Roof rack suggestions/advice

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bigsekc8

Roof rack suggestions/advice

Post by bigsekc8 »

Good afternoon. I am new to the forum so forgive my ignorance as a noob. I have been doing a lil searching in the forums for some information on a roof rack, but thought it would be easier to just solicit suggestions.

I have a 2001 crew cab that I bought new. I have about 170 K miles on it and plan on using it till she can't go anymore. I got a new snowboard last spring and am looking to add a rack to haul it. What would some of you with experience recommend what I should I do for a good solution. I know there are obvioulsy tons of chices. Permanent, removable, tons of manufacturers and the like. I also have a ARE lid on the bed and have entertained mounting a rack on that instead of the roof. Anyone have any experience with something like that. I will probably be using it for my snowboard and maybe a couple sets of skis for my running mates but I am guessing once I put something up there, I will find other uses. My truck is pretty stock except for the lid and a new radio. I do not necessarily want to break the bank either for a rack.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Cheers.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I went the route of a nice Thule rack. A little pricier but the accessories are there to be added onto it. Anything you can imagine. It is also a very quality rack and can go on a future vehicle with the purchase of a new fit kit. That really makes it worth the purchase to me.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you have $200-$300 to spend on a rack, check out rackattack.com

They have some nice gutterless clamp ons. That is the easy way.

The cheapest route is to buy a used rack at the salvage yard and install it. I have been picking them up for $15-$25. All the stuff to install it will double the price. $50 for a rack is not bad though. There are a couple good threads on the install. Mine is a '91 Bravada rack.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Not to hijack here, but I do remember reading where some of you use baskets on top of your roof racks. I like the idea, and found this, ( http://www.discountramps.com/roof-cargo-basket.htm ) ,for what seems a reasonable price. I would like to see some pics with baskets attached if anyone has any, and hear opinions on this one
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try this thread: Safari rack / basket

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK