Is there anything else other than antifreeze out there?...

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Gonzzo
Regular
Regular

Is there anything else other than antifreeze out there?...

Post by Gonzzo »

I have been runnig water and waterwetter for a while now but here is my dilema.

Im about to go on my yearly fishing trip up in the western sierras. The temps will be in the teens at night and i dont want to chance popping a freeze plug or busting a radiator tank or worse.

This passed winter i had the water and waterwetter mixture freeze up on me while on a weekend getaway. No harm done but that made me think about this impending trip.

My question is: is there anything out there(other than green coolant or antifreeze)that i can put in the cooling system to keep it from freezing?. Some type of additive im not aware of?.

Thanks for your help.

Gonzzo.
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

Sorry if I sound rude here I promise that isn't the intent, but I'm from the north and have never heard of anyone not using anti-freeze.
Is there something bad about using it? :?:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I do not know of an alternative for an antifreeze/distilled water combo for cooler temps. Straight water with "Water Wetter" is a common practice in some street rods during warmer months. I plan on switching mine to this combo shortly in my annual battle with high engine temps.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Gonzzo
Regular
Regular

Post by Gonzzo »

brandons4door wrote:Sorry if I sound rude here I promise that isn't the intent, but I'm from the north and have never heard of anyone not using anti-freeze.
Is there something bad about using it? :?:

No offense taken. I live in So. Cal. and temps here get to the 110+ (sumer trip to palm springs, its so ungodly hot there for july 4th that it feels more like a right of passage rather than a vacation). Under normal So. Cal. weather i dont need antifreeze, however im leaving for the eastern sierras in the morning and will be dealing with very cold temps.

Im actually right now going to drain some of the mixture from the radiator and replace with coolant.

F9K9, good luck with that battle im right there with you!.

Thanks.

Gonzzo.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Gonzzo wrote:.............F9K9, good luck with that battle im right there with you!..............
Thanks! Actually I bought a gallon of "xxxxxxxxx" brand water wetter when Advance was closing out the line last winter. I have had some bad luck here when looking for things that are common elsewhere. O'rielly's never heard of water wetter or liquid tape but, it is stocked there now. :lol: From my research local managers have the call on what products are stocked. They are the ones to convince. Wallyworld is the same way. It just helps to make contact with these people and suggest items to be carried. Brule has always recommended this tactic. It just took me a few beatings to believe in it. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Does this "water wetter" elevate the boiling point of the coolant as well or better than anti-freeze? I've been running green with purple-ice. Seems to work well for me. Only temp spikes I encounter are slow-heavy-mud pull situations. Temp still stays low enough to not be a great concern. So far anyway.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

roadrunner wrote:Does this "water wetter" elevate the boiling point of the coolant as well or better than anti-freeze? ....................
Normally, I would link the search of "Water Wetter" for you but, I am getting a little frustrated with personal issues. Seriously, I do not know the answer to your question. I had a miserable time combating temps with my trip to the ZR2 meet in HS, AR last August. If, I recall correctly, whatever thread that the issue was posted in last, I was going to replace the water pump and try the water wetter and distilled water. There is not much else that I haven't tried.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Water alone conducts and transfers heat better than a water antifreeze mix.

Water wetter reduces surface tension and provides some corrosion inhibitors. It does not alter the boiling point enough to be significant.

Adjusting the mixture of antifreeze and water to your climate can provide an elevated boiling points, protection from freezing, corrosion inhibition, etc.

50/50 is recommended since it is safe for most climates. That does not mean it will be optimal.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

I fail to see any need for anyone to get upset with "personal issues" here on the forum. A simple answer will suffice. Brief research has revealed to me that there is essentially no real difference between Redline Water Wetter and Royal Purple's Purple Ice. Both surfactants attacking the problem the same manner.
I never claim to be familiar with every automotive product out there but I always am willing to learn. When that ceases to be the case will be the day they are throwing dirt in my motionless face. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:............Normally, I would link the search of "Water Wetter" for you but, I am getting a little frustrated with personal issues......
Poorly worded. I am having some personal issues that are not allowing me time to link answers to allot of questions. I just check in here when I am able to. It may show me online but, I am usually not at home.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Sure glad we all have the ability to breath and calm down. The most frustrating issues are the ones confronting us personaly, not so much others personal problems, but if we can help others with theirs we win.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN