Back Pressure Problem

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Back Pressure Problem

Post by nebby58 »

I had a dual exhaust put on my truck. It is just a magnaflow muffler with a y pipe. I was just wondering if you lose back pressure when a dual exhaust is installed. I have to get the truck to 2,000 rpms just to get it to move. Has anyone else experienced this? It is not accelerating as fast as it was, and moves vary slow (especially when I am pulling out in front of another car). Anyone know anything about this?
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Back Pressure Problem

Post by HenryJ »

The main catalytic converter offers plenty of back pressure for the engine to perform properly. Unless it is plugged up I would look elsewhere for the problem.
Start with the basics:
Stuck brakes (caliper slide pins), All fluid levels (transmission), Ignition, Fuel, Air. Make sure all the basics are in order. Never assume they are OK. Also don't forget that new parts does not mean good parts.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

My check engine light is on. Do you think this would have anything to do with the 2 inch bl that was just installed?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It could be the exhaust install or body lift install. Read the code and it will tell us what to look for. Autozone or O'riley's will usually do it for free.

Hobie raised his right side of the cab too far and pulled some wires out of the PCM connector. That caused a similar problem, so I can not say the BL install could not be part of the problem.

If they messed up the rear O2 sensor during the exhaust install, that could be another suspect. You might crawl underneath and make sure all three are plugged in and the wiring is not damaged.

Keep in mind that that MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) is primarily an emissions related malfunction light. I think of it as the "I'm poluting the atmoshpere light" . It does not usually mean doom and destruction are imminent.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

One shop did both projects. It is going back there first thing tomorrow. It looks and sounds great, but the performance dropped greatly. Thanks for the help. I would probably still be trying to tighten exhaust pipes.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The truck will run just great with a straight pipe. No muffler at all. More than one has done that. I am sure their neighbors are not impressed though :lol:

If you are just getting them to read the code for you, that is fine. Do your homework and look around a little yourself before you take it back complaining. They won't like it and that makes it more expensive. No one likes come backs and when they roll in with some strange "seemingly" unrelated problem, that just makes it worse.

Do your detective work. Crawl around see what you can find.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Yeah, I'm sure when my neighbors go to call the cops and they ask what the vehical is they will say,"It's a tiny black pickup truck and it is so incredibly noisy!" (One more benefit of having a small truck!), but I just got the truck back today and it was like that from the moment I drove away. I figured the new exhaust was just warming up, but it never did. They said all of the parts are under warrenty and if I had any problems to bring the truck back. I trust the guy, he seems nice enough. I'm sure he will at least "look" at it. I wish my mechanical skills were a little better for reasons like this, but first vehical, first experiences to learn from. I am starting to think that the service engine soon light and the performance is unrelated. If not, I can find people with connections. The next step down from professional mechanic is a redneck buddy! (And asking your trusted forum members)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If the shop that did the work will let you watch. Watch and learn. Asking questions is great, but don't be a pest. We learn best by listening and watching closely.
The good relationship that you build with the mechanic, parts store counter person , and everyone else you need for automotive help will pay back huge benefits.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Absolutely. I couldn't believe how efficient they work. I watched them finish the job. One of the guys working on it put a drill all the way through his hand recently. Thats a wake up call no matter how experienced you are. Well, thanks for the help. Once I get this figured out, I think the exhaust is youtube worthy (but they have low standards anyway). The dual chrome tips give it that muscle car look.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Are you sure the SES light wasn't on before you took it in? Like Brule said, look for obvious problems first like wires or hoses not plugged in or maybe melted or damaged. Knowing the stored code would help alot. The problem could have been caused by the shop, or it could just be coincidence.

Steve
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

No, the light was not on. When I returned to the shop to pick it up the first time, they asked me if it was on before. I told them it wasn't, but nothing appeared to be wrong and they seemed unconcerned. I called them back today and they said some wires may have been pulled from the transmission during the lift.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I just had O'reilly run an test for the codes. He said the O2 sensor was malfuctioning, there was something wrong with the transmission, and a fuel line was not performing properly. I believe the O2 sensor is located on the cat, right? All I know about the tranny is that it is making a grinding sound when I drive. The fuel line I am not really concerned about. There are no leaks and my car starts up just fine. The transmission is shifting very hard. Any ideas about what is specifically wrong with it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All over the place.
Fuel. Has the filter been changed?
O2 sensor. Make sure they are properly connected as I suggested earlier. One after the cat and two before. The code tells you which one.
The transmission code could be many things. Grinding is not good. Get ready for a $2000 bill on that problem.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Grinding was a bad word, it is shifting hard and not performing smoothly. Is there a dipstick to check transmission fluid? I could not find one. The Indian customer service did not help at all, but appearently I am due for a transmission fluid change.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I change the filter and exchange all the fluid every 30k miles. The maximum service interval is every 50k miles.
Check around , but you should be able to find a shop that will do the service with a filter change for around $200. Make sure they change the filter.
The transmission dipstick is near the firewall along side the right (passenger) side of the engine. It needs to be checked warm with the engine running in park.
If you do not have an owners manual, check the sticky and get the electronic version. It will help you with checking fluids and service intervals.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Well, I checked it. I am very low on both tranny fluid and oil. Do you think that this could have been the cause of the problems I have been having?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You tell me. Is it better now?
If it is remove the battery cables, wait three minutes and reattach them to reset the PCM. That will clear all the codes and set a new start sequence.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I would have to change the fluids to find out for sure. I would imagine it would have to be.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Just drove it again. I am almost positive it is the fluid level. The entire truck jults forward when shifting gears.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Stop driving it than and change the fluid!!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I know! :) I just love driving my creation so much! I almost passed out when I saw how dry the dipstick was. I'm so desperate that I will change it on Easter. I will have to drive a Toyota Rav 4 (shivers) to O'reilly and get the parts that I need. Wish me luck! (I'm going to need it)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

No, take it back to the shop that did the work and tell them about every new problem that appeared right after they worked on it. They made a few mistakes, which is ok as long as they fix it right. You now have 3 codes as well. I'm sure they will help you out, but try to be polite if you can.
Try to do as much of the simple maintenance as you can, it will save you a lot of $ and you will be more familier with your truck. Just my 2 cents.

Steve
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I will take it back to the shop for the other problems, but the tranny fluid was my fault and had nothing to do with the install. I'm trying to get a few projects under by belt anyway to learn about the mechanics of cars. The O2 sensors I think was the thing that triggered the SES light. The project looks simple enough for me to handle, but thanks for the imput.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ummmm Just a thought here but if the fluid>>>> ANY FLUID level is that low you better do some serious crawling around and inspecting to find out where it went!!! If not obvious externally the trans fluid may have leaked out into the transfer case. Look EVERYWHERE!! As for the engine oil it may have burned that and close attention to that level may need to be maintained at all times. Low or no oil in either the engine or the trans = major$$$ in repairs particularly if neglected. :alert:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

The engine oil is ok. I am fine for the next 3,000 miles. I am thinking that I did not read the dipstick properly on the transmission fluid. This being the first problem I have had with the transmission, I do not think that I am loosing fluid. In any case, the fluid needs to be changed anyway. If it turns out that I am missing transmission fluid, I am having the thing towed away. If it gets to the point that I have to spend big money on the fix, I will probably sell the truck. I don't really want to think about that, but I don't think that this will be the case.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Ok, just rechecked the tranny fluid level. The level is normal, but the color is darker than it should be. I'm getting the thing checked out one way or another.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

When was the fluid last changed? If you answer with "I don't know" that means its time to change it :lol:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

green02crew wrote:When was the fluid last changed? If you answer with "I don't know" that means its time to change it :lol:
Thats a good one to go by! :lol: Alright I guess it's time!
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

The shop called and said that wires in the transmission are broken, and they are trying to find them.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Update: wires in the transmission that control the shifting were broken. The car tried to start in the third gear when accelerating after a stop.