DIY Bed Liner

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ccc

DIY Bed Liner

Post by ccc »

I'd like to coat my bumpers and nerf bars with a DIY bed liner product. Does anyone have a particular product to reccommend? Any advice is appreicated.

Thanks
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

DIY Bed Liner

Post by raven2510 »

Raptor liner
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
ccc

Re: DIY Bed Liner

Post by ccc »

Thanks Raven!
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

DIY Bed Liner

Post by raven2510 »

Its what I used. I will post some pics tomorrow.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Why the bumpers? (Just out of curiousity)
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
ccc

Post by ccc »

The paint on my bumpers is chipped up pretty bad. I took them off 2 years ago, sanded, primer, painted and clear coated them and they are back to where i was two years ago. The front bumper is the worse. The rear is chipped up on the ends from rocks thrown up by the tires. I thought that the bedliner stuff would be less likely to chip and since the bumpers won't see the same use as a truck bed, my hope is that the DIY stuff wouldd work well. If the bumpers hold-up well, I plan to do the rocker panels.

Any other thoughts?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I took a look at the product Rator liner recently. Sadly the gun no longer comes in the kit and you must purchase it separately. The product looks good, although I have no experience with it. It can be tinted to color match if you want to , or so I am told. That might be a nice option.

Have you asked about the cost to have a liner professionally applied at one of your local body shops?
I have no idea if the cost has come down to a reasonable level.

Personally, if I were to attempt it today, I think that U-Pol Raptor Truck Bed Liner Kit would be my choice. Looks like it is right around $100

Be VERY careful spraying urethane products. The hardener contains tolulene diisocyanate. Isocyanates build up in your system and can not be released. My last paint job was a very expensive one. I sprayed lots of paint and it finally came to the point of an allergic reaction. I stopped breathing and they spent eight hours in ER bringing me back. It took half a dozen years to recover lung capacity after that last paint job. The warnings not require the use of a fresh air respirator. Filter respirators are not effective.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

...well maybe a fresh coat of spray paint is all that's in order for the bumpers, and some brush on for the rocker panels. It is certainly not worth dying over.

I will check the local spay-on dealers.

Thanks!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

DIY Bed Liner

Post by raven2510 »

If you paint in an enclosed area without proper respiration, then yes...it can kill ya. But you can spray raptor liner outside. It has nearly no overspray because of how thick and heavy it is. I did.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Paints also contain isocyanates as does electrical wiring if heated and released. Don't let me scare you off! I used to do lots and lots of painting. My system was saturated and this stuff was new. Urethane products just came into the market.

Just a word of warning that it is what you can not smell that will "get cha". Heed the warnings on the product and even then they may not protect you. We are all case studies from which others learn.

Looking for a bed liner ... the Raptor stuff is top of my list right now.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

Here are some pictures of what Raptor looks like after 1.5yrs in Nebraska. I sprayed it onto my rockers & flares. I will be doing my bed this summer.

1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Very nice! 8) I wanted to do exactly that to mine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Sweet!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Impressive! Especially the part about after 1.5 yrs in Nebraska. I lived there over fifty years and can attest to the severity of the winter salt etc on vehicle bodies.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.