2WD S10 CrewCab

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

2WD S10 CrewCab

Post by Hog18Jags »

Hey, I know that Chevy didn't make a 2WD Crew Cab, but what if someone wanted to. I was thinking about a project for one of these days about taking my 2001 crew cab body and placing it on a 2wd frame. Is this do-able?? What frame would I use Extended cab frame? How much trouble would it be? I think that a 2wd crew cab with ZQ8 suspension and factory rims would look pretty cool. I love my truck as is but was just wondering. Thanks for any information.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If you already have a running CC, why not just lower it, modify the suspension to your liking, and keep the security of four wheel drive? :)

Seems like it would be quite a bit of trouble to put a CC body on an X-cab frame. If anything, pulling the front drive components out of a CC would probably be easier--if you really want just 2wd.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

I understand the difficulty of moving everything to a different frame. What components would need to be replaced on the front suspension? What about the transfer case? I'm just brain-storming to see what all would be involved. 95% of my driving is on the highway, but I love the room that the truck has and to be able to haul stuff. Thanks for your help.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I can see the motivation to do it, personally no but why others might yes. I think it would be a simple bolt on application just time consuming. Ditch the Torsion suspension for a 2wd setup and gut all the 4wd components. Would make it lighter and I think it would look cool as well. It would make for a unique crew thats for sure. Might be able to sell all the 4x4 components and make some cash too if you get the 2wd front end for next to nothing.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i removed the front axle from my old CC. still had the transfer case though... re-installed it all before i sold it... :shock:

putting a CC body onto a X-cab frame isnt as straight forward as it may first seem, 2 or 4WD.
the rear cab and bed mounting points on the frame are different between XCabs and Crews.

i guess it could be done if you want to cut and weld to relocate some mounting brackets.
but why bother, when you can just convert your existing chassis to 2WD?
if the torision bar front suspension is what you dislike there coilover conersions available for the 4WD chassis, (Sy/Ty`s)...

plus, with the front axle removed, the 4WD frame allows exellent access to the bottom of the engine/oil pan, unlike the 2WD frame...
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Isn't the Colorado/Canyon available in 2wd CC? :?:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

That's what I was wondering. Is it a bolt in to replace the 4wd front end suspension with 2wd components? Will 2wd components bolt on to the existing frame? If they do and I take out my transfer case do I need a custom driveshaft or a extended cab driveshaft? Just curious if anyone has done something like this before. I was thinking a 2wd crew cab with a ZQ8 suspension and wheels would look cool. Thanks for your help.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hog18Jags wrote:That's what I was wondering. Is it a bolt in to replace the 4wd front end suspension with 2wd components? No Will 2wd components bolt on to the existing frame? NoIf they do and I take out my transfer case do I need a custom driveshaft or a extended cab driveshaft? Two Piece w/ center bearing Just curious if anyone has done something like this before. I was thinking a 2wd crew cab with a ZQ8 suspension and wheels would look cool. Thanks for your help.
Would be neet just drop the current suspension. Go to the Blazen Low Forum :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Haha I guess you've looked into this a little Jim?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
Jim

Post by Jim »

green02crew wrote:Haha I guess you've looked into this a little Jim?
It's easy when they're both in the driveway together :D

The ultimate 2wd crew...
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Jim, Can you please explain how you did your 1.5"/2" lowering to your CC ? I'm considering along the same lines , but would rather use a tried and true method. I really prefer a level stance, just not as tall as stock.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Jim

Post by Jim »

Horsehammerr wrote:Jim, Can you please explain how you did your 1.5"/2" lowering to your CC ? I'm considering along the same lines , but would rather use a tried and true method. I really prefer a level stance, just not as tall as stock.
Loosened the torsion bars and put 2wd springs in the rear.
With Bilstein shocks it also rides real smooth now.
Best Regards, Jim