Lets talk window vent shades

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Lets talk window vent shades

Post by fallvitals »

My old s-10 had window vent shades, thought they were lame until i got my crew cab a few weeks ago, it doesnt have em, and now I miss having em.

Browsing the net, I found real slick looking "In Channel" visors on ebay. I searched here found this thread, http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... indow+vent

Since that thread is about 3 years old, I was wondering if there were any new opinions on in channel vent shades. It seems in that thread the in channel ones dont work as well as the adhesive backed ones. But in channel wins in the looks catagory.

Browsing ebay I found these set for a Crew Cab, adhesive backed, for $40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto-Ven ... .m20.l1116

And these set of In Channel Vents by Wade for $62 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0329049557

I dont think those will fit,, I think they are actually for a Blazer... waiting for seller to reply if they will fit a Crew Cab.

$22 differance... in channel looks much nicer... but according to that thread dont work as well, and for some folks dont seal well... so asking for opinions.

I know the adhesive ones are pretty tough, well hiking someone broke into a car parked next to use, and tried to break into mine, they must have been spotted, they hit my window twice, left two gouges in the glass, no cracks, and cracked the vent. It was broken for 4 years, never came loose, nothing. Im leaning towards the adhesive for simplicity and price... :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Still like my WeatherTech Weatherflectors. Links in the first thread linked above.

Don't be afraid to bring an old thread back to life. It is much better to add more , or updated information to an old thread than to start another. That way all the information stays together and you don't have to wade through a whole bunch of threads to find out what you want to know.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

If you install new ones, add a spot of clear silicone at each inside corner. The 3-M double sided tape holds great when it's new. But after a couple years of weather and washings, it looses its holding power.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Aight, ill do that next time when I find an old thread I want to revive.

Hm, not sure. I saw the weathertech ones, they are $95 on their website, mayeb I can find a better price, but it seems a bit high. Those Wades in that auction have good reviews online, but on their website they dont have em for a crew cab, but that auctio makes it sound like it will fit :?: Or just go with the reliable adhesive backed ones... hm hm hm... if I do go with the adhesive backed ones ill try that silicone trick DLP.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't like what the stick-ons that attach to the painted surface do to the paint and how they trap dirt around the voids.

On the in channel I don't like how the rear can slip inward and block the window from rising. No problem with the fronts.

Make sure the tint is a good match. I have seen way too many turn opaque or purple with UV exposure. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for some times.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jflatley
Crew
Crew

Post by jflatley »

I have the stick on type, and instead of placing them on the paint, I stuck them to the outside of the window weather stripping. Then tucked the front corners behind the mirror hanger. The look like they are suppose to be there and are not aftermarket.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have the Lund vents on my ZR2 and I had the AVS vents on my CC. The Lund vents are made out of a better quality plastic and are the ones I would recommend to anyone looking for window vents. :D

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I have had mine for 4 yrs now and the adhesive is starting to fail. Anyone know where I can buy that adhesive striping??
Jeff
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Any part store. It's the 3M red tape. Worse part is removing the old tape. Your thumbs will be sore for a couple days but, it is very doable!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Thanks Reed.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:Any part store. It's the 3M red tape. Worse part is removing the old tape. Your thumbs will be sore for a couple days but, it is very doable!
On a hot day, spray the old tape down with some WD-40, (or something first), & let it soak into the tape.....Doesn't hurt to have a beer & a smoke while you wait for to soak in. :wink: Not as much pealing involved, and it will not kick up your arthritis as much there f9k9...... :hide:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:...............On a hot day, spray the old tape down with some WD-40, (or something first), & let it soak into the tape.....Doesn't hurt to have a beer & a smoke while you wait for to soak in. :wink: Not as much pealing involved, and it will not kick up your arthritis as much there f9k9...... :hide:
The thread was split. I mentioned using Goop and to let it soak I haven't tried WD40 but, I will next time. Removing adhesives, drying out ignition components and removing road tar is about the only thing that WD40 is good for!

BTW, it's not joints that get sore it's the skin that get's raw.Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I find really easy to remove the red 3M tape, just wait till a below 0 VT winter day and pop the stuff off no muss no fuss and way to many things coming off that you don't want to, that's why I go with inside the window channel style.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:BTW, it's not joints that get sore it's the skin that get's raw.Image
Well, try using the edge of your pocket knife "carefully" along the edge of those stuck on clumps next time. I just loosen the edge of the clump a bit, then smoosh the edge of clump with the thumb and pull. 8) No raw thumb from rubbing the goo.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:................Well, try using the edge of your pocket knife "carefully" along the edge of those stuck on clumps next time. I just loosen the edge of the clump a bit, then smoosh the edge of clump with the thumb and pull. 8) No raw thumb from rubbing the goo.
Worth a try if, I had a knife as sharp as a butter knife. Otherwise, the waterfowl would start committing suicide. :lol:
davejb851
Regular
Regular

Goo Gone

Post by davejb851 »

I use a product called Goo Gone for many different sticky tape situations. I would caution that being neat is a positive, and make sure you keep it off painted surfaces.
As has been inferred on this forum a number of times, do the job right, keep it clean, and remember, you have to live with it.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Goo Gone

Post by F9K9 »

davejb851 wrote:I use a product called Goo Gone.........
Finally, another believer! :lol:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I tried Goo Gone this past weekend without much success. It was sore thumbs for a couple of days. I tried 4 or 5 different solvents but couldn't get any of them to work very well.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

I have the weathertech in channel ones and no problems yet after almost 3 1/2 yrs
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dabber wrote:I have the weathertech in channel ones and no problems yet after almost 3 1/2 yrs
Looks like mine are six years old now. Still doing fine. Good investment.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

The vent visors I have were on the crew when I bought it. The only problem has been the double stick tape that had came loose. It was a job replacing it but now they're good as new.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

Looks like mine are six years old now. Still doing fine. Good investment.
At least I know i got a couple more good years left in them :lol: