Another Cooling Mod thread. Bigger Radiator? E-Fans? IAT?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Another Cooling Mod thread. Bigger Radiator? E-Fans? IAT

Post by Jongo88 »

2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

You totally owned page 2, lol.

I got the email, thanks. Now to get home and check it out in the 22" flat screen. Hard to see the full picture on my iPhone, lol.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Do you get an idea what I did?
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:lol, want a picture of my new thermostat Reed? I haven't gotten to the fun stuff yet.
I like pictures and need to see some. You forget that Alzheimer's is circling right behind the freakin' ducks. :lol: Pictures helps to keep my interest......lol
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

What did you tap into for connection #9, thin red wire, "Ignition Positive Signal"? looks like in the fuse box?

Also looks like you ran the ground to a ground rather then the battery, all the same.

Did you do the same as Brule for the AC wire? "For the AC I tapped the light blue AC request wire , from the high pressure switch on the back of the compressor. This will eliminate the fans cycling with the clutch. Instead they will be on whenever the AC is requested."

You only used one tab for the bottom of the fan? Im sure thats becuase the center has a flat spot perfect for one, and the ret of it doesnt..? Wish I could put 3 tabs on it to be just that much more stable (peace of mind), but doesn't look like you can...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Also is there any better place then another to put the iat in the top of the air box? I imagine closer to the intake where more are is funneled the cooler?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

fallvitals wrote:What did you tap into for connection #9, thin red wire, "Ignition Positive Signal"? looks like in the fuse box?
I got it from the fuse box. I can get you the fuse I used when I get home.
Also looks like you ran the ground to a ground rather then the battery, all the same.

Did you do the same as Brule for the AC wire? "For the AC I tapped the light blue AC request wire , from the high pressure switch on the back of the compressor. This will eliminate the fans cycling with the clutch. Instead they will be on whenever the AC is requested."
Yes. When ever the ac is on so are the fans...

You only used one tab for the bottom of the fan? Im sure thats becuase the center has a flat spot perfect for one, and the ret of it doesnt..? Wish I could put 3 tabs on it to be just that much more stable (peace of mind), but doesn't look like you can...
I used one tab. Trust me it's not going anywhere...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Cool. Got my vsc today, yours appearanto be a little narrower then mine. Mine will fit in that spot but an angle because it's too wide.

Now incase you had a better idea then what I have in mind, where did you put that huge fuse holder?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

It came with the vsc... You did not get one??
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ya, I got one. I was just asking where you put yours? Incase you had a better idea then what I'm think, lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

No install this weekend. I ordered 6am pacific time from jtr last Thursday (they are in California). Emailed asking for a tracking number today and they replied to should be shipping out today! Almost a week later. I was hoping to have it Friday for the 3 day weekend!!!! Grrrr. Oh well, I can install the vsc and try it out though.

In a side not my cb antenna stuff will arrive Tuesday just in time to miss this 3 day weekend install-fest lol.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I think im gonna go ahead and install the VSC and fan this weekend. Only thing I really have a question about is which fuse to connect to i nthe fuse box for the igntion? looking at a diagram, it looks like this one will work:

"IGN A Starting and Charging Ignition 1"

Sound good?

Also, im thinking of installing my IAT relocation kit in the little funnel that feeds air into the air box, like the IAT relocation manual says. I read this sensor is pretty tough. If it did infact get damaged, the stock IAT is still in place, and could it be swapped for as a replacement, right?

I just don't see how there is gonna much of a differance moving the IAT a few inches into the air box? I know its worked for every one here, but it seems very minimal unless you put it someplace else liek the little "air tube ramp" like JET suggests?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

It's alive!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Thanks for all the help guys. Especially Jongo.

The install went fairly well. Only headache was fabing a bracket for the fan. For some reason my intriped fan didnt mount as high as Jongos, so I had to make a C shapped Bracket for it.

Seems to be good. what little I have tested it, it stays around 185-190. AC on, even idling, Im pretty happy about it right now. I even used a bottle of water wetter. If it works, who knows.

Bracket I fabbed so the fan hooks to the top of the radiator.

When I ran my AC wire, I was looking for the light blue wire on the back of the compressor. It seems my light blue wire has fadded to yellow, with hints of blue on it. lol.

I had a lot of looming, so decided to put it to good use. And added quick disconnects to the fan leads rather then crimping them togther like the kit wanted.

ALSO, for any one doing the intrepid fan mount. Jongo's fan might be wired differently then mine, he said the yellow wire was high speed. One mine yeloow or green is low when used seperatly. You can only get high speed by putting power to both yellow and green!

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks pretty good. Thanks for the pics.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Looks very good. I just don't know why so much is different. But I'm so glad it worked out for you.
You should have no problems with running hot now. Mine never gets over 200 and most all the time it stays at 190 to 195.
Pulling my bass boat at 70 to 80 mph it gets up to 200.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Yeah pretty weird. Are you sure yours is wired for high? Like I mentioned above I needed both green/yellow powered for high speed.

