Seeking advice for exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jerms
Regular
Regular

Seeking advice for exhaust

Post by Jerms »

Hello everyone first post here. My quest for a new exhaust system led me to this site and I think its great!

I have been doing a lot of research but need honest opinions before I make my decision. I am looking for a cat back system for my sonoma to improve mileage and performance, as well as give it a nice tone.

I've been looking at mostly flowmaster as I'm familiar with their tone and sound, I had a super 40 on my camaro which I liked. Anyways I noticed the only kit flowmaster makes for our trucks is a 50 series with with a resonator, and its about 3 bills. Its also a single outlet only. I would rather have a dual outlet I'm not crazy about the single side exit tips.

Will I get more performance/sound out of a single outlet or a double?

And about the resonator..I don't feel its necessary just an added cost to the kit thats not really what I'm looking for. It just quiets it down right? Or does it take away that ricey sound?

I would like to know if I can weld in a super 40 to the stock system and what I can expect for sound and performance. I planned on keeping the stock manifolds and both pre cat and the cat reguardless of the setup. I'm just concerned about the routing to the rear bumper with the spare tire. Is there enough room? etc. I don't see a lot of you guys running duals thought there might be a reason why.

I've also heard the 50 series is somewhat quiet on our trucks, anyone agree or disagree? Is the super 40 too loud or whiney when you get on it?

Any help or advice is appreciated!
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

Hey Jerms. I went thro the same thing a couple of months ago, when i was deciding on my exhaust.

First off the Flowmaster 50 is really quite. I know this because that was the muffler i origonaly was gona get, but when i talked to my exhaust shop they said a Magnaflow would sound better on a V6 than a Flowmaster.

Here's an link to the post i did about my exhaust. I think one of the pics shows how the shop routed the pipe around the spare tire carrier
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7299

Hope this helps :D
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Here is what the Flowmaster Force II kit with the resonator sounds like on a Crew Cab. The 50 series muffler was swapped out for a 30 series (similar to a super 40).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FtRGx_JBU0

Here is the same muffler on my ZR2 without the resonator. It sounds much louder in person! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpVGLgeby0

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I liked that flowmaster force II clip... very nice.

I had a magnaflow on my old 4.3 2wd s-10, sounded just like this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RL1SRTZ ... re=related

his might be a bit louder though. But pretty much the same, very quiet until you get on it, then its still not very loud, i was never happ with it. but his might be a bit louder.

I was looking at a dynomax kit for my crew cab (I wanted a dynomax on my old s-10 but the shop couldnt get it..). I heard they arent too loud though...

Well before posting i decided to youtube a 4.3 s10 model with a dynomax,,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTeNN0XE1_U i think ill stay away from it and go with flowmaster this time,,, maybe consider gibson... the dynomax sounded nasty IMHO.
Jerms
Regular
Regular

Post by Jerms »

Killian both of your setups sound great. So let me get this straight, on the blazer you have just the 30 series with a 3 inch tip and are running stock everything else? You leave the cat and pre cat on? And does the zr2 have the same size piping as my crew cab?

It sounds pretty good. I would rather just weld on a super 40 to my stock setup if thats the kind of results I can expect. The force two kit is a waste since I don't want a resonator or 50 series.

I would like to run dual outlets on my setup for the look. I am just wondering if single sounds better. Does anyone know?

And paintball rocker I like the look of your setup. Similar to what I'm looking for. Not sure I can do all the routing myself. I've got a mig welder but no pipe bender. Was trying to avoid the shop I hate it when people touch my truck.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jerms wrote:...I would like to run dual outlets on my setup for the look. I am just wondering if single sounds better. Does anyone know?
If you want the look of duals, "Just do it" ;)

exhaust, what to use?
exhaust options
Exhaust sounds
Don't rule out a resonator. It has its place. I have a 4" resontator tip on mine.
HenryJ wrote:I also can't stand the tinny can sound of most free flowing mufflers. A glass pack sounds much better , but don't hold up as long, so by adding a resonator sometimes you can mellow the tin.

They make resonators to add inline too. They are just a really short large diameter glass pack. For me the tip was recommended by my muffler system guru, and his system turned out great as usual.

The long slant cut bologna tips can really give a deep thumping tone.

Each system can have it's own dynamics and each piece can change the overall tone.

It is much the same as any brass instrument. Length, diameter, and muffling devices change the sound. Press the keys on a trumpet to lengthen the pipe and change the sound. Change the size of the pipe to a tuba and the tone deepens, Add a large bell for a tip, like the Flugel horn or smaller one like a coronet. The sound changes again.

Your exhaust is much the same. How do you want your instrument to sound?
Exhaust Mod for power/mpg w/o giving sound an consideration.
New Gibson cat-back

I still think a free flowing muffler on a single 3" catback is the sweet spot for these trucks.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.........I still think a free flowing muffler on a single 3" catback is the sweet spot for these trucks.

I got a kick out of you looking under my rig in Moab and remembering why our two rigs sounded so much alike. I copied yours to a T but didn't have room for the resonator. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Your truck just screams "tough". The sound of the exhaust matches the look perfectly. Nice deep rumble.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jerms wrote:Killian both of your setups sound great. So let me get this straight, on the blazer you have just the 30 series with a 3 inch tip and are running stock everything else? You leave the cat and pre cat on? And does the zr2 have the same size piping as my crew cab?
My Blazer still has the factory y-pipe, pre cat, and main cat. After the main cat I have the 30 series muffler and a Gibson 2-1/2" mandrel bent tailpipe and Gibson 3.5" SS tip. Yes, my ZR2 has the same size exhaust piping as the Crew Cab.
I would like to run dual outlets on my setup for the look. I am just wondering if single sounds better. Does anyone know?
Sound is a personal preference, I think that a dual exhaust sounds better. If sound is all you care about then go with a dual exhaust. A single exhaust will make a little more power than a dual exhaust because it is more effiecient. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

All I can say is that I am extremely happy with my $180 exhaust. Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:All I can say is that I am extremely happy with my $180 exhaust. Image
+1 :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jerms
Regular
Regular

Post by Jerms »

Not true duals just a dual outlet muffler. It still sounds better than a single?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This is just my Image but, having grown up with true duels coupled to real pre emission controlled large and small block V8s, there is no comparison to today's wimpy V6s. I'd be willing to put, my $180 3" catback set up against any dual set up you can dream up. Now if, a particular sound is what you are striving for then that is up to you. I am talking best bang for your buck, sound and performance.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

unless I missed it somewhere... f9k9 what kinda cheap set up do you have? It isnt a pre-bent ready to install kit either I bet?

I was talking to my buddy about me cutting off my precat. He can weld, I aske dif he could weld a straight pipe on there, and flance, just like Brule's set up. He said it wouldn't be a problem, I would just need to get the supplies. I said would it be easier if he did it after the body lift? He said it didn't matter. (which I dont think it would much matter either). I know advance has the pipe, im sure the flanges too. Should be a lot cheaper then a muffler shop, and less hassle that a muffler shop might give me.

But once my lifting/tires are done, exhaust or light bar will be my next job.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I picked up a Delta 40 Flowmaster on ebay. The price escapes me but, my total for it and a muffler shop doing mine was $180. I debated it because my commute to work is a little under 5 miles which doesn't give it time to properly heat up and get rid of the moisture that naturally collects in it. Mine was installed before my BL but, after I installed the Daystar shackles. When I was looking at room for the 33" spare it was mentioned that my layout might not be in the stock location.

No, it is not mandrel bent but, it has improved the rig's pep, sounds good and the cost went a long way in letting me do other mods. The set up has served me for well over four years.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

so, you bascially bought the muffler, took it to the muffler shop, and had them install it?

Im thinking that might be a good idea... the flowmaster kit for an s10 is $350-$400 :shock:

Summit has the force II kit, which sounded good in clips above, for $290... not too bad... but its not $180, lol.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I did like the Force II kit on my 01 CC, but it is also too much $ for what you get. I ended up selling the resonator to a friend because I liked the sound better without it. :roll:

The easiest and cheapest way to get better performance and sound is to replace the factory muffler with a performance muffler like Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Gibson, etc. Most exhaust shops will charge $100 or less to weld in a new muffler and a short piece of pipe.

If you want to get a little more hp and tq, you should replace the undersized 2.25" crush bent tailpipe with a mandrel bent 2.5" tailpipe.

Some people also like to replace the factory cat with a high flow aftermarket cat, but what most of them don't realize is that the factory cat is already a high flow design. Basically it is just a waste of money unless your cat was already bad, then it would be a better idea to get the aftermarket cat since they flow very well and are much cheaper than a replacement GM cat.

