Transmission Cooler

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

PSUJimm
Regular
Regular

Transmission Cooler

Post by PSUJimm »

Hey all, I'm gonna try to pick your brains for a minute. I'm finally getting around to installing a trans cooler (radiator) for the truck. They had a bunch of them between $30 and $70, mostly varying in size. I bought one listed for Trucks and SUVs up to 5000lb towing capability for about $40. Two questions, one is there any problem with getting a larger cooler then needed? My buddy has an explorer and he picked up the next size down (light truck, 2500lbs) figuring that he's not hauling as much and that using a larger then needed cooler might not be so good. The second question is I've heard some of these coolers have thermostats in them to regulate the temp. The guys at autozone said that's not typical and non of there coolers had that. Any reason I should return the one I've got and pick up a different model somewhere else? I'm not hauling anything heavy with this truck, but I'll be doing a couple of 200 mile runs pulling about 2000lbs so I figure a cooler wouldn't hurt.
[size=75]03 ZR5...[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Here is a good link on ZR2USA about a B&M one.

You can overcool your transmission. The B&M one helps to prevent that and has temperature regulation built in. Also if you set up your cooler to cool before your stock cooler, on the inlet of the radiator it will help to heat the fluid back up if it is too cool. If you live in an area with harsh winters this could cause it to be too cool as well.

Here are some more good links on the topic, a search will yield lots of results.
transmission cooler, Tranny Cooler...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
PSUJimm
Regular
Regular

Post by PSUJimm »

Thanks man, I looked through the two threads and they answered both my questions!
[size=75]03 ZR5...[/size]
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

green02crew wrote:Here is a good link on [You can overcool your transmission. The B&M one helps to prevent that and has temperature regulation built in. Also if you set up your cooler to cool before your stock cooler, on the inlet of the radiator it will help to heat the fluid back up if it is too cool. If you live in an area with harsh winters this could cause it to be too cool as well.

Here are some more good links on the topic, a search will yield lots of results.
transmission cooler, Tranny Cooler...

Please advise at what tempature is tranny fluid too cool and what happens at that tempature that can cause problems to the trans?

Thanks,

Ken
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Your transmission shifts into overdrive above 75*F. Cooler than that would be too cold to achieve maximum economy. For proper operation you don't want the transmission too cold or too warm. The best for longevity of the transmission is somewhere in between. Too low temperatures and too high there is more wear on the transmission.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page