whats next for my ZR5?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

whats next for my ZR5?

Post by blackZR5 »

got the 12" kicker behind the rear seat, the truxedo bed cover, cragar soft 8's, and a delta 40 w/3" tail pipe... what's next?

i'm not looking to lift it on some tires, since i sold my XJ on 33's to get this. looking more for all around performance upgrades
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Air Box! Best Bang for your buck!! then this one! If, you are shooting for handling mods then let us know.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

throttle blade to come soon, air box mod im not so sure about. is it really comparable to a FIPK or is it more just to save money? i dont wanna have this truck all "home brewed" like my Heep was

handling mods for sure. ive been reading all kinds of stuff on here for about the last 4 months, but just wanted a little guidance as to maybe the order of operations
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blackZR5 wrote:throttle blade to come soon, air box mod im not so sure about. is it really comparable to a FIPK or is it more just to save money? i dont wanna have this truck all "home brewed" like my Heep was

handling mods for sure. ive been reading all kinds of stuff on here for about the last 4 months, but just wanted a little guidance as to maybe the order of operations
Stay tuned for Henry to chime in but, if you ever want a BL then skip the POS FIPK. We both have/had them and regret the decision. 3" catback is up towards the top of my list but, I am not interested in duals or sound. I want end results, not sweet music. BTW, I just sold my XJ so, I know a little about them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

so should i just swiss the air box and drop in a k&n, or just a $6 fram air filter?
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i have a question about the rims u have what size r they? what size tire r u running and did u have any rubbing?
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

poly bushings on everything

do you front sway bar first
depends how many miles...but deff new shocks
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blackZR5 wrote:so should i just swiss the air box and drop in a k&n, or just a $6 fram air filter?
I maybe did not make the links obvious enough in my first response but, there are two links there. Swiss it and invest in your choice of after market air filter.

Please refrain from mentioning Fram anything. Search will provide you many reasons why you should drop it from your list of options :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:i have a question about the rims u have what size r they? what size tire r u running and did u have any rubbing?
Who are you directing this question to?

Mystery Lift!
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:i have a question about the rims u have what size r they? what size tire r u running and did u have any rubbing?
they are 15x8 3.75 bs and they rub on the rear of the front drivers side fender, but not the other side... and only when im turning throught a bump, braking and turning, or in reverse and turning... LEFT. it will only rub in a right turn if im flying through a bump

its tolerable right now, cause i really like the stance, but im searching my butt off to find a solution shy of smaller tires (235/75)
Last edited by blackZR5 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

f9k9 wrote:
blackZR5 wrote:so should i just swiss the air box and drop in a k&n, or just a $6 fram air filter?
I maybe did not make the links obvious enough in my first response but, there are two links there. Swiss it and invest in your choice of after market air filter.

Please refrain from mentioning Fram anything. Search will provide you many reasons why you should drop it from your list of options :wink:
i saw that, and i was saying that i plan on doing the throttle blade mod soon, but wasnt sure about the air box. i wasnt aware of the fram thing, but thanks for that heads up. i guess ill most likely do both mods at the same time, since ill have the box off already for the throttle blade, and probably just drop the $40 for a drop in K&N
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do the headlight support while you are there. Factory air box and modified headlight support
If you have a 1" or slightly larger hole saw, vent the upper part of the core support and the hood latch brace to improve airflow.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Hey Brule, I did the Swiss job on my light support and the bracket. This is the first I've read about the core support and hood latch brace. ??? :?: :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did this recently. I drilled two large holes on the hood latch brace just below and beside the outside temperature sensor. Then on the core support, you can see in this picture where I swissed the bracket-

I also drilled holes in the core support on the front side so that the air can flow straight through. That boxed section usually draws from the oblong hole in the bottom of the front. Not a big help probably, but every little bit helps , right?

If you really need pictures, I can pull my grille and get some.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I'm not real clear with what I see in this shot. If it's not a big hassle I would very much like to see exactly what you did. I too believe every little bit helps and my engine notices the extra air from the box cut and the swiss. Thanks a BUNCH !! :woohoo:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Core support (four holes) :

Brace vented (two holes) :

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I know your drilled those hole in towards you condenser. I will not even begin to think about doing that with my luck. :lol:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks Brule, I figured out the core support part yesterday, did just like that ,only I attacked the pieces between the holes with my handy sawsall and now have a hole 6" long by 2" wide. Like stated, every little bit helps. I may come up with a change to the latch brace, say replace with 3/8 " rod in similar configuration ? We'll see.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

did the shocks (gabriel control max), rear brake pads, air box w/K&N, and throttle blade today... WOW

drives and sounds like a totally different truck now. thanx guys for the advice, definitely spot on
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Maybe I missed it but, how many front pads have you replaced? Keep us updated on how you like the shocks. Gongrats!
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

f9k9 wrote:Maybe I missed it but, how many front pads have you replaced? Keep us updated on how you like the shocks. Gongrats!
none yet. they had new fronts when i bought it from the dealer, but apaprently not the rears. the squealers let me know i needed new ones though