Gas tank Skid plate

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Gas tank Skid plate

Post by fallvitals »

I have done a lot of searching/reading on here about skid plates. I think I have secured a set of the three skids (aluminum), hopefully for less then a Benjamin.

So, now the gas tank skid,,, im not seeing a whole lot of info on it, and its sketchy...

I found a gas Tank skid plate, I think its carbon fiber, from a 99 blazer,

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/06/e1/790b_1.JPG

Will it work? From what im reading, if i understand correctly, it will but ill have to modify the straps/mounts some?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think anyone has used a Blazer fuel tank shield. Our trucks share the same frame as the extended cab trucks, so they are usually the donors for the fuel tank shield.

I am not saying it won't work, I have not tried it. Let us know how it works.

I am not sure that anyone with a plastic fuel tank has installed a shield? I know at least two with steel tanks have shields. I don't recall anyone using a composite fuel tank shield, yet.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

While it is better to err on the side of caution, our fuel tanks are in a pretty good location to avoid a direct hit on them. I don't have a shield on mine and I have done moderate wheeling on rocks with it. I am very mindful of it's location when negotiating an obstacle though. I have slammed the TC and front diff shields hard enough that I have had to remove them and persuade them back into their original shape.

Get with a local off road club and you will find members that can help you make make a skid from an '94-'97 extended cab ZR2 work.

Not many people can fabricate like Brule and it is sometimes hard for him to remember that. :wink: Get involved in some local clubs and you will soon find out who is willing to assist you, has the tools and has the time. You'll be surprised at the various backgrounds that club members come from.

I've wheeled with machine shop owners, parts store managers and dentists to name a few. It will pay off, I promise!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thats all good info... makes me think I might not need a gas tank skid.. which i dont plan on doing much offroading,, but, I definantly want the 3 front skids before I try any thing.

Ill check into local clubs. thanks for the info guys.