180 degree JET 10171 " YES"

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

180 degree JET 10171 " YES"

Post by Horsehammerr »

Got my new 180 from Summit today. Ordered on line 5 pm. 7/9/09, got it 3 pm. today 7/11/09, these people are serious about makin' you happy. Anyway I got it in , took 10 minutes, lost maybe a pint of coolant. Filled 'er up and jambed to the Interstate and ran 120 miles 70 mph in 98 degree outside temp and never got above 185 on the gage, oil pressure stayed at 50 lbs. I LIKE IT !!! :D :D 8) Oh Yeah! Forgot to mention this whole test run was with the AC was set at MAX for the whole trip, YES !!!
Last edited by Horsehammerr on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You took the first step. Don't be surprised to find that while moving slow or stopped the temperature rises. The stock fan locks at 235 degrees. It is really designed to work on a 195-210 degree system. Once the fan starts engaging you should be able to maintain the stock 210 degrees in hot weather.
As long as you are moving at highway speeds the airflow is enough to keep the temperature in the thermostats range. This is to a point. I found the stock radiator insufficient and no amount of air would cool it down. I needed more surface area to transfer the heat to the airflow. That is why I added the extra capacity radiator.

The whole system needs to work together. Different climates may change the requirements. Your conditions may not warrant further modifications.

I used e-fans to better match the lower engine running temperatures. With these I can control the temperature where they engage. No colder clutches are available for our fan. The Explorer clutch and fan may be an option, however the fan is smaller and that worried me a little.

With one mod comes another. The e-fans add additional load to the electrical system, so the lager AD244 alternator was installed.

Mods are like a snowball running downhill. One begets another and it just keeps going and going. The best you can do is just keep throwing money at it and hope it all stays together. :lol:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

It's what I live for !! :twisted: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

HenryJ wrote:Mods are like a snowball running downhill. One begets another and it just keeps going and going. The best you can do is just keep throwing money at it and hope it all stays together. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
I like that description.....especially the hope it all stays together part....
[size=75]ALWAYS pray for and expect the best, but be prepared for the worst! Life seems to operate a little smoother for me this way[/size]
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 180 degree JET 10171 " YES"

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I guess my truck is stuburn minded. I installed a 180 in mine in May of 09. No problems until about 3 weeks ago when the temps got below 40 degrees. SES light and the code was coolant constantly too cold. So I put a 195 back in it. Maybe the combination of the cooler thermoatat and the extra capacity radiator is not allowing it to get "hot". I did notice my fuel mileage dropped considerably when I put the 180 in it also.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 180 degree JET 10171 " YES"

Post by Horsehammerr »

I never had any SES with codes or any other problems with the 180. The only reason I went back to my 195 is because it gets to dang cold here in good ole S.W. Missouri , heck it's been 10 or below 0 for the last eight days and a 180 thermostat would not keep up with that. Some where around the end of May the 180 will go back in. 8)