Installing ZR-2 or ZR5 Fenders/flares

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Installing ZR-2 or ZR5 Fenders/flares

Post by ApproachMedium »

I need large fender flares on the front of my CC because of my poor selection in fancy wheels leaves me with tires extruding from my front fenders and failing NJ inspection, and destroying the sides of my truck with mud dirt rocks and anything I run over. I want to know if the ZR-5 fender flares will bolt right on to the stock CC fenders or do I need to get a whole new fender along with the flares? If that is the case, I would rather just get the ZR-2 fenders and flares for the front. I have a few connections with some junkyards in the area that can get me either or.

Has anyone else made either of these modifications to their CC? Whats your experience? whats involved? I am very good friends with an owner of a body shop, so having them painted to match etc. is not going to be a problem. I just want to know if there are any other mods that need to be done to the stock truck in order for them to be attached properly.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Installing ZR-2 or ZR5 Fenders/flares

Post by 04crewvt »

ZR-2 fenders will work up front but not in back on our rigs due the the bulges in the Isuzu bed. ZR-5 flares only add a little bit but will bolt right on. A set of Skidz flairs with the fender cuts would be your best bet if there are any still around.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You might check to see if HJ still has his set for sale in the classifieds.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I do still have a new set of the Skidz flares. No offers yet.

If your wheels lack rear spacing, the Skidz Cut-out flares are really your only option. You need the added clearance for your increased scrub radius.

Bushwacker extend-a-fender flares can be made to fit, but they reduce the already small wheel wells.

No one ever tried the late ninties Ford F150 bushwacker flares. Those were something that I thought might work.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

How much more over the stock fender will the Skidz give me? Thanks to the stupid design of these axles my fronts stick out much farther than the rears, so I really dont care about the rear. Rear doesn't show any tread looking down but the fronts show 1/3rd of the tire almost.

I do need the rear spacing on the front wheels though for the increased scrub radius... Even with adjusting the torson bars to keep the right wheel from hitting the fender every bump the left tire still rubs on the back of my fender when cut full left.

Does anyone know how many inches out from the fender itself the ZR-5 flare and ZR-2 flares give respectively? Keeping in mind I need to make sure whatever path I do choose needs to make sure I have no tread exposed looking down at my tire from the top, or it wont pass inspection.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No one has done a ZR2 flare conversion here. Finding them and their costs will make HJ's alternative look very attractive. The ZR2 fenders have a larger wheel well opening. Your best bet is to find any stock back spaced wheel set and some decent tires to throw on your rig for inspection purposes. Just swap them out after you pass inspection.

I have a set of N90s that I picked up for $100 that are in good shape. I picked them up because of warranty issues. I paid $100 for them and they have sat for 5 yrs at work. Find a friend with some stockers and borrow them for the inspection. I also have a new set of the SKIDZ flares but, they will also make HJ's look like a good deal. Mine aren't going up for sale until HJ's are gone or my CC has been sold or junked.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

What does he want for the Skidz, I cant seem to find it in the classifieds?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:No one has done a ZR2 flare conversion here... ZR2 fenders have a larger wheel well opening.
They also have a lip for mounting. To do it right you would need both front fenders and inner fenders as well as the flares. That would take care of the front. I have no idea how you might make ZR2 fender flares work on the back. Building the lip and the major cuts to open it up would not be easy. Then figuring out how to match it to the profile might be a nightmare. Grafting a fender side or building a short bed from a ZR2 bed might be easier?

ZR5 flares are an appearance package. They add little to no extra coverage.

I guess you could just buy some rubber and bolt it to the fender lip for coverage? ;) :!:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Still makes an extra set of wheels and tires look attractive.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No doubt. If the goal is to pass inspection, that is THE easiest answer.
I'm pretty sure that he will find that wheels with more rear spacing are a must too. There is just no good way to get an 8" wheel with less than 4.75" rear spacing to clear very well. Staying with small tires will help, but I think that I'd be looking for wheels if it were me.

I do like the wide stance, don't get me wrong. The Skidz flares and a wider stance make one mean looking truck. Your yellow beast is a great example of "Tough Look'n Truck".

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The ZR2 bed is doable. Club member chopped his and he spent a lot of large amount of time on it. When I saw it, I asked him why he didn't just find a crew cab bed. He looked dumbfounded. Don't you think his bears a slight resemblance?

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You bet. That would be the answer to ZR2 rear flares. Sure makes you glad that we had the Skidz flares. More room in the wheels wells and lots less work than that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

So 500 for skidz, I can probably get the ZR-2 parts alot cheaper from the junkie but I would only be looking at doing the front of the truck, because we all know it doesn't really work for the rear without heavy modifications.

Id go with the separate set of wheels and tires option but I have zero room here to store something like that for an event that happens every two years.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ApproachMedium wrote:... I can probably get the ZR-2 parts alot cheaper from the junkie but I would only be looking at doing the front of the truck...
Id go with the separate set of wheels and tires option but I have zero room here to store something like that for an event that happens every two years.
Take pictures! I would be interested in how the fenders and inner fender fit , or if there are any differences. You might look for a BlaZer2 front clip just in case the pick-ups have tiny differences. Our front half is the same as a Blazer.

What about selling those wheels that don't work and install some that have more rearspacing?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I probably would have to get the whole front outer clip. From what I saw when I was studying my friends GMC version is the front bumper is different too. I am probably opening a can of worms to try and do something so massive but I think I could do it if I really wanted to. Now just to find the time? LOL.

Id sell the wheels but I just got them in August and the tires are brand new too. Around here they dont like moving tires from wheel to wheel... I fortunately had a friend do it for me which I dont have the time to get to at the moment to do another swap. I had to get rid of my old aftermarket wheels that came with the truck because they were bent to all hell. These were real cheap (silly me again!) so now im stuck with them. Id rather not go and dump another big load of money on wheels and tires for a truck with almost 230K on it.... Then again here I am about to go and dump $500 bucks on fender flares? But hey, its gonna make it LOOK so good! why not?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Well the ZR-2 flares option is out, for what its worth with trying to find all of those parts intact on a junk yard vehicle and then doing all the work isnt fitting my bill. From what I looked up theres alot of little parts inside that must be installed too, like the inner fender liners, different bumper and brackets, grille etc. Maybe in the next life, heh or a few years down the road. I think going for the Skidz is going to be my best option at the moment.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