Radiators

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Got the tranny cooler and radiator today from Napa and the radiator looked just like stock only slightly thicker. Not too cheap like I had been worried about. I measured the replacement radiator vs the new one and there is not much of a difference. The stock is just under an inch thick while the new one is just over an inch. It is not however 1 and 3/8s an inch thick like advertised rather 1 1/8 or so. But the stock is about 7/8s an inch thick. Still an upgrade. It was time for a flush anyways I think I still had some remnants of dexcool in there. Anyone need a slightly used radiator? :lol:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I was not impressed with the NAPA radiators. Cheap chinese stuff. You do get that lifetime guarantee though. For $40 more I bought the extra capacity radiator from Rockauto

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It is tough to find the larger radiator. Rockauto doesn't list the larger one on their site. The ones listed on Rockauto are the same brand as the ones at Napa. I think the Modine radiators are down to 1" core size now. The Napa I purchased mine from had an older one that was in stock for a while. If you look at the Proliance website now they only list at 1" size even though you can follow the link in the mods page and see the larger radiator. The part numbers for both sizes are the same. You can see the difference between stock and new when they are side by side but it is not much.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I just double checked on all the sites and I could not find an updated 431405 part number that was 1 3/8" the only one listed is 1". Perhaps if it is listed as a Modine part # 2560 like mine was it still comes at 1 3/8"? That wouldn't make sense though since they are the same manufacturer now.

Mine is larger than 1", I would say 1 2/8" but not the 1 3/8" they call it. The stock is also listed as 1" but it is slightly smaller. Maybe they measure them hot after expansion :lol:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:It is tough to find the larger radiator. Rockauto doesn't list the larger one on their site.
Wrong.
They do. I bought one less than 30 days ago.
There is a difference.

You have to look for the correct part number:
PROLIANCE Part # 431405 {#1826}
Exc. Export & Postal Carrier
$146.79

Links to the specifications are listed on our website. They are correct. Trust the part number we have listed. It has not been wrong thus far.

It will come in a Ready Rad box just as our mod page currently lists.

I see no link to Modine , other than rumors I have heard. The Modine stuff I have seen , I would not install in my truck. I think a custom built brass/copper radiator , or Griffon would go in first if I could not find the 431405.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I agree that is the right part number and that is the one I had purchased through our local Napa. However if you click on the information it brings you to an updated spec page for Proliance 431405 that does not look so promising. Either there is a mistake in their spec page or we have both just received old stock that is better.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ready Rad
This is the spec we have linked and the radiator I received.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Might be worth a double check for those that are looking to purchase one, make sure it is in fact larger than stock. Having conflicting specifications for the same part number is unsettling.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Watch out for NAPA, or any after market parts dealer for that matter. If you bring them your own part number they will match it to the part that matches that number in their interchange. That does not mean it will be the same part. They will argue that it is the same, but I know better.

As with everything, open the box and take a look before you buy it if you are buying local. I have found less than acceptable parts regularly. Just yesterday I bought a new water pump only to find damage from the hardware in the box, bent gaskets and a casting imperfection. NAPA's best performance parts...made in China :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Ready Rad
This is the spec we have linked and the radiator I received.

I Just Went To Autozone They Have A Ready-Rad Book. It Lists The 1 3/8" Core Radiator. I Got To Go Play In The Back Of The Store Next, Half Their Boxes Say Ready-Rad The Other Ones Say Spectra Premium. The Spectra Has The Part # 431405 Is Right On The Box, Along With Made In Canada, Opened The Box And Measured The Core It Is 1" And Of Course Their List Price Was $224.95.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

My radiator just got a leak. I am looking for a heavier duty one also. I googled the 1826 number and it came out to a 96-01 OLDS Bravada, automatic and it lists it as 1.37 inches. This might be a good lead to start.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I got mine from O'Reillys, RediRad TPR 431405.

It was $233 1 1/2 years ago.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Called Pep Boys And Ask Them About A Ready-Rad They Said Yep That's all We Carry. Got There It Was A Spectra 1" Core Model.

Called Advance Auto And They Verified It Was A Ready-Rad Box, Went There It Was A Ready-Rad/Prolience Radiator But It Was A 1 1/16" Core Also. Date On The Box Was October 2007.

Is It Possible That They Went To A Smaller Core To Save A Couple Cents? Maybe The Old Stock Had The Bigger Core And The New Stock Has The Standard Core??

