Ditching oil filter/cooler lines?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

smallblocker
Regular
Regular

Ditching oil filter/cooler lines?

Post by smallblocker »

Hey guys, has anyone ditched the remote filter on their 4.3, and stuffed a shorty oil filter on the block? It looks like I have room for a filter on the block, but I don't know about getting it in and out? The front diff is an AWD unit. Thanks.
Steve
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I don't recall any such discussion here in the past but I could be mistaken.

I am curious though, about the necessity of the remote setup and the "cooler" lines in particular. As I understand it there's more to this arrangement than simply convenience of location for filter changes. In our crewcabs anyway, I believe there's a sort of heat exchanger setup where hot oil from the engine passes inside cooler lines through an area of coolant in the radiator. Is this heat exchange not necessary to maintain safe operating temperature?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

barch97 wrote:I don't recall any such discussion here in the past but I could be mistaken.
You see what I did there? I covered my ___ :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
smallblocker
Regular
Regular

Post by smallblocker »

I tried a search, but they're such generic words, that I got 900 matches, anything from remote keyless entry, to diff oil threads. I've done AN/stainless braid filter relocators, and they work awesome, but I'm on a tight budget with this one. I bought the Blazer for 500 bucks with a knocking 4.3, and a 100Km engine from a wrecked Extreme for 300 bucks. I got the good felpro problem solver metal/rubber intake gaskets, as I find it easier to do them now, rather than 6 months down the road, But they were 100 bucks.

I just think it to be a huge restriction, all that piping, and wonder why so many 4.3's eat rod bearings. I'll just run a good 5w40 full synthetic. Temps up here don't often get very high anyhow, and I doubt my girlfriend will be towing.

I did find the good info on the # of crimps on the lines. That's good to know, I'll be keeping an eye out for that, as I replace many oil cooler lines at work.

A guy on my V8 S10 site gave me a # for a filter that he uses on his 4.3 4x4 block, so I'm gonna give that a try

Thanks for your input guys.
Steve
smallblocker
Regular
Regular

Post by smallblocker »

Nevermind. Got the engine in today, and the shorty filter fits, I just can't get it in or out. Plan B.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
smallblocker
Regular
Regular

Post by smallblocker »

haha what would you like a pic of? I'm supposing I could pull the Y-pipe every oil change! That would keep the manifold studs from seizing haha.
smallblocker
Regular
Regular

Post by smallblocker »

I got the filter out. Because the engine mounts tear apart, you can lift the engine an inch without unbolting anything. I bought the block to filter line set for 100 bucks and plugged the lines from the filter to the rad with 3/8ths pipe plugs.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Very interesting.