making the skidz last

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

kxracer
Crew
Crew

making the skidz last

Post by kxracer »

I don't know if anyone has already tried this, but I think it should work. Has anyone had there skidz flares linex'd? I think that it should keep it from cracking, especially if you coated the inside and the outside. I think they can even do it without mixing in the rough rubber(?) chunks. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Oh, exactly how many people have had theres crack? I know kermit's and HenryJ's cracked, but has anyone else had them crack? Thanks
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: making the skidz last

Post by 14x4 »

kxracer wrote:I don't know if anyone has already tried this, but I think it should work. Has anyone had there skidz flares linex'd? I think that it should keep it from cracking, especially if you coated the inside and the outside. I think they can even do it without mixing in the rough rubber(?) chunks. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Oh, exactly how many people have had theres crack? I know kermit's and HenryJ's cracked, but has anyone else had them crack? Thanks
I imagine anything would help - at least a little. I thought it might help if the inside of the flare was filled with hardening foam or something.

I wish I had Skidz flares to try it on. :bonk:
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Re: making the skidz last

Post by kxracer »

14x4 wrote:
kxracer wrote:I don't know if anyone has already tried this, but I think it should work. Has anyone had there skidz flares linex'd? I think that it should keep it from cracking, especially if you coated the inside and the outside. I think they can even do it without mixing in the rough rubber(?) chunks. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

I imagine anything would help - at least a little. I thought it might help if the inside of the flare was filled with hardening foam or something.

I wish I had Skidz flares to try it on. :bonk:
lol, my thought is, even if they did crack under the linex, it is some pretty tough stuff. I would imagine it could hold the shape. My biggest concern is I think they spray linex on hot (could be wrong), and I'm wondering if it would damage the plastic these flares are made of. I know some guys on s10forum have coated the zr2 flares, but I think they are a different type of plastic. :?:
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

kxracer wrote:My biggest concern is I think they spray linex on hot (could be wrong), and I'm wondering if it would damage the plastic these flares are made of.
http://www.linex.com/about_linex_0.shtml

"LINE-X consists of several different products.
All systems utilize a two-component, spray-in-place, 100% solids (no air pollution), thermoplastic polyurethane and polyurea.

There are two separate materials that are precisely dispensed through a high pressure, plural component internal mixing polyurethane spray machine. They are each heated to 120-140 degrees with the temperature maintained through a heated hose. Using high pressure, the materials are mixed internally at a 1:1 ratio at the tip of the spray gun. As the material is applied it takes less than 5 seconds for it to harden. As soon as LINE-X lands on the surface it's dry!

LINE-X products are a fast-cure, multipurpose series of coatings designed for a wide range of retail, commercial, and industrial uses. They exhibit excellent adhesion to most properly prepared surfaces. With its fast cure time it can be sprayed vertically and even overhead without running or dripping. There are no solvents associated with LINE-X products, which means there are no air pollutants or harmful environmental contaminates.

LINE-X Protective Coatings are resistant to most solvents and acids, making them ideal for industrial and commercial applications where corrosion is prevalent. Using LINE-X greatly extends equipment and vehicle life expectancy. It has a high "shore D" hardness rating, offering excellent impact resistance and superior tensile strengths (up to 6,600 psi) resulting in outstanding abrasion resistance. Because the material is sprayed there is a complete seal, making the coating "water tight".

Headquartered in Santa Ana, California, with more than 550 locations in 26 countries, it is the goal of LINE-X to consistently produce the highest quality and most reliable materials available. LINE-X is also focused on developing new protective coatings for a wide range of retail, industrial and other applications needing extreme protection."

I don't think 120-140 degrees F is hot enough to deform the plastic.
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

Cool, thanks. With that fast of a dry time, I would think it would be alright, but then again, I could see it warp. I guess they willl see temps. of over 100 degrees during the summer anyway, but I know some of the people here were talking about them warping from temperature change. I'm not sure what would happen if it was all 75 degrees, and then had the temps on one end jump to 140 degrees in less than a second.
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

Maybe that U-pol raptor liner stuff. I just don't want it to wear out like herculiner does on some vehicles that I've seen. I'm also not sure it is thick enough to keep them from cracking anyway. Has anyone besides JHenry and Kermit had there flares crack, or will I probably be alright just leaving them alone?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kxracer wrote:..........Has anyone besides JHenry and Kermit had there flares crack, or will I probably be alright just leaving them alone?
I busted a rear SkidZ flare but, that was in my own driveway when I jockeyed the CC into my heep. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

f9k9 wrote:
kxracer wrote:..........Has anyone besides JHenry and Kermit had there flares crack, or will I probably be alright just leaving them alone?
I busted a rear SkidZ flare but, that was in my own driveway when I jockeyed the CC into my heep. :wink:
:lol: I bet you were pissed. Yours have been on there for quite a while to. Did you mount them the same was as JHenry, or did you mount them differently?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I mounted mine the same way as HJ. I replaced it and sold the other 3 to a member.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Damaged Skidz flare
HenryJ wrote:... I would suggest removal, add double stick foam tape between the flare and body metal to allow for expansion and contraction, drill the holes oversized , add rubber , nylon or foam washers ...I will have more information when I have the defective flares off and can inspect them closer, as well as make a change or two in the installation to better compensate for the expansion and contraction...
Three years and I still have not made time to change them. I'll probably replace them when my rockers get bad enough to liner. The flares, to my surprise, have not deteriorated significantly in the last year or two. I am pretty sure the above solution would be a good one.
HenryJ wrote:I'll be doing the spray on "liner" when mine get bad enough for a repaint.
This is a photo I "chopped" , quite some time ago-
I don't think that I will liner the flares though. They would just be too hard to keep clean. I like to be able to wax them and have them wash clean easily.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

That looks nice, you thinking on having it linex'd, or are you going raptor/herc? I wonder what it would cost to have the flares linex'd if they aren't installed on the vehicle? Anyone know what it would cost to have the truck sprayed like JHenry's pic? I've heard good things about the diy raptor stuff, anyone ever use it? I've used Herculiner before, and while it turned out decent, I would never put it on something I was trying to keep looking nice for a long period of time.

Wow, I ramble bad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Probably Linex, or Rhinoliner not likely a do-it-yourself coating. Herculiner that I have seen did not impress me.
Raptor looks good, but may be similar to the Herculiner?

The estimate I got on my truck was just under $500
Rumor has it that even with the primer, sticking to plastic is "iffy" at best. I think you might compromise the flares by sanding them enough to get some adhesion.
Too many negatives for me to try coating the flares.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

HenryJ wrote:Probably Linex, or Rhinoliner not likely a do-it-yourself coating. Herculiner that I have seen did not impress me.
Raptor looks good, but may be similar to the Herculiner?

The estimate I got on my truck was just under $500
Rumor has it that even with the primer, sticking to plastic is "iffy" at best. I think you might compromise the flares by sanding them enough to get some adhesion.
Too many negatives for me to try coating the flares.
Darn, although that price doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. I bought those flares gocntry sold. One of the rears has a cut running up in the plastic about 1". I can only imagine how fast it would crack. I will probably plastic weld it, but was really hoping I would be able to do something else that added a little 'protection'. I was kinda looking on google, and it seems that most people aren't having problems with it holding, but like you said, they do sand them, and I would also be worried about it getting to thin. Isn't line-x like 1/2" thick though?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I can be laid on pretty thick. .250" would be as good as it gets though.

I am not sure what the best repair or answer might be. Don't put it under stress if you think it is a weak spot.

Mine have stabilized. A repair might be an option on them. Let me know what you find as the best answer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kxracer
Crew
Crew

Post by kxracer »

HenryJ wrote:I can be laid on pretty thick. .250" would be as good as it gets though.

I am not sure what the best repair or answer might be. Don't put it under stress if you think it is a weak spot.

Mine have stabilized. A repair might be an option on them. Let me know what you find as the best answer.
Will do, thanks for all the help :D