Also The Rock-Auto Website Now List 1" Core For Their Specs Also

Rock-Auto
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I put in the Proliance / ReadyRad radiator , purchased from Rockauto.com, yesterday.
The trans line adapters were different. They were larger than the last replacement radiator. This required a new fitting for the trans cooler adapter. The two tanks have a difference in appearance. Color / texture.
This radiator showed a late 2007 manufacture date.

My old replacement had been seeping last winter. It did stop , but I still wanted to replace it. Upon removal I find that the left hand tank with the engine oil cooler appears to be swelled. I am not sure what that it all about. Maybe an internal failure of the engine oil cooler. No oil in the coolant though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

I found this websight with the bigger radiators.

jagsthatrun
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

rick wrote:I found this websight with the bigger radiators.

jagsthatrun
A word of caution is in order here. You CAN get too many fins per inch which will reduce air flow and cooling efficiency. I note that this heavy duty radiator says it has 18 fins per inch whereas the oem model only has 16 per inch.
John Deere fought this problem back in the mid 60's and finally learned they had too many fins per inch. They cut back on them by 50% allowing greater amount of room for air flow through the core which solved their heating problems they were experiencing on their 4020s at that time. Admittedly our trucks don't operate in as dirty or severe of conditions as these tractors do and did but you can loose efficiency if you restrict the air flow just as putting a fine mesh screen in front of the rad will also do. Many learned that one the hard way also. If memory serves the John Deere radiators they were having trouble with had 20 fins per inch. As you can see that is dangerously close to the specs of this heavy duty replacement.
I do agree with them on the fan swap however but don't care much for the loss of 1" in diameter. Perhaps more efficient but would be even more so if it were the same size as ours.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I had seen that site before and I believe those are the same specs as the larger radiator listed here on this site. I have it, works great. The fan seems like a good idea to me but at what temperature does it lock up? Why get a newer fan design if it will accomplish the same task?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

It's hot here, and hot under my hood in the radiator. The electric fans just not cutting it with the AC on at a red light. Bit the bullet and ordered one of the "larger" rads. And while i'm at it, from what I've read here and at ZR2USA, now would be the perfect time to flush the orange gunk out the motor and go back in with water and little Prestone. Gonna give those electric fans one more chance cause they were damn expensive.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yes very good time to flush. Might not hurt at the same time to add an auxiliary tranny cooler and maybe a lower temp thermostat if you have cooling issues. I have not had a single issue even sitting in traffic while at record 100* temps. Until I turn on the a/c, but I guess thats normal.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

TTT
My radiator sprung a leak this morning :x The driver side tank cracked just above the hose connection. Looking for the extra cap radiator. I see conflicting stories here as to 1" or 1"+ cores and part numbers. The numbers listed on the mod page return to a Proliance radiator at Rock Auto, no other info is given. I'll order this, but wanted to order new hoses too. The site doesn't really explain which is lower and upper, so I need some help. Which ones do I order?? I would prefer ACDelco since these have lasted me 140,000 miles.:?: Would you guys suggest I also replace the water pump while I'm at it? New ACDelco #252711 lists for $44.79

By the way, were talking a 2000 GMC sonoma ext cab/crew cab conversion.

Thanks
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

All I can advise you to try to do is take the original mod thread and maybe a short search for something under my name as the author. I would not limit my searches for hoses with AC Delco attached to them. Gates used to be pretty decent. Yeah, the water pump would be on my list to do while I was in there. You have a rig 9 years old now. Allot depends on how long you plan to keep it.

I'd search for you but, my time is really limited, right now. I can try for an old friend after Sunday.

Reed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Not trying to be a stick in the mud about this but I don't understand the real benefit of having the oversized radiator. I don't have any cooling problems and it doesn't appear that anyone else has. I want to replace my radiator with one that will last a very long time. I believe Brule stated his replacement radiator developed a leak?? I'm ticked off that mine leaks in the first place. Unless they have been poorly maintained, radiators should never leak and the EPA should shove this right into G.M's face. Of all of the leaking G.M. radiators out there that people haven't replaced including mine(I have the green stuff in mine) not good for creeks, rivers, etc, etc. What kind of warranty does Proliance have?? Who makes a radiator that will last?? I have the money to replace mine now but now questioning Proliance radiators. I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg for an overpriced product either.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are heating problems for those in warmer climates. I posted my experiences and there have been others.
Plastic radiator tanks can and do develop leaks and cracks sometimes. Good strong tanks are a way to prevent that.
Mine was good. I don't know why it formed a small leak. Most would probably have lived with it as it did not leak all the time. I was headed to Moab and did not want to take the chance.

