Removing adhesive

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:Thanks Reed.
NP! Invest in a large can of "Goop" IIRC. Was in a metal can like a paint thinner in the paint section of my local wallyworld. I lust looked for mine but, I must have used it all. Similar to that "Goo-Gone but, better. The stuff is good when painting with latex inside the home. Cleans up dried 'mistakes" easily.

Strong fishing line is good to remove the visors or any badge on your rig too. I hate advertising for a dealer so, his add always comes off when I get home if, he won't do it.

Hair dryer or careful work with a heat guns helps too. Too much heat and the residue sticks to your fingers burning the begeezus out of you.

My tail gate debadged of the dealer's ad and the 'S-10" logo.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I hear ya Reed. No free adverstising on my truck either but you removed the "S-10" logo?? That's sacralige!!
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Really? You want more? All mine are on the shelf too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

since were headed this way in the thread, I have removed dealer emblems from my vehicle before. I started to remove the one on my girlfriends new cobalt, but heres isnt apiece of plastic with tape, its actual sticker.

whats the best way to remove that? carefully peel it all off?

And its gonna suck cuase each letter is its own sticker....
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:I hear ya Reed. No free adverstising on my truck either but you removed the "S-10" logo?? That's sacralige!!
Hey, it can work out in your favor.

Years ago, our neighbor's son had a year or two old cavalier. I think he was looking for a high end car. The car dealer asked him what car he had, because he had not seen one before. He should have tried to pass it off for a new BMW on trade in, lol.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:.................whats the best way to remove that? carefully peel it all off? ........
Hair dryer or heat gun on low setting.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:
fallvitals wrote:.................whats the best way to remove that? carefully peel it all off? ........
Hair dryer or heat gun on low setting.
fun fun. How easy, or hard, is it to mess up the paint with a hair dryer?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The hair dryer is safe for the paint. Just pick the warmest day that you can and maybe let a finger nail or two get to the "need to trim" length and start peeling. If, it won't budge or breaks the "decal" add more heat.

These Chevy flames came off in 30 minutes. :wink: :wink:

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Aight, well, sounds like its gonna be "fun" :P

Nice lookin' truck.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:.........Nice lookin' truck.
Thanks, that 3 1/2 yrs and IIRC after the BL and and 30x9.5 Yokohamas on it. It seems a little timid now. :lol:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I just posted this in the other thread....But if you pick a nice warm/hot day, you can spray the decal down with some WD-40 to help release the adhesive. It also aides in the residue that is left behind once the decal/emblem is gone. I used the WD-40, floss or fishing line, and a rag for the excess adhesive on my truck emblems and the Harley reflectors. :wink: No hair dryer required with this method.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Since cold works so well to remove 3M tape using a can of dust off upside down might be a good way to remove adhesive. When sprayed upside down the propellant comes out and is well below freezing. Just keep your fingers protected cause it will freeze them as well.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]