solid front axle (Petersen's 4 wheel & off road)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

solid front axle (Petersen's 4 wheel & off road)

Post by Capt. Morgan »

:D I just recieved my copy of Petersen's 4 wheel & off road. They have an articalon a new solid axle swap. Its very interesting mainly because they state that this kit should cost less than a 6 inch lift for our ifs. if your intereted in this kit pic up a copy or keep your eyes open for you copy in the mail if you receive this great mag. :D

Happy Wheeling :P
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yeah, that's LS1Mike's (from ZR2USA) shop. The kit is roughly the price of a IFS lift but, the axle isn't part of it. On that blazer they used new Mopar D44 axles with electric lockers. They were going for $1200 each but now are closer to $2000.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is that the one they prototyped for Rodger? (Black ZR2)

Mikes is Blue with silver stripes.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Is that the one they prototyped for Rodger? (Black ZR2)
Yep

Here Is The Article:

Article Page 1

Article PAge 2

Article Page 3
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Probably would be best to do both axles at the same time due to the JK's 5x5.5" lug pattern. You're still dealing with Dana 30 outer axles so, there goes another 5-600 dollars to upgrade the axles to chromalloy. Then there is the drive shafts at $400 each. Hmmmm, then there is new wheels due to the bolt pattern. Not making fun, Capt. Morgan, we're still glad there is a new kit to have a basis to start with. The kit could work on many different axles and Dana 30s, 35 and Ford 8.8" are plentiful and pretty cheap. I am still looking for the elusive Ford 9" rear and Dana 44 front out of a '78 or 79" Ford 3/4 ton. Time is running out because I have until May to find them.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I agree f9k9. It's great there is finally a kit, but the weeknesses of the Jeep would then be had. First thing that would get bent/broke will be the steering link, then here comes more money spent on a hi-steer option also. But maybe this will be their intruductory kit, then offer a serious one after that.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

quickbiker wrote:...... maybe this will be their introductory kit, then offer a serious one after that.
I am as hopeful as the rest of the S-10 world is but, I do not see anything else coming out of it. Mike needs to go where the money is and looking at the time that it has taken for small runs of cut out flares (years), I don't see many of his units being ordered. They are always a ton of "after this semester, I should be able to order" threads. The S-10 lovers are now owning them because of the money for custom work or they are owners of used rigs facing very little after market support for bolt in options. I know that you aren't a heep fan but, you have to admit there is a ton of bolt on stuff for them. I am playing with both platforms but, I am sure you know that many recognized heep and axle suppliers have already gone into the great void in recent months.

I guess my point is that Mike is not likely to upgrade the S series kit and those diehard fans are just going to have to learn how to fabricate (a roll of the dice, with your life at risk) or choose the route that you took and find a good shop and just pay the piper! My "Piper's" first name is Dave and if, I can locate the stuff I need and the money to pay him, I will start a build thread. :lol:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Never said I wasn't a heep fan, but I am a truck fan. I got upset at heep when they dropped the Comanche line. I've had plenty of heeps, 78 SJ, 89 MJ, 93 YJ, and currently 96 XJ. I'm still waiting for a Rubicon truck. But then would still not get it, cause I got everything I want in my S10 right now.

The kit definitly better than any IFS lift would be. Nothing beats a solid front axle!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Paul, you certainly put me in my place and I apologize for the comment. Yes, Jeep missed a lot of opportunities during the last couple (or more) decades. I was just recalling my early post government wheeling days when my crew was yanking a CJ out of a mud hole, that I just went through. Pictures of the event suddenly became non existent after you made the crack that photos of Jeeps being pulled out by S-10s will never surface or words to that effect. I ended up with a photo of a yellow strap behind my crew under tension and a pic of a yellow strap on the CJ but, shots of the connection were never produced.

At least, we both know what wheel base we would prefer on most obstacles :wink: