Airbox Mod's

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

dhawke
Crew
Crew

Airbox Mod's

Post by dhawke »

I've searched the old post, and someone made mention of an airbox mod. What's this involve? Besides cutting up the airbox, that is. I'm not quite ready to start hacking up the airbox on my '03 yet. Removing the silencer? Anyone got a link to a site that shows this mod?

Thanks.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I don't have any pics but basically the "silencer" is held in with one pop-rivet. Take out the airbox and just drill out the rivet and then the silencer just pulls right out. It's not much of an improvement but it beats chopping up the box. At least with this you can always go back to stock if you want.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Is the silencer in the intake tube?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

If you pull the box out, you can see it. Basically it's the tube that goes through the front wall of the airbox. It has a kind of trumpet shaped end on it that extends up to behind the left headlight. It's the shape if it that acts as a silencer, and also a restriction. When you take it out the remaining hole isn't much bigger, but it's a slight improvment.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i chopped mine out, probably a bit too much, you only need to take the wall out that faces the head lights. also while you are at it, if you notice there are some useless plastic peices behind that headlight that constrict the air flow, take those out, and also, you can drill out the holes in the "honeycomb" shape plastic as well. that will help air flow
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is the link to the info on the mod page: Airbox mod

I did basically the same thing, but left the side intact , added some thin belting to seal it to the radiator support and swissed both the headlight support and bracket.

EDIT: I could not find the old information on swissing the headlight support, so... I did a quick page for these mods. Cut Airbox & Swissed Headlight Support It was a better way to show what I did differently anyway :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, he cut that box better than i did.

but see this pic

where he drilled out that plastic bracket, i just took it off and the one underneath it. so now its a big hole :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Thanks guys. I'll try this when I get a few moments to myself! It doesn't appear to be too drastic a hatchet job on the airbox.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Update

Post by HenryJ »

In a quest to be able to use the 180* stat , again....

I added some radiant heat insulation to the side and back of my airbox. Attached with "xmas-tree" fasteners. Hopefully it will reduce the intake air temps a little.

I also relocated the IAT sensor to the airbox lid. Hopefully it will read a little cooler air.

I posted to a couple of forums and received no response to my question, so I'm trying it:

The ECT sensor and IAT sensor readings are used , by the PCM, to determine the amount of time it should take to reach the pre-set threashold of 178* on my 2001.

Before the switch to the larger radiator I was able to run a 180* stat without problems.

After the switch it set the SES light, thinking I had a stuck thermostat.

As near as I can tell the 180* stat was opening for the first time right at the point the PCM expected the temp to be in excess of 177*. The rush of unheated coolant was enough to drop me below the threashold.

Hopefully by relocating the IAT sensor to a cooler location and insulating the airbox, the difference will buy me enough time to break the 177* barrier.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Update

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:In a quest to be able to use the 180* stat , again....

I added some radiant heat insulation to the side and back of my airbox. ...

I also relocated the IAT sensor to the airbox lid. Hopefully it will read a little cooler air....

Hopefully by relocating the IAT sensor to a cooler location and insulating the airbox, the difference will buy me enough time to break the 177* barrier.
[crossed fingers] So far it looks like it DID work :thumb: Five days now with no trouble codes or pending codes!

I plan to read the plugs this weekend. I just want to see if they are still burning clean. It is too soon to tell if mileage has been affected, but I haven't noticed any difference at this point.

Maybe I finally figured out a way to fool the "finicky" 2001 PCM ;) [/crossed fingers]

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The IAT relocation did do the trick.

Recently while replacing my radiator I took the grille out and added some ventilation holes. I drilled three 1.5" holes in the core support above the oval hole. This will allow air from behind the headlight support to flow to the air cleaner directly. The holes are in front of the oval hole on the inside of the core support pictured above.
I also drilled two holes , side by side, in the hood latch bracket. This is just below the outside temperature sensor. It may not be huge, but any improvements in ventilation can't hurt.

- ThunderII KE7CSK