Pre-cat Delete???

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Pre-cat Delete???

Post by Rockrz »

Is there any benefit to removing the pre-cat?

I found a shop that is willing to remove it for me if I pay in cash and swear I will never tell :thumb:

Just curious is this would help her breath a little better or not.
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Pre-cat Delete???

Post by F9K9 »

It will help with mpg and felt performance. I wouldn't do it if, all is working well and smog warranties are not an issue.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plugged Precat
No ill effects from removing mine. Probably no real gains either. Well, that is unless yours was plugging like mine was.
You might consider adding the flanges like I did. it makes future repairs and checking the cat easy.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I figured it is one less thing to clog up, although the truck is running great as it just passed 107k

Any advantage to installing one of those "performance" cats that are supposed to flow more freely?

At 107k, I'm wondering how long it's going to take before the OE cat starts clogging, so I
might consider replacing it before it does that and beat it to the punch

I've heard some of the high HP guys say performance cats are the way to go versus OE
[size=75]I'm drivin a...2003 Chevy S10 Ex Cab LS 2WD, Auto, 4.3L, Vin Code X[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:Any advantage to installing one of those "performance" cats that are supposed to flow more freely...
Ours is already a high flow 3" in/out cat. There is no gain in aftermarket and lots to lose as several have had aftermarket cats fail. Miles is on his third.
Treated right , the stock cat will last forever. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:
Rockrz wrote:Any advantage to installing one of those "performance" cats that are supposed to flow more freely...
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke."
Sure glad I "lost" mine (precat) but then it was apparently starting to plug. Felt like I pulled the engine and dropped in a V-8! :shock: What a kick in the pants. Didn't notice any difference in mileage but the truck sure ran lots better.

Hey Brule you need to watch the "Red Green Show". Then you'd know it's more like "If it aint broke you're not trying". :lol: 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.