cutting of cat converter

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

sonomaextcab

cutting of cat converter

Post by sonomaextcab »

I was told that cutting off my cat converter would give me more power and better gas mileage. Is this true and worth doing. I have a 98 sonoma 4.3L K&N fliter change and a modified air box, with custom exhaust.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Kinda depends on mileage on your truck and if is starting to plug as mine did or not. Mine was 30-50% plugged. Made a huge difference and no more MAF P0101 codes being set now. There are several other good posts on this subject. 8)

Correction added: Pre-cat not cat convertor. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :oops:
Last edited by roadrunner on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Cutting off the catalytic converter would also set the SES light and not allow you to pass emissions. I'd leave it alone. The PRE-Cat would be one that you could do without.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We have a highflow converter. There are no gains in its removal or replacement if it is functioning normally.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomaextcab

Post by sonomaextcab »

ok thanks. i will leave it alone for now.