what temperatures are you guys seeing with and without AC...

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

dougg01
Crew
Crew

what temperatures are you guys seeing with and without AC...

Post by dougg01 »

I have a new clutch fan, flushed cooling system and fill with 60/40 water/coolant.

The fins were very dirty and now they are looking pretty good.

I have a 180 stat in there now.

Normal temps low-80s or less + minor traffic = 180 or so.

Normal temps + major traffic = 190-200

Normal temps + AC + major traffic = 195-210

My 1999 Blazer with the same setup (except a brand new rad) didn't act like this.

Do I just assume the rad is junk and start over with a new one....?

I want to put electric fans on it eventually, but I don't think that will fix these conditions to my satisfaction.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: what temperatures are you guys seeing with and without A

Post by Jongo88 »

Sounds about right with the stock size radiator.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

With all my cooling mods I am usually well below 210* which is the norm for our rigs. However, this past weekend I pulled a larger Uhaul trailer with just a sofa, recliner and coffee table in it. I kicked on the A/C and the temps started climbing over 210* so, kicked it off. I was only doing 65 mph and don't understand what my issue was.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Dude! That truck in front of that u-haul don't look yellow to me! You got a pair of em?
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No and I wish that I had thought to snap a pic. I just used that photo for an example of the trailer I towed. I may still run by the place to do a poser shot. No sagging in the rear at all.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

A/C on runs about 190-200 A/C off, about the same (yea I know, why would I need A/C in Vermont) Still running Dex in the motor, dealership would not warranty the motor if I changed.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Mine runs about the same as above.

Now,, if it gets in the 90s (ac on), I park at a store, go in, come out, starting up it says like 230o :shock: And once I start moving it generally falls pretty fast.

Over the weekend, this happened after leaving a parking lot and driving through town going home, and it didnt really go down, i turned the ac off but it was close to the house, so it didnt make a differance. I was running about 225 id say. maybe close to 230 in that instance.

I also recalled after this i noticed my reserve/overflow whatever coolant tank was pretty low. And I forgot to top it off while I was messing with my truck last weekend. That might have contributed to it too. But when its lot and im not moving this thing will get to about 215, when it does i kick the ac off. I would like to do the efan mod, but I have the transmission cooler infront of my radiator.. but i honestly havent looked too far into it.

Few weeks ago with the ac on, going about 5 mph on this gas well road, a little rough in spots, you could smell the truck getting hot, probably cause we was going so slow, it started to get above 215 and i kicked the ac off, then it fell to 195-210. it was a warmer day too, mid 80s? but we went abouy 10mph up steep hills then down at a crawling speed.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I live in Florida and never see more than 200. I never turn the ac off! I pull a 3,500 pound boat at 80 mph too.
But I have the heavyduty radiator and e fan.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Mine was running 210-215 the other day with air on in mud. Turned air off dropped to 195-205. Outside air temp was in high 80'-low 90's. Noticed fan kicking in and sounding like an F-16 taking off. Remembered it's been a couple years since radiator fin wash out. Accumulates a lot of mud sand and small gravel on the roads I run. Blew and washed and blew and washed etc etc etc after taking top shroud off and grill and hood latch support off. Runs cooler now and much less noise but have not had it out in similar conditions to see how much difference it made. Am confident it will run cooler though considering how much mud etc I got out of the rad and condenser. Still stock radiator. Tranny cooler in front of condenser too. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
dougg01
Crew
Crew

Post by dougg01 »

Well, now I don't feel so bad about my temps. I am very paranoid about temps. My firebird runs a mezeire HD electric and 160 to keep temps in the 170-185 range. Its no longer my DD, but when it does get driven it gets driven hard.

Perhaps if I switch to e-fans I might also consider an electric wp for the Jimmy. I'd have to figure out the pulleys and such, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.... Hmmm. I ran an e-pump on my f'bird for three years as a DD with no issues (other than a blown fuse).