Jtr had my order confused with someone elses, they told menit wasn't shipped when it actually was when I asked a week later.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Yes the yellow is the only wire hooked up. The other wire is low speed.
Does your fan have a relay box on the bottom?
Some do and some don't.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Don't think so. The wires run directly from the fan motor, converge at the firt connector (pictured above) then go to the last connector. A relay would explain the differance.
PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Post by PonyKiller »

Great thread guys, I just have one question.

The ECM should have the ability to control the fans without that fan controler that you paid $100 for. It should wire up to the ECM just like it does in a LS1 car. Has anyone looked into wiring it up this route? If I remember correctly then you can adjust the on/off temps for each fan in the tune?
PonyKiller
Regular
Regular

Post by PonyKiller »

Found this wiring diagram for PCM control of the fans on another forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It has been done but it is costly. Flashing the PCM to enable is a big expense. Then you don't have adjust-ability. You have to sen the PCM back in to alter the engagement if needed.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well heres the verdict.

Just got back from the trip,. lows wre in the 80s highs in the 90s, but the "feels like" temperature was around 110. There were heat advisorys all week long in Myrtle Beach.

All the way there, it ran 190-200 in near 100 degree weather. We got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour just 40 miles outside the beach. The temp gauge said the temperature outside was 100-110 degrees (it varied). During that time it hit around 207o. I wasnt too happy with that, but thats wayyyyyy better then before. I probably woulda been boiling water in that traffic without the mod!
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I am so glad it worked out for you. Just think??? You got up to 207? That is way better than stock. On a good day at 70 mph stock wouild be at 210. You were sitting for an hour. Dam that's good!!!!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Dad asked me a question after how I told him I wired the ac compressor lead.

What about when it's winter, and the defroster is running? I'm sure I don't want the fans running all e time while the defroster is on.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I unplug that lead in the winter time. It will not hurt to run them , but the need is not really there either.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Ah, I was thinking to put a crimp on female connector on the other compressor lead and switch em. But it still it will work on the temp some unplugging should work just fine too. Thanks Brule.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

My fans have developed a bad squeak. Whats the best thing to cure that with?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Aerosol Break-Free CLP works pretty good on noisy fan motors. I've also used Kroil. Both available at gun shops generally (also online from Brownells.com) and Break-Free can be had at most Wal-Marts.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I got some clp. I just wasn't sure what I could. And shouldn't. Spray on my efans.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Generally a little blast in the front (fan end) bearing area does the trick. On one vehicle I nursed along a noisy rear bearing for a couple years by drilling a 1/16" hole in the rear so I could regularly oil the rear bearing as it was inaccessible otherwise without dis-assembly of the motor.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well new problem. Fans not working.

I mentioned the bad squeak months ago, well lubricant didn't fix it, it got worst and started to act like it was out of balance, just one of the two.

Well, thankfully it's cold now. The fuse was blown. Easy fix I thought, replaced it. Fans started back up no problem, the out of balance fan was WAY worst then last I checked. Any ways it started up and then blew that new fuse about a minute later. I'm guessing the bad fan is causing the issue. The fan needs replaced either way. Does it sound like that is way the fuse is being blown?

Putting the oldmclutch fan back on Saturday for the time being.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

New radiator fan motor is $42 from NAPA. Not in stock or the warehouse. Might be a few days to get one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Most likely so. E-fan motors generally get draggy due to bearing issues or bearings letting the armature drag on the magnets before they will quit completely which causes the electrical load to go way up thus overheating/blowing the fuse.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Cool. Easy fix. Just pricey. I think I'll get another used fan assembly. It's only like $20 more (on eBay, no time to go junk yarding :( ) and I would have a spare good motor. But thanks for that suggestion. I didn't even think of that.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Would the Ebay assembly have a warranty (even 30 days)? I think that I'd lean towards a new motor. Advance has them for $47 with limited lifetime warranty. ADVANCE AUTO PARTS have killer online deals and you could have that for maybe $30 delivered to your local store tomorrow morning.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Most of em have 30-90 day warrentys... The one I bought did.... lifetime replacement... Sounds better.... Any guess if the napa or advance would perform as well as the factory motor?

I might just go that route...
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I think your link is going somewhere else from my iPhone I'll have to check it from the computer tonight.

