This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jflatley
Crew
Crew

Question about Cut Out Fender Flares

Post by jflatley »

Hello All:

I have read the Cut Out Fender Flare modification page. I have actually read it a few times and printed it out and sort of walked through it while looking at the truck.

With that said, I do not have the Skidz Fender Flares. I am planning on using truck bed liner from a can. I also am NOT planning on doing the rear of the truck with the cuts, only the front. I plan on taking the rear flares that are stock on the truck and painting them with the bed liner.

I do have a few questions about doing this before I begin.
Say that I find my top dead center and mark it and measure all of the angles and all for the front wheel well. I make my cut and trim and deburr the whole area.

When I go to push the lip behind the main body of the fender, can I weld this in place? Since I am not putting flares over the area, I would prefer to not have a pop rivet on the surface.

I have always cut and welded on older vehicles that did not have as advanced of a computer system as these do, and I do not want to fry anything. Even after dsconnecting the battery and all, I do not want anything to happen.

Another thing, on the rear stock "Trim" around the tires, these are just teh push in plastic clips right? I want to take them off and paint them on the ground to not have any runs on the truck.

Any comments would be awesome, I know a few of you have done this modification and are pleased with it, let me know.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Question about Cut Out Fender Flares

Post by HenryJ »

jflatley wrote:When I go to push the lip behind the main body of the fender, can I weld this in place?
Yes.
Look for the thread on KCustoms install of the Gross Motorsports cut-out pocket flares. He did finish the fenders with welding them.
Also look to bubaloos install on the first set of Skidz flares. He also welded.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK