straight pipe exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

straight pipe exhaust

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im thinking about putting straights on my truck but i couldnt find any one that had done it...but im going to leave the 2 converters but have no muffler.....will i have enough back pressure? :?: and will i have any loss in low end power?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: straight pipe exhaust

Post by HenryJ »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:im thinking about putting straights on my truck but i couldnt find any one that had done it...but im going to leave the 2 converters but have no muffler.....will i have enough back pressure?
Yes.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

ok thanks....but will i have loss in low end power? :idea:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have considered going that way myself but heard that it did not sound too good.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Bweeny247 had straight pipes that exited as shown.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i hard a s-10 the other night with straight pipes and i thoughtt it sounded good.....but do u think ill lose low end power if i run straight pipes but keep both converters
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I don't think it would be an issue, I ran mine with nothing after the cat for a couple days.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

what did it sound like?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well it wasn't even a straight pipe out the back so it rattled in the cab big time. Wasn't bad at wide open throttle believe it or not but when you were just cruising down the road it was some loud. That and the popping noise got tiring after a while when you would let off the gas.

A straight pipe might direct the noise away from the cab but I would still expect the popping sound to be there from the lack of back pressure. I hear it now when I rev it and let off but thats the only time it is really noticeable. A muffler really helps contain that.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

yep always had straight piped the truck...drove it off the lot, across the road to a mom and pops muffler shop, had them cut the muffler out and weld in a pipe. the stock pipe is small enough that you don't lose low-end grunt. but it will flow WAY more than the factory muffler. I could turn over my 33's without a problem.

as far as sound goes, I loved it! when you start it up on a cold morning it has a deep aggresive growl almost V8 like. at low RPM's again it's deep and aggresive, but when you get to the mid to high RPM range you can tell it's a v6. Tips can make a difference too. generally larger diameter tips deepen the sound even more.

On the highway (55-60 MPH) it was quiet. on the freeway (70-75 MPH) a bit loud, but not obnoxious or full of drone.

I really wish I had made an exhaust clip before I sold it. try searching youtube for exhaust clips, that'll give you some idea, but doesn't do the sound justice.

hope that helps.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

where u running both the converters? and i think ill probly get straights this week and ill post a video if i can figure out how to do it lol :P
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'm very interested in hearing how it sounds with straight pipes. If you could get a video clip that would be awesome!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

didn't touch the converters, almost everyone runs straights up here. no emmisions checks and rarely enforced sound laws. if you do like i did and cut out the stock muffler and weld in a pipe I call it the "20 bucks and 20 minute" performance exhaust. when you start it up for the first time I know you'll be smiling from ear to ear :D
post that clip!
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im getting straight pipes put on on friday....r u guys sure i wont lose any low end power :?:
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

Single exhaust keep it close to stock or 2.5" at biggest, duals DON'T go bigger than 2.5" and you'll be fine. If you go bigger than 2.5" duals you WILL lose low-end grunt.

Don't forget that exhaust clip! :D
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im running duals....with 2.5 inch pipeing and a 3 inch tip so will that be ok? :?: and ill do the cideo clip....i just need to know how to upload it
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

get a photobucket account
www.photobucket.com
you can upload photos and videos there and then make a link here.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im getting straights tomorrow and i hope they sound good :shock: and i have a flowmaster muffler on it now so it will deffinatly be louder right? :arrow: and i want it to "pop"
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

o and another question...are the straight pipes going to set off any engine warning lights???!!!
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

You wont set off any lights as long as you don't mess with the 02 sensors... if you're going straight pipes after the cat, you should be fine
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

thanks....im not going to touch the converters
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You won't set off any SES lights, but I bet you'll set off a few car alarms...especially in parking garages! :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

ok i got straight pipes today :evil: i had a flowmaster and its actually a deeper tone with the straight pipes but once u get over 3000rpm it starts to souund like a v6......but i actualy gained power.... my 0 to 60 time was faster that it was with the flowmaster.... but it isnt as loud as i thought it was going to be :cry:
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:ok i got straight pipes today :evil: i had a flowmaster and its actually a deeper tone with the straight pipes but once u get over 3000rpm it starts to souund like a v6......but i actualy gained power.... my 0 to 60 time was faster that it was with the flowmaster.... but it isnt as loud as i thought it was going to be :cry:
ahem.....exhaust clip :wink:

yep, that's what I meant. If you can keep it in the low to mid RPM range, it's real deap and aggressive, kinda gnarly. get up in the RPM's and you know it's a V6

Not as loud as you thought.....geesh man, ummm......cut off the pipe right after the cat, if that's still not loud enough, run the pipes up into your cab! :lol:
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

it sounds good :D i just wish it was a little louder....and i wish it would "pop" when im going down the road like the v8's do....but ill try to do the exhaust clip this weekend :)
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

ok i have a video clip. . . . heres the link http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk31 ... I_0525.flv
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

straight pipe exhaust ( video)

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

it sounds different in person and im also going to do another video of it going down the road
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I like the looks of it and the sound, nice!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Cool! Thanks for the clip!
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

not a problem..... 8) hopefully ill have a video of it going down the road by the weekend :P
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

Ahh, I miss my old sonoma some times :)

Sounds real good, and online video clips never do sound justice.
Looks good
:D
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Most cameras have a crappy microphone, that's why :lol:

And I think the video got encoded to mono sound, as well.... Or at least has a sample rate lower than 44100kHz, and a low bit rate as well... Probably 96kb/s

Also, helps to have a subwoofer in the computers sound system :lol:

Mine rumbles pretty good, but is quieter than the straight pipes.
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i have sstraight pipes after the cat now. . . .just isnt loud enough for me ....is there any way to run true duals?
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

I know a guy with a 2002 cc and he has cats y piped straights all the way back hes had it that way for over 5 yrs now and hasnt had an issue
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

thtas what i have now but i want ''true duals'' i dont want it y'd off i want 2 seperate pipes all the way from the headers back . . .is there any way to do it?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:thtas what i have now but i want ''true duals'' i dont want it y'd off i want 2 seperate pipes all the way from the headers back . . .is there any way to do it?
It's not impossible, but it will be hard to route 2 exhaust pipes down the passenger side since the t-case and front driveshaft are in the way on the drivers side. :?

I believe there are 2 members over @ ZR2usa that have "true duals" on their trucks, but I haven't seen pics so I can't really help on the routing. :shrug:

Steve
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

it would prove to be an intersting routing if and when you do post pics