am still going to stay away from the threads that you post in. I guess that I am just a jerk for getting irritated..
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

f9k9 wrote:I will try to link a thread with ZR2USA.com tomorrow. The sliders from Chris are the very best. It is sad that our platform was over looked by so many after market manufacturers.
I am still going to stay away from the threads that you post in. I guess that I am just a jerk for getting irritated..
No need staying away. I kinda enjoy your sense of humor and we are all adults here. I know I can be pretty irritating at times. Character flaw. I try (sometimes pretty unsuccessfully) to work on it.
One more question on the sliders. My step bars are pretty light-weight tubing and bend and dent fairly easily. Are the rock-sliders made of substantial material and what about their mountings? The mounts on the step-bars leave a little to be desired insofar as strength and durability are concerned IMO. :roll:
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

S-Series Rock Sliders

You'll never bend them. You can (and people have) rest the entire weight of your truck on them without them breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure if Chris still has the crewcab template... i'll shoot him an email and see for ya.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for the link and legwork Jigg. They look like something I'd want to own. :schwing: Be interesting to see what the price etc will be on the CC. 8)
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Chris no longer has the prints for the crew cab sliders, but said he'd be more than happy to make a set to your specifications. You'd have to come up with a print for what you want for him to make them from though.

A good start for you would be to use the frame blueprints:

Crewcab Frame
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for checking for me Jigg. I think since Chris is unable to follow up due to lack of prints I may take a "swing" at this one myself. One change I have in mind is rotating the bar 90 degrees for added strength. Space and undercarriage clearance permitting of course. Will let all know if and when complete. Thanks again.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Not a problem...

Added strength really isn't necessary, IMO. It'd be more of a waste of rocker clearance to rotate them downward. Provided the sliders are built right, you'll bend your frame before you bend the sliders.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

True but also relative. Depends on the size structural steel and mounting height I use. Also gave me an idea for some splash guard mountings associated with the bars to help keep mud out of rear wheels to help out with my brake problems.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here's Another Set Of Chris Knaffle Sliders For A Crew Cab

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Very nice! Looks like ya got a slider/step bar combo workin there. Those paint black or powder coat?
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

roadrunner wrote:Those paint black or powder coat?

They Are Powdercoat, And Heavy, They Weigh Over 80 Lbs Each
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Next Question, are they bolted to the factory bolts ? Can you draw the plans for another set? :pray:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Horsehammerr wrote:Next Question, are they bolted to the factory bolts ? Can you draw the plans for another set? :pray:
Chris has said that he'd never build another set for a ZR5. An extended cab would work but, you will spend a lot of time with a drill, bits and cutting off the studs that you have now.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

gocntry: Could you get a picture of the frame attachment ? I'm interested in fabricating my own. Maybe a little change here and there but yours are as close to what I want as I've seen. Thanks
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Horsehammerr wrote:gocntry: Could you get a picture of the frame attachment ?
My Truck Was The ZR5 Model So The Sliders Were Made To Bolt Onto The Factory Studs. But You Can Drill The Frame To Mount Them Or Weld Them To The Frame (i believe F9K9's are mounted this way) I'll Have Mine Welded Also.

I'll Be Out Of Town For A While But I'll Get You A Couple Pics When I Get Back. (1st week in May)

The Basic Sliders Consist Of The Following: 2x3x1/4" tubing for the slider itself, 2x2x1/4" tubing for the outrigger bars, and 3/8" plate to mount to the frame (two mounts per side.

The Rocker Protector Consist Of 2" OD DOM tube.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Excellent !! Thank You, and have a good trip. Chuck :D
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Just checking on the underside pictures of your sliders, I guess your not back yet ? Looking forward to these shots gocntry, thanks. Chuck
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Horsehammerr wrote:Just checking on the underside pictures of your sliders, I guess your not back yet ? Looking forward to these shots gocntry, thanks. Chuck
Hey Chuck,

I'm Back But It's Seems It's Been Raining Everyday I Have A Day Off Work :( , I Have This Weekend Off It's Supposed To Rain Friday Of Course But I Should Be Able To Get Your Pics Saturday Or Sunday.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If you have a BL then you will need to relocate your e brake cable.

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

As Always A Day Late And A Dollar Short :lol:

Here Are Some Shots If You Want Something More Specific Let Me Know.
These Were Made For No Body Lift. When I Add Mine I'm Going To Cut The Factory Studs Off And Push The Slider Up As Far As I Can Get It. Weld It To The Frame And It Will Be Good Enough. I Do Not Want To Modify The Slider It Self.

The Slider

Front Factory Mount

Rear Factor Mount

Front Mount

Front Mount

Rear Mount
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Hey gocntry, Thanks for taking the time to do a complete photo shot. You went way further then I had hoped for. I wonder why GM put so many attachment locations on the original step-bar ? I guess thy just didn't trust the Cheap steal they used for bars ? Anyway , thanks for going beyond and I know with your effort I have plenty of Info. Chuck :)
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Horsehammerr wrote:Hey gocntry, Thanks for taking the time to do a complete photo shot. You went way further then I had hoped for. I wonder why GM put so many attachment locations on the original step-bar ? I guess thy just didn't trust the Cheap steal they used for bars ? Anyway , thanks for going beyond and I know with your effort I have plenty of Info. Chuck :)
Glad It Helped Ya :thumb: The Stock Step Bars Had 4 Mounting Spots On Them, Guess The Hollow Tube Design Would Bend Easily Without All That Support.