B & M Electronic Shift Improver Problems *SOLVED

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

BlackDime
Regular
Regular

B & M Electronic Shift Improver Problems *SOLVED

Post by BlackDime »

I just installed my new B & M shift improver and am having problems with it. The install went fine with no problems but the initial test drive with it hooked up I did not notice any difference and my truck also stalled four times. I should mention that I have a check engine light on that is throwing code # P1055 which is bank #2 sensor #1. So after I unplugged the PCM I think it reset this code because my check engine light went off and after the repeated stalling it came back on. After all of that it was mostly working but if I wanted to switch between settings I made sure the engine was off and it didnt seem like it would take. Then it would finally work the way I want it to until the other weekend when I took the truck out to the Woodward dream cruise. I was driving the truck down the road on the #2 setting and it was shifting hard like it was supposed but then at about 50 mph the tach just started bouncing and the truck kept going out of overdrive into 3rd then back to overdrive really fast making the truck surge almost. I stopped and shut the engine off and turned the shift selector to off and continued to drive home. I did the surging thing one more time until the PCM must have gotten the off signal and then the downshift to upshift to downshit problem stopped. Since then I have just left the switch in the off position and I drive the truck every day and havent had any problems. Anybody got a clue at what is going on? Any help is greatly appreciated. Probably just should have went with the Transgo...lol

--Scott
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What make model and year is the truck? How many miles? Any other modifications?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BlackDime
Regular
Regular

Post by BlackDime »

Its an 03 S10 ZR5 with just over 59k on it. No other mods...yet.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Read this thread: ZR2USA - Shift improver
I mentions some of what you are saying. A little searching over there may help. It seems like I have read about something like this before, but I don't recall the solution.

Jigg has had one for a long time and may be able to help.

I would say triple check your connections. Throw away the scotchlocs and solder the connections. It almost sounds like you have a bad connection.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BlackDime
Regular
Regular

Post by BlackDime »

I was thinking that it was a connection problem also. I hate scotchlock, I dont even know why I bothered using them. There should be no problem hard wiring that thing right? Also, would it be a problem if I decided to go with the Transgo kit at a later date?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No problem with either of those suggestions.

Another ZR2USA thread

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BlackDime
Regular
Regular

Post by BlackDime »

Ok guys I finally got around to putting the B&M in the right way (soldering) and that did the trick. I was unable to get my heat shrink to work the way I wanted so I had to settle for electrical tape, but it works perfectly now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Liquid electrical tape is another good option. As is self sealing silicone tape.

Glad you found your problem.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

Hey Blackdime:

You have any pics of the connector packs, some are different than others and I've tried mine several different ways and can't get it working proper. I figure if yours is the same as mine (i have a 05 blazer) then i can get assured on the right wires that you used. Got to be something Im overlooking.
Thanks

Chris
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Dabber wrote:Hey Blackdime:

You have any pics of the connector packs, some are different than others and I've tried mine several different ways and can't get it working proper. I figure if yours is the same as mine (i have a 05 blazer) then i can get assured on the right wires that you used. Got to be something Im overlooking.
Thanks

Chris
PM him here. He may have the notification option to send him an email when PMed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

Thanks f9k9. Did that and just waiting to see if I get a responce
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

Thanks to Blackdime, he went out of his way to get me pics and everything and now it works. I love the difference it has made on level 1, I clicked it to level 2 and noticed even more, I don't see it being a BIG problem to run it on that setting(doesn't seem overly harsh), but I switched back to 1 anyway.

Chris
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dabber wrote:Thanks to Blackdime, he went out of his way to get me pics and everything and now it works.
Are those pictures something we need on the mod page?
If so drop me a few lines of instruction that would have helped and the pictures.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dabber
Regular
Regular

Post by Dabber »

I can email what was sent to me if you want though HenryJ, Not sure if they will really help in the mod section though, just reasurred me that the PCM was the same as mine. guess there is more than one style (probably different years) so I knew i had the exact same wires and everything the same, would recommend everybody hard wire them in. Don't even bother with the scotchlocks cause they are more problems than their worth. P.S i like this thing more everyday. I've had my truck since brand new(and now it feels better than new)