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Went to get my truck inspected today. but they meet their quota for the day. So ill go back tommorow. While there, I asked how much would it be if I provided the muffler (said a friend had one), what it would cost to install it, and new 2.5, or 3" pipe from the cat back, with no fancy exhaust tips. They said about $60. I was expecting to here $100. So, whenever I spot a good deal on a flowmaster delta 40, new exhaust here I come! :)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Look on ebay. Crawl under your truck and determine what you have. Center in, offset out or the other way around.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Jerms
Regular
Regular

Post by Jerms »

Bobble do you remember what it cost for the whole setup? And did you maintain the factory y pipe and cat or is this true duals.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

BobbleSmitty wrote:I'm typing this the second time... my first post didn't go thru for some reason so you get a shortened version now. V-Force Muffler, 2.5" pipes, single inlet, single out let, Y pipe attached after muffler. Cost $200 (not including black chrome stainless steel tips). Custom Setup. Took about a little over an hour to install.

Dual Exhaust Video

I love the sound of the exhaust. You can hear it inside the cab on the freeway but it's not unbearable. You can hear me coming from nearly a mile away! I set off car alarms in the parking garage at school with out trying.
My brother got me a discount at the muffler shop, so I would expect to pay a little more for the job. The black stainless steel tips were purchased online through StylinTrucks
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bonk:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Yeah your right f9k9, I looked under it today, offset in, center out. Browsed ebay, and the 3" in/out delta 40s are all "in stores" and the cheapest was $90 shipped. Which I dont guess is that bad.... but im definantly gonna watch for a better deal. Even If i get one for $70 I think that would be a good deal.

Word of advice on dual exhausts!

I had "my muffler guy" (dad was friends with him, his a good guy, does fantastic work) install my magnaflow faux dual exhaust on my old s-10 2wd. He did a great job. Cost me I think $350... I guess mainly from all the work to run the the pipes.

Anyways. Had it on my truck for about 3 or 4 years id say, no problems, got rear ended. Body shopped asked if there was any particular person I wanted to fix my exhaust , that they normally use a local chain of muffler shops around here called "Quality Exhaust". I said just have the do it. Didn't think much about it.

Got it back, one pipe set 1" lower the then other, stuck about 1" further out. It was really jacked up. Took it back twice. before it was SOMEWHAT right. Then the mounting brackets they used broke. Took it back to em, 2 or 3 times for the same bracket things breaking and having my piep beat against my bumper!

They had the nerve to say that it was prety much impossible to run dual exhaust on these s10s. I said XXXX guy did it, and it was perfect till this incident. It broke again, I rigged something upmyself, it lasted longer then it did when they did it, but it eventually broke also. Then i said to heck with it, and it beat against my numper till i traded it.

So make sure you go to a GOOD muffler guy, and not a "quality exhaust" place.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:Yeah your right f9k9, I looked under it today, offset in, center out. Browsed ebay, and the 3" in/out delta 40s are all "in stores" and the cheapest was $90 shipped. Which I dont guess is that bad...
Check out the flowmaster website and get a part number for the one you want. Then go to Google>shopping and enter the part number with or without the brand name. You should get a couple of pages of results. Check out their shipping costs and ratings. $90 seems high but, it has been four years since I did mine. HTH
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:
fallvitals wrote:Yeah your right f9k9, I looked under it today, offset in, center out. Browsed ebay, and the 3" in/out delta 40s are all "in stores" and the cheapest was $90 shipped. Which I dont guess is that bad...
Check out the flowmaster website and get a part number for the one you want. Then go to Google>shopping and enter the part number with or without the brand name. You should get a couple of pages of results. Check out their shipping costs and ratings. $90 seems high but, it has been four years since I did mine. HTH
I did that also, most were in the $90s, borderline $90s, and there was a couple for $71... but the websites didn't look very up and up. When it comes to buying online and websites that look like that, ill pay a bit more to have some peace of mind.

Just got my truck inspected. My "muffler guy" was in. I told him my line about about my buddy having a flowmaster, unused, (I just feel like im insulting him, and his prices on mufflers if i say im gona buy my own then bring it here, thats why im fibbing.) BUt i asked him what it would cost to have a flowmaster 40 delta 3" installed, cat back, with no fancy tips or anything.

He first quoted me $160 for a knockoff flowmaster (Xcellerator mufflers im assuming, I saw a box for one laying around), and about $205 for a flowmaster installed.

He said he sells very few flowmasters any more, his custoemrs have been happy with the knock off. I asked how long does the knock off last vs flowmaster, he said their was no differance.

I asked how was it compared to the Delta 40, because I want something loud but not annoying. He said theres probably a little differance, but nothing huge. Compared the audio level as stated in the flow master catalog he had vs a super 44.

Generic sounds good for $160ish to me. But then, even if I get the Delta 40 for $90 shipped from ebay. The guy yesterday said about $60, so im gonna say $80, to install. Should be about $10 or less then the generic after taxes, and its all said and done....

I think I just gave myself the answer, but interesting enough to post I thought.