Need Advice (Brush/Grille Guard)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

2003_ZR5
Regular
Regular

Need Advice (Brush/Grille Guard)

Post by 2003_ZR5 »

Check out this brush/grille guard. (copy the link)

http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.aspx?c ... rtid=25327

1.)Have any of you bought this particular guard? If so, is it worth it?

2.)Does anyone have a different brush/grille guard for an S-10 that you can recommend?

Here is another brush guard that I'd rather have. The website says it WILL fit an S10, but I don't want to risk it. Can anyone tell me for sure?

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guar ... 3A0A0.aspx
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Re: Need Advice (Brush/Grille Guard)

Post by kxracer »

2003_ZR5 wrote:Check out this brush/grille guard. (copy the link)

http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.aspx?c ... rtid=25327

1.)Have any of you bought this particular guard? If so, is it worth it?

2.)Does anyone have a different brush/grille guard for an S-10 that you can recommend?

Here is another brush guard that I'd rather have. The website says it WILL fit an S10, but I don't want to risk it. Can anyone tell me for sure?

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guar ... 3A0A0.aspx
I don't know anything about either of those, but one of my friends has the one sold by lmc truck. It is a pretty nice one, and it is the same style as the ones you are looking at. We've ran into a lot of stuff with it, lol.

EDIT: Here is a link to the guard I was talking about. Way less expensive than the ones you are looking at to. Just remember you order the push bar and the light guards seperatly. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=85
Last edited by kxracer on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That first one looks like the one f9k9 has. I dont know nothing about em, i know he said his was for a zr2, and it took some intesive modding to get it to fit. ?

Its not exactly what your looking for, but the Ori Eliminator (sold at offroadwarehouse.com ?) is probably your best bet, it runs $140 plus shipping. Theres one in the classifieds right now for $120 + shipping, never used.

Last edited by fallvitals on Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Here is my suggestion for looking for a grille guard or light bar. Call the manufacturer on the phone and skip emails. Yes, some do respond. most will not to emails. Have a spiral notebook and pen handy. Jot down the representative's name and or number if, they are provided. Anything will fit from '98- '04 so, stop worrying about an '02 cut off date.

I know that you all have cell phones so, just CALL THE PEOPLE TO FIND OUT answers.

I would start looking at Ebay and Craigslist for used parts before searching for new ones.

The last Crew Cab rolled off of the assemble line a half decade ago.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Seems like lots of them are for looks. The Westin has the same mounts that their safari bar uses. Those sure seem easily bent.

The GM bars take a beating as I have seen a couple that had been wrecked. Dealers may still have some NOS?

I know that there was one bar that had the option for a front receiver or winch mount. Was it the Warn Transformer?

WAAG , Manik, who else?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2003_ZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by 2003_ZR5 »

I appreciate the help, everyone.
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

Does anyone know if a brush guard from a 97 will fit an 03 or if it is close enough to be easily modifed to fit?
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I'm not an expert with brush guards, but the s10 had in evolution in the '97 to 98' year. I doubt that the brush guard will fit because the body style changed. I don't know if it can be modified or not.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A comparison of the frames might help? GM Upfitter manuals

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

does that web site go back to 97? I can only get it to go to 99.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I only see back to 1999. It will be up to you to decide if your model has significant changes from the models available.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

Will do. Thanks for the help.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

I know I have posted this in two places but any help would be appriciated. Could anyone post a picture of how thier brush guard mounts to their frame? Im looking at a used one and I just want to see how its supposed to mount before I buy it. Any pics would be a big help. Thanks
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What make and model are you considering? Have you checked out the manufacturers installation instructions? I know that Westin has theirs online.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

Its made by go rhino. Its supposed to be for 98 and newer. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was looking at before I go to see. I checked go rhinos web site and all I get is generic picture. I did check out westins site to see how theirs mounted. I thought it might make more sense if i could seen an exaple on a truck.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I bought mine used from a ZR2 owner. The front frame horn width is not the same between the ZR2 package and ours. I had performed a 2"BL so, my stock tow hooks wouldn't work without spacers and there is a consensus that spacers and recovery will tweak your frame. I incorporated 1st gen tow hooks to mount my Waag unit.

I took the measurements, made my own crude drawing and took it to the welding shop. They did it for under $20. As you can see, that was 6 yrs ago, though.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have the ORW bar pictured above and really like it, but it is more of a light bar than a brush/grill guard even though I can stand on it without it flexing or fear of it breaking off. A good brush/grill guard should be mounted to the frame and bumper for any real impact strength. Some of the cheap ones out there are real flimsy!

Steve
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

Thanks for the pics. I figured that was how it mounted just wanted to be sure. btw i really like your truck. The plans for mine are similar.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

ive got a winston ill post pics on how it mounts later on today if i can mines alot different than the one shown above