Replacing tow hooks with Reciever Tubes

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Replacing tow hooks with Reciever Tubes

Post by fallvitals »

I searched but failed to find any results... which im thinking I didn't search well enough as this has had to be covered...

Im kicking around the idea of adding a winch. If I do that Im thinking I might as well upgrade the tow hooks to reciever tube and shackle/clevis combo. I see Synergy offroad has their package deal onsale for $180, normally $200.... but I just don't see how that is worth that much money? I bought a single recovery hitch/clevis by Smittybilt for $40 shipped on ebay...

Im guessing becuase theirs are pre-drilled and tapped thats the price differance? Or is their a better option (Price wise) im missing?

Also, theirs comes with 8 bolts... to be mounted in place of the skid plate and tow hooks.... I dont get that one seems like you would only need two for the existing two holes for the tow hooks? :eyes:

Anyways I made this thread too long again... The real question I guess, are they really worth it? Are the tow hooks really that weak? (especially if I have a winch mount bracing both frame rails?)
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Replacing tow hooks with Reciever Tubes

Post by gocntry »

I Don't Think The Bolt Holes In The Zr2 Tubes Will Line Up With Your Frame Holes. :shrug: For Receiver Tubes Check Your Local Rv Place Mine Has A Bunch Of Different Lengths Made Up Already. You Just Drill & Tap Your Own Holes
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ohh snap... I failed to even think about the ZR2 bolt pattern.....

Guess Ill just have to drill and tap. Luckily I aquired a old, but in great shape drill press a few months ago.

I am confused why Synergys kit has 8 bolts though? Wouldnt you only need 2 for each one? :?: Or am i missing something obvious?

EDIT - I see now... the tow hook bolts, plug the SKid plate bolts will thread into the reciver tube.... but the skid plate bolts are so far outside it seems the drill fit would be drilling the 'wall' of the reciever tube.... if thats the case seems like the bit would start to deflect after breaking through the tube, and still have to drill to the side... seems like you would need a mill bit then to finish a "half circle" cut.... if any one understand whats im saying,,,, lol.....

im not sure about this one... plus I dont think I could get all for holes to line up 100%, im just not THAT good, lol...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The tubes look "cool" and all with a couple clevis hitches hanging down. I see them as More weight for less need.
I will stick with a winch and the first gen hooks. They have done all I need to do.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Coming from you, thats good enough for me. I know you have used yours. I read about them break and this and that, had me a little worried.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have seen the front hooks that were broken. But I have never seen one broken personally.

The first gen hooks seem to hold up a little better. The broken hooks that I have seen have been in the wrecking yard. I can only guess as to why they broke.
If I were very worried I would look for a stronger hook. Then again, I already have a receiver on the front, so I may be biased. I use it for my hard pulls. It is centered and pulls from both rails.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

You may be then ;) ohh well if I have any issues I'll upgrade then.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep in mind that you will need to weld a plate to the receiver tube as the tubing alone will not be enough thread. The bolts will have to be very close on length so that they do not extend into the tube and interfere with the hitch. It is not going to be as easy as a trip to the farm store and a few minutes with a drill.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I'm not sure about that... I think you can have the bolts go through the tube and not interfer with the hitch. Those recovery hitches are very short. With a 12" tubeyou should have plenty of room to put bolts through it and clear the hitch.

Now about it not being about thread... I thought the same... But iirc the zr2 kits are just drilled and tapped tubes? Only differance is the bolt pattern? Eaither way, till user I need to change I'm gonna stick with thr tow hooks.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

There are a couple of pick-n-pull yards near me that still have a few 1st gen tow hooks. If anybody wants some hooks, I can grab a few the next time I'm out there.
I pulled a 4wd suburban out of large snow covered ditch using only 1 tow hook on my cc, so I know they are pretty strong. The driver of the suburban was a little embarrassed that my little cc was able to pull him out! 8)

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Are the 1st generation hooks direct bolt ons for us?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes. Well at least they work well with a body lift.

Image Image Image

You do need to bevel the inside to clear the aluminum shields.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I just picked up a set of 1st gen hooks on eBay for $27 shipped. I got my winch mount so I'm gonna start test fitting stuff tommarow.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I just got the 1st gen tow hooks today. Much beefier then I expected, and shorter.

I think I'm gonna mount em and my stock hooks up front... Might look too dumb, and I'll take em off, but I think I really want another set for my rear hitch. Iv want a g
set of hooks on it like Brule's set up. And these will fit nicely after I drill 1 new hole for each hook.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Just snagged another set for $33 shipped on eBay.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The local pick-n-pull only charges me $10 for a set of tow hooks. Sometimes they let me keep small parts like that for free. I might have to stop by there this weekend since they are having their annual half off everything event. If anybody needs anything, I can look while I'm out there!

Steve
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I need to see when the local places are open on saturdays, if they are.... thats the only time I have to go. Sounds like a good deal for you!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those fit nicely on there. I like them better than mine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

They don't look bad, they are hidden. My only concern is if I ever need to us em, and im getting pulled out by someone up hill of me, depending on the angle,, the strap rubbing against the bumper and possibly enough force to dent/bend/move/damage it. I also habe a recovery hitch with clevis too for the hitch,,, so I probably have more options then I really need going on back there, lol.

I also replaced my Reese hitch lock today with a new reese lock. My old one "ate" my keys, i returned the first one, and it was rusted bad,,, this new one is advertised guarenteed not to rust...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I haven't had rust issues, but I do like my Bully locking pins. The one piece design works better for me.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

If I'm lookingat the right one your lock is pretty nice. My new one looks the same except instead of having the bend like a normal pin. Mine is straight and oversized. Dad has one too, major rust. I mainly got a new one because I always had issues removing my old one. Would hate to be somewhere and couldn't get it off when needed.