True Cold air Intake

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

True Cold air Intake

Post by Horsehammerr »

Considering some mods to route a cold air ram type intake through the hood.The question is, will the PCM adjust to a true cold air intake ?? :?: :roll: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I would think so, they adjust for all ranges of ambient temps outside so it should be able to learn. You might want to unhook the battery cables and let it reset and relearn/remap the programming after you install it but that should be easy enough.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

It will adjust/learn, no need to disconnect the battery. It may take a couple days though. :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our stock system is a cold air intake. Moving it to the hood could create a ram air effect. The temperature differences may be very little.
There were some Ram air systems available, but I don't believe one was available for our application.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I was under the impression that colder air made better power. If I'm pulling air from above my hood its got to be colder than from under the hood. Much colder !! :!: 8)
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

its not from under the hood though when stock. a snorkle faces behind the headlight....and draws in air from the outside
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are not pulling air from under your hood with the stock system. It comes from in front of the core support.
With a few modifications the flow can be enhanced: Factory air box and modified headlight support

Volant builds some systems that seal nicely to the core support.
K&N, AEM and others use a heat shield that is not perfectly sealed from engine heat.
I have found the ambient air temperature to mimic the intake air temperature pretty closely even so.

Best Cold Air Intake ?

Suncoast Creations Ram Air hood and cold air intake

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Thanks Brule. I'm looking into the Suncoast hood. 8)
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

HenryJ wrote:You are not pulling air from under your hood with the stock system. It comes from in front of the core support.
With a few modifications the flow can be enhanced: Factory air box and modified headlight support

Volant builds some systems that seal nicely to the core support.
K&N, AEM and others use a heat shield that is not perfectly sealed from engine heat.
I have found the ambient air temperature to mimic the intake air temperature pretty closely even so.

Best Cold Air Intake ?

Suncoast Creations Ram Air hood and cold air intake
That just saved me a couple hundred bucks. :)