When I searched forthe radiator fan motor for a 99 intrepid three were listed and they were over $130...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is a link to the Autozone replacement fan motor -$43.99
It too is a special order. That may put it a week out or so.
I had always planned to install new replacements if one of mine ever went bad. The salvage yard is an option, but they are getting pretty old now and who knows how they are being stored. Water intrusion from sitting outside might be a concern.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Stopped by napa while working, they said all they had for a 99 intrepid was the whole assembly. No motors... Might have to find an item number.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry, my mistake. The references that I used were the LS1 / LT1 Camaro fans. Those parts are readily available.
You're on your own searching for "D" parts ;)
Now that I realize you are using Mopar parts in a GM vehicle , I'm not surprised that they are being rejected , or failed :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The link that I provided was for online ordering. Order it online and if, it is in stock, drive to your local store and it will be already pulled for you. Beats their employee discount. A fellow club member is a manager at one locally and I use the process almost exclusively.
..............................CODE
15%.......................EMW53 - ($5 off $30 or more)
25%.......................EMW14 - ($10 off $40 or more)
40%.......................EMW25 - ($20 off orders over $50)
40%.......................EMW37 - ($30 off orders over $75)
25%.......................EMW41 - ($40 off orders over $100)
25%.......................EMW52 - ($50 off orders over $200)
20%.......................EMW20 - (20% off all orders – no minimum)
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

F9K9 wrote:The link that I provided was for online ordering. Order it online and if, it is in stock, drive to your local store and it will be already pulled for you. Beats their employee discount. A fellow club member is a manager at one locally and I use the process almost exclusively.
..............................CODE
15%.......................EMW53 - ($5 off $30 or more)
25%.......................EMW14 - ($10 off $40 or more)
40%.......................EMW25 - ($20 off orders over $50)
40%.......................EMW37 - ($30 off orders over $75)
25%.......................EMW41 - ($40 off orders over $100)
25%.......................EMW52 - ($50 off orders over $200)
20%.......................EMW20 - (20% off all orders – no minimum)
Yup, that's where it sent me. Bella deal. But I'm guessing your thinking ls1 like brule and not the intrepid that I have? Like I said thr only intrepid motors on advance are $130+. if that's the case I'll get another unit and keep the spare from my current one. Or the newer on I get...

I think I may have cause the problem by not havingthe edges of the fan assembly secured. Maybe the fan was allowed to move some and doing so it wore itself out. I'll rig a way to secure it just incase.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:..........But I'm guessing your thinking ls1 like brule and not the intrepid that I have? Like I said thr only intrepid motors on advance are $130+.........
You're right. We both have/had the LS1s. Sorry if, muddied the waters. :oops:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those discount codes need to be saved in the classifieds. That is worth saving for sure.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Well, went the eBay route again and got another intrepid fan for $68. Well technically it's from a 2000 Concorde with 112k miles, with 90 day warrenty. I really wish I had time to go junk yarding =\

Pulled my fans today, put the clutch fan back on. Bought some external torx sockets, I'll need em to remove the fan motor. Glad I decided to check that out first, that's a tool I don't own.

I also went and unplugged the ac compressor lead wire for the winter (for the vsc). And also unplugged my relocated iat and plugged my stock one back in for winter. Wanted to swap my 180 jet thermostat for my stant but decided I didn't want to get into that.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If your area is humid or you get some moisture inside, you may find the need to reconnect the AC compressor clutch. It serves to dehumidify the air and aid in defrosting the windshield. I had to plug mine back in.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I ment I disconnected the turn on lead to the compressor for the fans. My defrost/ac compressor is still hooked up.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My mistake. I did that too for the winter.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Got the fans. Unpacked em.'spun em by hand and one has a junked bearing like my old one before it totally failed! It has a 90 day warrenty. So well see what the seller has to say.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hey, those with cooling problems, do you have a body lift? I hear that can mess up the fan intake part and mess with the cooling flow. I've never had a cooling problem on mine, and I have fairly large tires, and a winch right in the front of the radiator. I'm on my 3rd radiator, and I use the cheapy $100 ones from Rock Auto. Would have just been on my 2nd, but soon after I replace the first one, the motor mount busted and when the engine flung over, the fan blades broke and busted through the radiator and fan shroud. Now I have the unbreakable JTR mounts.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Yes I have a body lift.

The parts dealer messages me back, they are gonna send a fan/motor to replace the bad one. Said they would send it express shipping, said that wasn't necessary. But good customer service.

I tried to tear my old bad motor apart, I bet new bearings would fix it, but I have no clue how to take it apart, oh well.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The body lift is not going to be an issue when using E-fans.

The motors may be sealed units with bushings that are not replaceable?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That may be the case.
It's funny though, the torx bolts on my fan were cut so a flat head could unscrew em (the bad fan) because they didn't have a e6 socket. Ao apperantly it's gone bad before. And the same fan on th one I just got is bad too... Weird that it's seems it's one side that goes bad?
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Got my package from the eBay guy. Thought it seemed a bit heavy, when opening it I discovered he didn't send the single fan/motor, but another complete shroud assembly. So now il have two back up fans. Or I guess I could even mod one of the two other fan shrouds I have and just have a complete back up? Lol.