Proliance was bought up too , as I was told. You are not going to have much choice as there are only a few manufacturers. Many brand names come from the same place.
Look it over yourself and judge the quality. The Proliance part number is still good and as long as you get the bigger core, I believe you should be in good shape.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:............ don't have any cooling problems and it doesn't appear that anyone else has......................
:?:

Over heating

More overheating

Over heating 2

Over heating 3

I don't even want to recalculate what it cost me (I am glad that I have forgotten) to finally solve my over heating problems. Rest assured that it was well over 1K!

This is 2009 and your rig is five yrs old or older. Suck it up and just spend the <$200. I am afraid that there is not a better alternative unless you spent the money on an extended warranty.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Now wait just a second.
"Over heating" was about a clogged precat
"More overheating" is about mods he installed. Nothing stated why he installed them.
"Over heating 2" is about higher amp alternators.
"Over heating 3" is about a electric fan mod he is about to install. Again nothing said about the radiator causing the over heat.
It gets pretty hot here in TN and in KY but I know my radiator has been not completely full of coolant and the temp has gotten above normal but still didn't overheat. I'm sorry guys. I'm just saying I have not read any threads posted here stating that an over heating problem was caused by the radiator being too small. Maybe I've overlooked it. Wouldn't be the first time. :D
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

All of the links posted were related to over heating. One mod leaks over to another and then another. If, you have no over heating problem then just buy a new oem rated radiator. You had good service out of the original one!

I merely gave you links to avenues that you may want to explore. Since no one has had over heating problems then, please ignore them. :D :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:Now wait just a second...................
:lol: I'll do better than than that. I'll wait until Sunday night when you have taken the time to skim more than the thread titles. It took me four years to stumble over my answer to over heating problems. Take a couple hrs to read the threads we have linked. Brule may word it much more eloquently than I can but, as abstract as electric fans and alternators may sound, it all pulls together at the end in solving an over heating problem.

If, a stock rated radiator is all you need to solve your problem then I would be grateful. It has served you well!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep in mind that "overheat" is relative. If you are comfortable running on the edge , then you may be fine.

True overheating is the radiator purging to the expansion tank.
Like he said. You have some reading to do.

Cooling issues discussion-
Tech Tips - Thermostat Theories and cooling system explained
Cooling System - mods run cooler

The radiator alone is not the whole story, but it is a big piece of the puzzle.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I'm ticked off that mine leaks in the first place. Unless they have been poorly maintained, radiators should never leak and the EPA should shove this right into G.M's face. Of all of the leaking G.M. radiators out there that people haven't replaced including mine(I have the green stuff in mine) not good for creeks, rivers, etc, etc.
Just a thought to point out. Every vehicle I have ever owned has developed a coolant leak at some point, either internal or external. This is in my mind normal and expected since water (especially hot or steam) is one of the most corrosive liquids on the planet. It might take more time the say battery acid but any plumbers who specialize in steam or hot water systems will point out it's not if it will leak but when. With the under hood heat and vibration along with plastic mated to aluminum I would simply expect a coolant leak at some point. If you want a "lifetime" radiator go to a shop specializing in heat transfer coils for heating systems and have them build one of solid copper tubing and aluminum for you even then they will not warranty it forever. If the difference in price is minimal and the extra capacity radiator will reduce temps in the system it will result in less corrosive effects over it's life span so why not go ahead and get it?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I'm from northern NH, not far from 04cewvt in fact as he is just a little further north than I but located in VT. On hot summer days, I cannot run the a/c in stop and go traffic. I also need to be careful driving offroad at slow speeds on hot days as well. And I have the larger capacity radiator, cooler t-stat, tranny cooler, ect ect. I was over 230* the other day with ambient temps in the 80s. a/c cranked, in traffic. Did it overheat? No, was it going to? Possibly, I turned off the a/c before it did. Had I been running the stock radiator, it very well may have been worse. The cost during replacement is worth it. Go bigger, go with the stock design. Radiators get heavy use from normal everyday driving, between bumps, their location which receives everything from rocks to dust to animals/bugs and everything inbetween. I think they last rather well. On that note, if you want a stock radiator, I have one that we can arrange getting to you. I replaced it with the larger capacity one to help w/ heat. No issues when I took it out.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote:........................... if you want a stock radiator, I have one that we can arrange getting to you. I replaced it with the larger capacity one to help w/ heat. No issues when I took it out.
Hopefully YellowCrewCabber is out having a good time or about a third of the way through the alternator thread.. :lol:

