Possible to run CNG???

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Possible to run CNG???

Post by Rockrz »

Has anyone here ever rigged their truck up to be able to run CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)?

I was just reading and article over at:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080425/ap_ ... s_vehicles

Apparently, this stuff is WAY cheaper than gasoline and if I remember right it's very clean on your engine.

I worked for a guy years ago that had this on his chevy van and he had over 300,000 miles and still going stong.

This may be the ticket to fight high gas prices, and if the CNC is this cheap it would pay for itself even if the conversion is 2 or 3 thousand dollars.

Aren't there companies out there that specialize in CNG conversion so you can run either gasoline or CNG? Anybody know where any of the are?
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

I have thought about this for a long time and think it is something that will be taken seriously in the near future. We here in Oklahoma and Texas have abundant gas reserves that would help reduce our oil use if the conversion could be made. There are several school districts in the state that have switched their buses to CNG, and have been that way for a number of years. But the main hangup, after the conversion cost, is where to fill up. Just no "filling" stations for CNG.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It takes roughly 30% more Propane to provide the same energy as gasoline. At todays prices it still costs more per mile than gasoline.
The storage tank and hardware add a significant amount of weight.
The PCM needs to be calibrated for running propane. Once the maps are changed it doesn't run very well on gasoline.
You still need to run gasoline periodically to lubricate the system. Plan on half the mileage when you do run gasoline.
Our vehicles do not physically have the space required for the equipment needed. It would be a shoehorn job at best and there would be no room left for cargo or normal maintenance.
It is a nice idea in that it does burn cleanly.

We have one in the fleet. Nice idea, but really an expensive PITA.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I guess if one were to do this, it would make more sense to buy a vehicle that was specifically manufactured to be a duel fuel system (gas and CNG)

I still think someone should build a nuclear S10 truck!

Never needs fuel (at least not in our lifetime) and emits no pollution to keep the hippies happy.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
samlauncher

Re: Possible to run CNG???

Post by samlauncher »

hey frndz m looking for the info about CNG plz help…
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re:

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:I guess if one were to do this, it would make more sense to buy a vehicle that was specifically manufactured to be a duel fuel system (gas and CNG)...\.
Most were outsourced conversions. Problematic, as least for the Fords I have worked with.

If you are searching for a kit, perhaps seek the company who did the Ford F150 fleet trucks in the late nineties?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK