LAPTOP cable / programming / scanning software ?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

dhawke
Crew
Crew

LAPTOP cable / programming / scanning software ?

Post by dhawke »

Almost forgot! While we're on the topic of ECU mod's....

Does anyone know where to get the cable/software so that I can hook my Palm into the maintenance port? Or even my laptop for that matter.

Thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good topic! (Don't be afraid to start a new thread)

I split this to make it easier to search for.

I hear quite a few using the Autotap .

Seapahn has it (I think) if he doesn't post here soon , you might PM him.

I assume it comes with the cable. Looks like a very good tool. I'm going to have to invest in a laptop first though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Nice! That just might be a next purchase since I do plan to do most of my own work on my truck, but first I need to replace a nearly dead riding mower! Why do things always break around the house when you finally have a little money to spend?
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

I hear ya; Gary H! The wife just doesn't seem to realize the importance of any sort of vehicle modification. The Autotap looks like what I want. I just scanned the website. Does it do any reprogramming or is it just for reading the ECU? Or will I still need to shell out the money on the Hypertech to do any changes to the ECU?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

From what I could see, all it does is read codes and sensors in real time. Not that it wouldn't be a help in tuning provided the Hypertech PPIII gave you a little more flexability than it does. What the PPIII does give you is a lot of adjustability over just a chip plug in but you can't override the basic engine tuning programs that the PPIII has.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So far as I know there is not a program to make changes to all the PCM functions. The TechII will, but you have to get the upgrade program from GM, which doesn't do individual changes , just a complete reflash of factory software.

Something like "LS1 edit" would be cool , but not availble for the 4.3L, as far as I can find.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Sounds like the Hypertech will be the first expenditure. Maybe after a decent set of tires!! I'll wait on the Autotap until the warranty runs out.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thought I'd update this thread with a couple links:

Autotap

Carputing does have LS1 edit for the 4.3L now :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Came across this selling for under $200 on ebay-
http://www.autoenginuity.com/

Wonder if there are more options out there now?
Anyone have one of the OBDII cables and software yet?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Time for another update: I finally won the bid on a copy of Autotap that includes the Gm enhanced parameters

Now I can test modifications a little more precisely :thumb: and actually have some data to prove or disprove the old "butt dyno" ;)

I did find an outlet for cables too, AKM Electronics

- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Laptop connection

Post by snowsurfer »

A month ago or so I got a Harrison laptop/pda, code/scanner since I had a few SES lites pop up after installing my Powerdyne.

It's a pretty easy hook up but I don't think there's any way of enhancing the present onboard computer. I''m no computer genius so it's going to take me awhile to figure out all the things it really can and canot do...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plugged in Autotap today, WOOOHOOO this is really going to be fun!

Unlimited guages, hundreds of parameters that can be monitored.
Looks like that I can see about anything that is going on :D I'm a pretty "visual" person and this is just what I needed, much nicer than the AutoXray. Almost wish that I had a problem to diagnose ;)

I just took it for a quick run down the road checking out the IAT sensor readings, Coolant temp. , torque, trans temp., ignition voltage, throttle position, etc. Pretty cool :)

I think that I see some playing with IAT sensor relocation when time permits ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:Plugged in Autotap today, WOOOHOOO this is really going to be fun!

Unlimited guages, hundreds of parameters that can be monitored.
Looks like that I can see about anything that is going on :D I'm a pretty "visual" person and this is just what I needed, much nicer than the AutoXray. Almost wish that I had a problem to diagnose ;)

I just took it for a quick run down the road checking out the IAT sensor readings, Coolant temp. , torque, trans temp., ignition voltage, throttle position, etc. Pretty cool :)

I think that I see some playing with IAT sensor relocation when time permits ;)
What did the whole thing run too finally(Cable and software)? Can it created "gauges" that you can display on your computer screen? Reason I'm asking cause I'm looking into one of those LCD Radio screens so it might give me a reason to hook up a PC or laptop in the crew.

Sweet!

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:What did the whole thing run too finally(Cable and software)? Can it create "gauges" that you can display on your computer screen? Reason I'm asking cause I'm looking into one of those LCD Radio screens so it might give me a reason to hook up a PC or laptop in the crew.
I ended up paying $265 , it comes with a nice hard case for storage. You can buy it from Autotap new for $199 + $99 for the GM enhanced data.

The software is free to download, then you need a "key" which is specific to the serial numbered "programmed cable box".

I really did not do enough looking for cheaper / free options there are several publically developed programs out there for scanning OBD. Most seemed to be geared to the early systems, although I did find at least one compatible with OBDII.

I planned on getting this or something similar the last time I upgraded computers, that is why I bought a laptop.

Next thing that I need to do is get my GPS running reatime on the laptop. Big screen GPS! :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:...Next thing that I need to do is get my GPS running reatime on the laptop. Big screen GPS! :D
Did that ^ using DeLorme's Earthmate GPS receiver and Street Atlas 2004. It works great! :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Loaded my laptop up with the 2004 USA Streets and had many glitches, especially in the voice command areas (I know that it is not a propriety to you HJ but, it's a new toy). I did a little searching with Delorme's support areas and am sure that most of you knew about a "clean install" but I didn't.

I uninstalled it, did a clean install. I then spent maybe 30 minutes with the voice reognition training today, plotted a course and Wham :lol:

The clean install also speeded up my stelitte aquisition by 10 fold! :)

Love the thing and cannot wait to have top_sgt give me a location to meet him :lol:

Be patient with me folks, I love toys :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So long as it is running you can never get lost. If someone asks , say that you are still going the direction that the arrow is pointing , so how could you ever get lost ;)

All joking aside it really is a nice way to travel. You always know where you are on the map, and which direction you are traveling.

Input you fuel capacity and estimated mileage and it will even tell you when to stop for gas :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It looks like EFI Live is compatable with our PCM. It is still beyond the range of price making it affordable for the "backyard tooner", but nice to know it is available.

Here is a link to GM vehicle calibration information: CalID by Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Autotap has a pretty good Technical Library started
Easy to understand , straight forward information geared to the DIY'r.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

So, Autotap allows you to tweak your ECM just like the Hypertech Max Energy?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nope. Just to read all the parameters. It is read only not write.
LS1Edit is write only, no read. You need both to do both.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

That's strange. Seems like someone would come up with one prog you could load on a laptop that would not only do it all, but do it all for multiple vehicles.

Actually, I think the Hypertech might be best for what I'm wanting to do. I just want to play around with my ECM and tweak it a little.

I wasn't planning on having to get a degree or anything 8)
Besides, I'm planning on keeping my engine stock.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:Anybody ever tried using HP Tuners?
They're online at http://www.hptuners.com

Sounds like a good product

I've got a thread started on their board at
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19778
asking about details on this product.

The guy is basically saying you can ajust almost anything.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sparky

Re: LAPTOP cable / programming / scanning software ?

Post by sparky »

has anyone tryd the dynamic spectrum tuner from jet??? hooks up to a laptop. looks intersting to play with from the add in jegs im wonderin if its $350 cool thow?
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: LAPTOP cable / programming / scanning software ?

Post by green02crew »

I wouldn't say its worth that for our trucks, this coming from someone that tuned their PCM. Not worth it. Maybe a dedicated track rig? If you can use it on more than one vehicle and have a couple that can use it or the cash to blow, I say sure and let us know how it is!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page