I really meant no offense and I hope he didn't take it that way. :oops:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I meant no offense as well. The replacement of the radiator with a larger one worked for me. I do have the stock one going without use though.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I'm not trying to offened anyone nor disrespect their vehicles here either. My complaint is the fact that my radiator developed a leak when it was two years old. Vehicles I have owned in the past (all G.M.) never developed radiator leaks. I'm not saying that they would never develop leaks but they did last alot longer than two years. So should I expect to replace a Proliance radiator in two years?? Please guys understand I am not complaining at you. I am complaining that you, me, WE pay huge amounts of money for products that don't last and that is wrong in my book. Any way how much did you guys pay for your Proliance 431405 radiators??
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Image Did you replace a leaking radiator under warranty or has it been leaking for 3 years since you noticed it?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I replaced a perfectly good radiator in '05 (3 yrs old) with the extra capacity one. No leaks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I swapped mine out less than a year old. I wonder if those with problems are running Dex still. I changed mine once after the left tank was swelled and had a small place leaking from time to time. Not really bad enough to NEED a change, but before traveling to Moab, I changed it.
Once in eight years is not a bad average.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Mine it still doing good.. 2002 and 60,000 miles... Intake gaskets now thats another story...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

04crewvt wrote:Image Did you replace a leaking radiator under warranty or has it been leaking for 3 years since you noticed it?
Good point, thank you. When I purchased the truck in July 2004 it had right at 14k miles on it. By 2006 it had over 30k miles and started leaking soon after.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Jongo8 wrote:Mine it still doing good.. 2002 and 60,000 miles... Intake gaskets now thats another story...
I replace my intake gaskets this past Thanksgiving. Fixing the intake leaks the system will build up more pressure and causing the radiator to leak even worse. Which I expected it to do. Gradually it's been getting worse.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I read that a few members here had paid $200.00 for the new radiator. Is that correct??
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re:

Post by Jongo88 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:I read that a few members here had paid $200.00 for the new radiator. Is that correct??
No.. I just got mine for 155.00 shipped.... I like it. I got it today and it is now in...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re:

Post by HenryJ »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:I read that a few members here had paid $200.00 for the new radiator. Is that correct??
:wave: Guilty as charged. I am smarter now.
At the time I purchased local , as this was still uncharted waters. Once I had all the information and part numbers , we were able to find them priced better.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Radiators

Post by Horsehammerr »

I just read this whole post and seem to have missed one small detail. The part number or web site for the Extra Capacity Radiator, at 160,000 miles I've started leaking and need a new radiator. Would like to go with the ex.cap. style. Are those numbers and or addresses available ? PLEASE 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

From our website: Extra Capacity Replacement Radiator
Go/Dan is a subsidiary of , or was bought by Transpro the radiator still has the same part # 431405 under the name Ready-Rad - Catalog - Here's the spec page. The Go/Dan Ind.,or parent company TransPro # 43 1405 replacement radiator has a 1 3/8" core.The stock one is a 1" core.

This is a direct replacement radiator and includes both the engine oil cooler and transmission cooler. All adapter fittings were included, as, or if needed.

Don't worry about the additional 3/8" creating problems, of the extra core thickness 1/2 goes forward. The space between the condensor and radiator is reduced by 3/16".

3/8" doesn't sound like much, but that is 3/4" more surface area per tube. Multiply that times the number of tubes and it does add up.

Transpro was merged with Modine and the new company is Proliance. Part numbers remain the same so far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

8) 8) Found at Summit: Vista-Pro Ready Rad # PLI-431405 $ 138.95 + Delivery and Handling $ 11.95 = $ 150.90 All matching measurements with 1.37 core as close to 1 3/8 " as you can get. They say this is the Proliance 431405 so we will see.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds real good. Let us know how it looks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Horsehammerr wrote:8) 8) Found at Summit: Vista-Pro Ready Rad # PLI-431405 $ 138.95 + Delivery and Handling $ 11.95 = $ 150.90 All matching measurements with 1.37 core as close to 1 3/8 " as you can get. They say this is the Proliance 431405 so we will see.
UPS delivered yesterday, fast shipment wrong part :x . The box had the right #, the radiator had the right number label stuck on it, but the core measured exactly ONE INCH. the Specs. on the Summit web sheet say 1.375 ". That translates to exactly 1 3/8 ". I called , they said " OOPPS we will measure the next one before shipping ". Supposed to go out this morning. We'll see. More later. :shock: :roll:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You may want to see if someone stocks Modine? NAPA had the correct radiator locally at a reasonable price.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

