5 Speed Conversion

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

5 Speed Conversion

Post by green02crew »

Has anyone done one? I'd like to see some pics and hear if it was difficult or hard to do and maybe costs involved. I don't know if I'd ever get to do it but would like to think about it sometime in the future.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Also, I might have access to a 60 degree V6 out of a Malibu, one of the newer ones. Would those bolt up? I know they put out slightly more power and are a LOT lighter. That might make for a valid change if the price is right. Just curious about that one too.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I just did the swap to a 6 speed manual in my 2wd automatic. Swapping auto to manual is not easy but it is not impossible. Plan on removing the entire dash to put in the pedals and the hole in the firewall for the master cylinder. (see pics of heater core replacement) This alone is ~8+ hours of labor. For the rest, its easier as the 5 speeds did at least come in the s-10's 4wd's (right?). So you should be able to dig up a cross member and center console that is correct. I would defiantly be looking for a complete doner truck though. There are lots of little brackets and that hold things like fuel lines and O2 sensors that will be different between the two.
Don't forget a PCM reflash.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I was going along the lines of a newer s-10 and also a CC. I have seen the thread with what you did and its awesome.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab