Building , copying or making flares

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Building , copying or making flares

Post by Jongo88 »

It would be nice if someone with the skids flaires could pop a mold off them then we could have as many as we want????
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wish it was that simple. Unfortunately there is more to it than that and the cost for one set would be huge. Many sets is the way to do it and it is a large investment.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Years ago when I worked a a parts store I took one part at a time home from a Baha kit and poped a mold off each part. I made my own kit. I returned the parts cleaner than they were when I took them... I made like 10 kits from them...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So if I send you a set you will make ten and send three back to me? You get 80% of that deal.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Are they made out of fiberglass?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

You have my attention, lol.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have the know how... It realy won't cost that much..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo8 wrote:Are they made out of fiberglass?
No. Plastic. Not going to handle being heated while vacu-forming off them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Kills that idea...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is the original thread: Makin' Room....(KCustom's flares)
this covered the Gross Motorsports Pocket Flares and the Skidz Flares

The molds are still out there somewhere? The Skidz flares molds are spent. I have no idea what KCustom's molds might have been. He never returned my PM.

A mold could be made from flares we have . or even an original design. The fiberglass cast could be used to make fiberglass fenders or a plug for vacu-forming.
The investment would be significant.

The option to run flareless is the cheapest solution and the way I will likely go should my reserves be spent. Another option may be to try Diversified Creations - RPO ZR2 Custom Fender Flares?

No one has yet tried using late ninties Ford F-150 Bushwacker flares. I have seen them adapted to other vehicles and it looked GOOD.

I think there are plenty of avenues to try if the motivation is there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thinking out loud here.......... I wonder if, Superlift has info on KC. At least, we could mark those molds as unattainable if, he could confirm it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Contacting Kicker maybe more direct as he was the OE designer for their audio products.
I do have his real name and a five year old cell phone number.

One BIG problem was the size of the molds and the fact that He lives on Oklahoma. The next is the lack of facilities near me. Add to that the cost of materials and you darn well better want to go into production just to recover your costs.
now who in their right mind would begin production on flares for a vehicle that stopped production five years ago?
A smart person would be building a product for those with money buying newer rigs to fix up. Or maybe for Jeeps ;)

Like I said, no real motivation on that front.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

Not to interrupt, but coming from an off-road/Jeep hobby, I have built a few fender/flare setup for my Wranglers. Sure it is a bit easier working with a flat mounting surface, but still doable on our trucks.

With that being said, has anyone attempted to build a flare out of a metal? So you would build a mounting plate that contours the vehicle, and then skeleton the framework onto it. After that you can fill it in with sheet metal or your choice and finish it off with a coating also of your choice. To me this seems like a good possibly easier alternative to plastic/fiberglass for some. This also can serve as additional protection to us off-roaders if done correctly.

Sorry if this has been a topic covered in the past.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, your talking tube fenders with flares, it hasn't been discussed before. It would be allot more complicated on our trucks versus The tub on a TJ.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I believe he is referring to building flares from steel as an integral part of the fender.
It is labor intensive and mostly faded away back in the "Starsky & Hutch" days.
Not many with "skilz" to do those anymore. They tend to make the fenders very rigid. That can be a problem on a 4x4 that flexes lots.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MoJoe
Crew
Crew

Post by MoJoe »

f9k9 wrote:If, your talking tube fenders with flares, it hasn't been discussed before. It would be allot more complicated on our trucks versus The tub on a TJ.
Yes, in a nut shell, and the complication I understand when compared to a "Jeep" platform, just curious if it has been discussed and/or executed. Something I have been thinking about since I bought the truck since there are no real off-the-shelf solutions for enlarging the openings. Not all that practical for a daily driver, but an option none the less.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Something like a "high line" kit. Would be nice. Most people walk by one without seeing the difference. 37s with 2.5" of lift.

That's odd you bring this up. I got a cal today for AEV. It concerned their updated Nth Degree TT and their outdated install instructions. :x