exhaust?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

builder26

exhaust?

Post by builder26 »

what is the best exhaust for my 01 gibson ? or flowmaster ? I am looking to buy soon and how hard is it to install aftermarket headers
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What do you plan to do with your truck?

If you plan to install a body lift, headers are not an option. If you want to have a shop do a cat back, you could save some money.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

i'm with henry. flowmaster 40 with 3" tail pipe

nice deep tone, but not loud at all... just kinda purrs
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

blackZR5 wrote:i'm with henry. flowmaster 40 with 3" tail pipe...........
Delta flowmaster :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Personally I do think the 3" catback and a delta flow muffler is the "sweet spot" for our 4.3L

There have been a few install the Gibson system. It may be the only true bolt in system. Try a search for "Gibson" and you will find some good reading.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
builder26

Post by builder26 »

not planning to lift just want some extra horsepower for towing and plowing I'm the only one stupid enough to run a 6'9" fisher mm but in my defense i rebuilt the front end to handle it .... somewhat
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

f9k9 wrote:
blackZR5 wrote:i'm with henry. flowmaster 40 with 3" tail pipe...........
Delta flowmaster :wink:
yes

i forgot there are 2 different ones... i got the delta
builder26

Post by builder26 »

i can get a gibson catback for $290 or is having a shop make a 3" catback with a delta flow going to be cheaper ... by the way just installed k&n intake sounds like my truck can finally breath
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I paid under $200

- ThunderII KE7CSK
blackZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by blackZR5 »

HenryJ wrote:I paid under $200
i could only find 1 shop in town with 3" pipe and the capability to bend it over my axle... $250 out the door for me

i woudl say you got one helluva deal
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Still less and you get much bigger pipe.

Read these threads: Exhaust sounds and Exhaust tips
HenryJ wrote:The thing to worry about would be lifespan. If you do not drive far enough regularly to warm the system and burn out the condensation. That is a good reason to use the SS pipes.

Systems performance will differ with driving habits, terrain, and geographical location.
Unprotected pipe may last a long time in a desert environment, if you drive far enough to burn out the condensation. The same pipe might not last a year where humidity is high and short trips are the norm.

Some things I know I have said before. Bigger or multiple pipes take longer to heat. Gasses move faster over a hot surface than a cold one. That means a smaller single pipe could actually be better than a bigger one or duals.

It is a tough balancing act. I would quiz the local guru at your muffler shop. He will know what works for your area...

Each system can have it's own dynamics and each piece can change the overall tone.

It is much the same as any brass instrument. Length, diameter, and muffling devices change the sound. Press the keys on a trumpet to lengthen the pipe and change the sound. Change the size of the pipe to a tuba and the tone deepens, Add a large bell for a tip, like the flugel horn or smaller one like a coronet. The sound changes again.

Your exhaust is much the same. How do you want your instrument to sound?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:I paid under $200
X2! I was worried about aluminized versus stainless for my weather with only five miles to work. Not a problem 4 yrs later.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

My gibson is aluminized, it was ten years before the muffler rusted at the inlet
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
all-gm

Post by all-gm »

Has anyone seen an improvement in mileage and/or performance after installing the Gibson cat back system? Is there any resonance in the cab?
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I have no resonance in the cab. No real milage improvements, but not sure.

I do have headers also, my 95Z gets between 15 and 20 depending on how much highway driving I do.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
all-gm

Post by all-gm »

Thanks.
I’m getting 19-21 on my weekly commute with the stock exhaust.

I’m just trying to decide if it going to be worth the money installing a cat-back system.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

all-gm wrote:.............I’m getting 19-21 on my weekly commute with the stock exhaust.............
Be thankful and say thank you to the S-10 gods. You ain't gonna improve that mpg with anything short of being towed on a trailer!
builder26

Post by builder26 »

I get 19-20 mpg whats the norm for the cc ? Just put on gibson exhaust sounds great ! I also took a look at the stock muffler WOW talk about choking the engine . Any ideas on where i should dump my money for hp gains ??
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I would kill to get that mileage, most of us don't break 18 drafting semi's with a tailwind.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

all-gm wrote:Thanks.
I’m getting 19-21 on my weekly commute with the stock exhaust.............
Makes sense now! :wink: The only 20 mpg I got in my ZR2 was next door in IN. Unless he is is SE OH, it is flatter than a pancake. :lol: