Painting the frame

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Painting the frame

Post by fallvitals »

Im nearly done drilling the brackets for my raised step bars.

I want to paintt he exposed frame. The rubberized stock undercoating stuff is flaking off. Im thinking the best way to prep/clean the frame is with a preasure washer, then take a wire brush to any toughh spots. Sound Good?

But the real question... what to paint with? I dont want to eoay Nearly $40 or even more for 4 or more cans of undercoating spray. My dad said rustoleum spray paint wont do anything for me. But I have read its tough to get it off once its on.

Im asking does my prep method sound good.... what should I use to paint the frame and brackets with? If undercoating is the better option ill do that... but I dont see whats wrong with rustoluem?

I have read about POR15, but that stuff is crazy expensive, and I dont see any link on their site to find local dealers...
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

POR-15 is usually found a automotive paint retailers

that GM undercoating stuff is a bear to get off I think your headed in the right direction but what do I know
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

por 15 is a good product but it has to be top coated.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

raven2510 wrote:por 15 is a good product but it has to be top coated.
Only if it is going to be in direct sunlight. If you have a body lift, it would be a good idea to topcoat it, but otherwise you should be fine. As far as rustoleum, it is tough by spray can standards, but keep in mind your frame will have rocks thrown at it by your tires. I did use rustoleum wheel paint on my wheels, and it is holding up well, almost 3,000 miles and the only marks are on the very edge from sliding around on gravel roads, lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Alrighty, well. Took a trip to the auto store. And they had Undercoating for only $4.29 a can :shock:

On their website the only can that pops up is $7.XX a can.

Thats a hella lot cheaper then I expected, 4 cans out the door for $18.19 :shock: :o :wink:

So, thats what im gonna do. So my main question is, my preping idea sounds good? Blast it with a rpeassure washer, then if needed, wire brush it, preasure wash again, maybe wipe it down with soap and water, then maybe a rag with alchohal, that spray it?

They had the cans of udnercoating with sound suppresion, or something. Thought about it, but that probably wouldnt make a differance unuess you did the WHOLE frame. And with this body lift im only doing the exposed frame. There too many lines and junk behind it to paint.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For at least 2001 models the stock frame coating was a wax like treatment. Steam cleaning will get most of it. Some will just smear. The idea behind this was that it is self healing.
Personally I would just pressure wash it to get the loose stuff off and then spray it with the undercoating once it has dried thoroughly. Then plan on touching it up periodically.

If you want expert advice wait for Jim to give his two cents. He is the detail king around here. A PM might get a speedy response. Point out this thread so we can all learn from his expertise.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

hm, ill wait, i dont think ill do this till early next week, real busy this week.

Would you suggest the same method for the step bar brackets? It has the undercoating on them some, plus after my handeling, drilling, and clamping, the paint has flaked off.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rustoleum.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

not sure when they stopped the "wax-like" stuff but its a bear. I would think my 96 frame was clean untill I fired the welder and that stuff would start smoken and running out of anywhere and everwhere..what a pain
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well, sounds like the wax coating junk isnt gonna come off. I think ill do what Brule said, preasure wash it, if theres any stubbord spots ill hit it with a wire brush.. heck I think I have a wire brush for my drill...

but i think I have the waxy junk on mine also. Most of the undercoating is starting to flake off, but some spots is very wax like.

With those brackets, should I go through the trouble of stripping them, priming and painting? Or just clean em up, and spray em? Theres very few exposed metal portions of it, but I figure it wont need primed... im not concerned with em looking perfect. Considering where they are and how little they are seen.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe scuff with some Scotchbrite, wipe them down and shoot them with rustoleum. I use a paint called Armour that is very similar.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PGH04ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by PGH04ZR5 »

I have been thinking of doing something like this since I got my CC. I plan this summer to wire brush the entire frame the best I can and then use the dupilcolor bed liner products either spray or brush on.

Anyone tried the self bedliner products to handle this? what are the results like?
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

PGH04ZR5 wrote:I have been thinking of doing something like this since I got my CC. I plan this summer to wire brush the entire frame the best I can and then use the dupilcolor bed liner products either spray or brush on.

Anyone tried the self bedliner products to handle this? what are the results like?
Do NOT use duplicolor bed liner. You will be able to scratch it off with your fingernails. Herculiner is a good product that will hold up way better and go on much thicker, as long as you prep the surface. I have used herculiner on the interior floor of my Power Wagon. The only real warning I can give you is peel the tape off within 1/2 hour of your final coat or else the tape will probably tear rather than peel.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

I used rustoleum with the hammered finish on my ZR2 and on a 94 ss I recently picked up.

It gives it a slick easy to wash finish and looks good too.

[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]