Best place for speedometer recalibration? New gear ratio?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Best place for speedometer recalibration? New gear ratio?

Post by fallvitals »

Since im getting new 33x9.5s on soon, i called the dealer to ask how much it would cost to get the speedometer recalibrated. Thinking it wouldnt be much since, from my understanding, all they do is plug in a programer and change it in the computer, the guy said some vehicles they can, and some they cant, but its $79.95 :shock: "Ok Thanks!" Click.

Heck for that much, I might as well toss in a few more and get my own programmer... Any ideas on where I could get this done?

From the calcutors it looks like my new MPH at 70 on the speedo, will really be 79mph. And my new gear ratio will be 3.29. Im very ignorant to gear ratios,,, so, is my new ratio good, bad, etc?
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'd just pony up the dough for your own Hypertech programmer. That way you can change all the settings as you wish (top speed, tire size, octane rating, etc), read & clear DTC's, and etc. That's what I did. I got a used one from one of the members here. :2:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Run them with a GPS as a test. Mine is not far enough off to make a difference. HJ's was.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I will. I have ran min as it is now with the 235s, with my garm 60c a few times and it is consistantly 1.5mph slower then my speedo is saying.

Any input on the new gear ratio? I'm guessing its not a big deal since I don't recall reading anything from Brule or Reed on it.

With that Hypertech programmer,,, can you choose a 33" tire with it?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What is your gearing? Find the RPO thread and check out your glove box. 3.4X is gonna be pretty lame on 33s.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:With that Hypertech programmer,,, can you choose a 33" tire with it?
Yes. Mine is set to 32.75" if I recall correctly.

If your dealer programs it you will only be able to choose tire sizes that are available as optional. With the gear sets and tire sizes you can usually find a combination to get close.

Having a custom tune done for the PCM is another option.
I like the ability to do it myself, that is why I use the HPPIII.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:What is your gearing? Find the RPO thread and check out your glove box. 3.4X is gonna be pretty lame on 33s.
g80 3.73 is what i got.

well dealer is out of the question then... too bad there are no crew cabbers near me with a programmer, lol

the programmmer is.. a lot...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The programmer is VIN locked to the vehicle programmed. Unless the vehicle is returned to stock programming , the programmer can not be used on another vehicle.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:The programmer is VIN locked to the vehicle programmed. Unless the vehicle is returned to stock programming , the programmer can not be used on another vehicle.
Ouch. So.. eventually pay,, a lot of a programmer, or live with it,, lol.. and im not gonna live with it.. darn...

How bad was yours off when you put your 33s on Brule? The calculator on this site says I will be 9mph faster then the speedo says @ 70mph
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds about right. I never ran mine on 33's without programming.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well, im gonna call around to some local 4x4 shops tommorow see if they can do it... after what i read here about needing a specific programmer im doubting it? But seems like the best option locally since all they do is lift truck and put bigger tires on.

Question on the hypertech, seems they have a model for each year? So if I found say a 2001 s-10 hypertech program, it wont work with my 03, though noting changed on the truck?

edit to add, I did a google shopping search, and found a hypertech just for calibrating the speedo, $230 shipped. But the fancier ones are more expesnive, which one would you all recommend I get if the offroad shop cant help me?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

1. They are year specific.
2. Shop for a used one but, make sure it has been returned to stock settings.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well, the 4x4 shops can't do it. After reading here, I didn't think so. But worth the call.

Do you have to keep those programmers plugged in, or can you remove em? Dumb question I know, lol. I never really wanted to buy one. :roll:

Again, im looking at the cheapest hypertech model that calibrates the speedometer.

The Max energy is $130 more.... at $360 shipped. The only differance that I would really use is possible the shift firmness. I assume both can read codes...

Is this a case where the extra cash is well spent?
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

You want the HPIII #30019 for your 2003. Here's two on Ebay for around $200 shipped:http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=hyperte ... g=&_sop=12
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

THANK YOU!!!!

Thats a HELLA lot better then the $330 I just found for a Hypertech Max Energy. I googled the HPIII on google shopping and the only that that came up was the hypertech speedo calibrator, ECON, and Max Energy :?:

Heck, ill pick up one of those! Probably tommorow for the buy-it-now deal.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Make sure that they are returned to OEM and pay with paypal if, a problem arises.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

f9k9 wrote:Make sure that they are returned to OEM and pay with paypal if, a problem arises.
I think the only payment ebay allows now is paypal? Either way, I always use paypal on ebay.

I asked one of the sellers if the HPIII was guarenteed to be not VIN locked, the reply:

"Hi, thanks for your question. Yes, the programmer should be open (not locked by VIN) because my husband followed the instructions in the manual about how to use it, used it once to program his truck and then once to set it back to factory settings; by programming and then de-programming the programmer is cleared and allows the programmer to be used on other vehicles. You can learn more about this by Googling the subject or visiting Hypertech's Web site. Hope this helps and happy eBaying!"

Sounds good to go, right?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yep
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I keep reading this programmer can help you on gas milage, im not holding my breath, but any truth to that?

Just did the buy it now on the cheaper one, thats unlocked (message from that seller copy/pasted above) $185 shipped. Dont think thats a bad deal...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I guess it is mileage related if it corrects it right? ;)

Don't expect and gains other than correction.
The shift firmness is nice. A few WOT runs and you can get the shift points. There is a thread around here on what settings everyone is using.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I saw on thread where a guy was asking about racing setups with it... not sure if I saw the one your in referance too, ill have to search some more.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

good thread, only read half of it, ill read the rest later, time for work...

You still running 87 Brule?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes, and it is the 10% ethanol we are force fed. Lousy gas mileage and performance.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I feel your pain on the ethonal... I started sticking to only Go-Mart for gas, since it was the only ethonal free station around here. Till last week, they slapped a 10% sticker on the pumps :x Now, I very rarely use exxon, becuasethere arent many on the routes I travel, but last tiem I was there a few months ago, it was ethonal free.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ethanol burns cleaner and makes more hp than regular gas, but as mentioned your gas mileage will drop.

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I must be missing something, with ethonal in your gas, its less powerful then straight gas, giving bad MPG. How is it gonna give you more HP?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A larger volume of fuel is required to make the same power. It can potentially be use to create higher horsepower since it is colder and has a higher resistance to burning, but our engines are not prepared to take advantage of that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

WHAT ??
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Now I look on ebay, and a reputable seller has a hyper tech. in original box, never used, for 75.00 opening bid, $150 buy-it-now plus $5.00 shipping.

Hella deal, now I dont feel so good about mine I won on ebay. buy-it-now, a few days ago for $185 :cry:

Thats just how the cookie crumbles :lol:
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

:x Well got my programmer and it works great with all its included features... The manual listed in the auction said it could readDiagnostic Trouble Codes (dtc). Well the paper manual doesnt have it in there, and the programmer doesnt have an option to read them while using it. I find it hard to believe in 2003, the earliest this model could have been out, they didnt have that technology? :twisted: :x

Is there nay kind of update out there? or am I just boned when it comes to reading codes?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Only the last couple years read codes. Then they went to a totally different system. They are not update-able by the user. Contact Hypertech, but I think you have as good as you will get.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ wrote:Only the last couple years read codes. Then they went to a totally different system. They are not update-able by the user. Contact Hypertech, but I think you have as good as you will get.
Well that isnt cool... Im assuming your in the same boat as I?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

my '02 doesn't ad codes either.
jedthrocornpone
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jedthrocornpone »

thats where the scangauge II comes into play, semi-real time info and code reading/removal

PS mine was almost 6 MPH off @ 55. so the programer was a need more than a want. The firmer shifts I'd have paid double for!