After reading your posts on the extra capacity improvement, I have simply been waiting for a good reason to change mine. I did start at NAPA and got the story that the one inch core was all they could get. So I did the multiple hours of searching to stumble on to Summit listing the 1.375 = 1 3/8" core PLI-431405. The rep. told me ,it was probably a factory labeling mistake and they would open boxes and find the right one. We'll see. So far no cigar.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It has probably been about three months ago now since I checked the NAPA replacement. At that time it was the thicker core. Things change rapidly though.
BTW, their listing only showed it as a 1" core.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

HenryJ wrote:It has probably been about three months ago now since I checked the NAPA replacement. At that time it was the thicker core. Things change rapidly though.
BTW, their listing only showed it as a 1" core.
Are you saying NAPA listed a 1" core and sent a 1 3/8" ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:...Are you saying NAPA listed a 1" core and sent a 1 3/8" ?
Yes

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:x Well we did the old switcharoo with Summit and got the same 1" core for the second time. So, I went to Napa and told them about your 1 3/8" listed as 1" and they had in stock the one listed as 1". You guessed it, in the box was a 1". The man behind the counter suggested I ask you what the part number was on the one you got. Maybe we could locate through the manufacturer an 1 3/8" core with that #. I sure hope you have that #. :bow:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry I don't. It was a Modine radiator for a late model S-10. Not mine I just happened to see it and checked it out. Suppliers change so quickly it may be hard to find who has them now , if any.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

You mite want to check out JTR... I don't know if he still has them but thats where I got mine... It mite be worth a check.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Very good point. I had forgotten about JagsThatRun.com

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Just checked JTR and they don't offer a replacement for '96-'04. They no longer carry the 'vette radiator, but it was only a 1 1/4" core. Can't really see 1/4" making much difference anyway? Guess I'll just have to "bite the Bullet " and put a new 1" core in and call the leak fixed. I'm a little tired of this search. :whew: :blink:
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Did you just look on his site?? I had to call him when I bought mine...
You don't want the Vette radiator as it has the wrong size hoses...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

1/4" more tube can really add up. That is 1/2" more surface area. Add up all those tubes and the numbers get more impressive. Any increase is a benefit.
Their website is a little confusing. I think their replacement ($130) is the one that is a little thicker core and is available. Not great for a V8, but probably good for the V6?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Oh well, the stock rad. got me 160,000 m. with no problems, so I'm just going to stay stock. The only thing the original did wrong was crack and I think we all do that with age anyway. :crazy: :rock: 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have wondered if a lower pressure cap might help, or if the coolers might be swelling and cause that?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'll have to wait till I get it out and look it over. Stay tuned.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can pry loose the fingers that clamp the tanks to the core. Then the tank can be pulled loose from the core. Do this to both ends and the core can be turned in to your local recyclers as scrap aluminum. Well worth the effort.

That will give you a chance to check inside and see if the cooler is bulged., or if the tank is just drying and deteriorated.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I wonder when the time comes that my over size radiator tanks crack if I could just get the tanks replaced???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is possible , but getting the tanks to seal is a real problem. The foam seals allow different expansion rates between the tank and core. Crimping them evenly and to the correct pressure is the key.
I have done a quick fix with used tanks a couple times. Varying results. The key is a seal that is not dried out. I never did find a source for new seals.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Most reputable radiator shops do not recommend trying to remove and replace tanks on aluminum core radiators for a good reason other than the seal viability although that's an additional consideration. The problem is once un-clamped the tabs on the radiator are weakened and will not clamp back down to their original new holding power. This results in weak seals even with brand new tank seals and leads to more problems in a short time. Best estimates are that 1 in 4 radiators may be successfully repaired this way. The other 3 will fail immediately to shortly after. Perhaps okay as a temp get-by but not a good long term repair. Additionally many tabs will break off on the first attempt at repairs.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Well don't that bite the big one...
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Can't find the fluid amount specs. so I'll just ask. What is the amount of coolant for the whole system ??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Stock Specifications
11.7 quarts
Add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter! Good stuff and good science.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks and got it Wetter. 8)
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

8) I mean very Cool. It was only 70 yesterday ,but I did my best to get it hot and could only manage 180. That's with 195 thermostat. I may not have to go to my 180 stat. this summer, we'll see. I guess the old one could have been a little clogged. The Trans. and E. Oil coolers showed no swelling. I 'M HAPPY ! :rock: