Did the throttle blade today-results

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

Sorry it took so long to get back-unexpected crap-you know how it goes! Anyway, cutting off the throttle blade only in part was the right thing to do. I cut the air diffuser about 2/3 of the way, leaving a 4-5mm. lip then shaping & smoothing the lip.
In a parking lot or slow maneuvering it’s like it was, but then when you pull out on the road & open the throttle more, it feels like somebody dumped a bucket of HP under the hood.
Of course, this is how it feels, like switching to e-fans, you are only feeling differently placed, more low end, “ready power”, not new HP or torque.
All in all, your really missing out on a cheap, easy & fast to do little mod. If you haven’t done it yet
As for gas mileage, expect at first a small reduction only because you are getting used to and “playing” with the new “guts” your truck has. After a week or so, the MPG’s will be the same. Maybe even a little better, depends on you, not the truck.
If you align & seal (reinstall) the blade right, there won’t be any change in idle speed, or any other ill effects. Best of all, if you don’t like it for some reason, you can undo it, but my truck is staying this way!
:rock:
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I did mine last year. Cut the whole thing off. Got rid of the hesitation. But a year later, it still feels as if it has a lot, but I know it's a major improvement.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Did the throttle blade today-results

Post by killian96ss »

Cutting off the restrictor does add hp since you are increasing airflow at all rpm's. You are adding at least 5 hp, but no more than 10 hp total, plus you are slightly changing the powerband. Definitely one of the best mods!

Steve
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

...ok I have the torx screws out , opened the throttle but the blade won't turn lose. What am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to find the step by step thread fro thr t blade mod. Found it, no help. The thread says it just slides out. I've tapped on the blade in the open position with a wooden dowel but it's still holding solid.

Any thoughts?
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pull and wiggle.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

Cajun wrote:...ok I have the torx screws out , opened the throttle but the blade won't turn lose. What am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to find the step by step thread fro thr t blade mod. Found it, no help. The thread says it just slides out. I've tapped on the blade in the open position with a wooden dowel but it's still holding solid.

Any thoughts?
There,s alot of hard carbon buildup on the bottom of the blade if you didn't clean it, it's fine, just grab it with a rag & your hands & work it out. If fights you that hard, plan on cleaning the whole throttle body-it needs it bad! If the 2 torx screws are out of the shaft, the blade will slide out-just work it! Get a can of carb. cleaner & some red lok-tite, you'll need it later-the blade is aluminum, don't bend it, pulling on it hard.
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Thanks guys, I'd didn't want to break anything. I'll get some carb cleaner tomorrow.
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Why was this not factory installed if it is so good for throttle response?
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

nebby58 wrote:Why was this not factory installed if it is so good for throttle response?
The soccer grandmas these trucks were marketed to would find the throttle too touchy or jumpy. They want smooth and fuzzy driving.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

HenryJ wrote:
nebby58 wrote:Why was this not factory installed if it is so good for throttle response?
The soccer grandmas these trucks were marketed to would find the throttle too touchy or jumpy. They want smooth and fuzzy driving.
I take pride in having the coolest looking s10 in town. I got all of the old people beat by a long shot. :roflmao:
Last edited by nebby58 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They did a test in the sixties on the Nova. Two identical cars were test driven the only difference was one had a stiffer throttle return spring. The one with the "snappier" throttle was perceived to have more performance and be the "sportier muscle car".
This is the same thing.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I'm convinced on this now, but once I get all of the bugs fixed on mine, I think I will just drive it for a while. Every time I think I will stop modding, I see another thread, then a little less money in my pocket. I keep telling myself that modding this truck is a marathon, not a sprint (doesn't work though).
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

I just finished the cut down version described above and WOW :shock: what a difference! The truck jumbs right out of the hole on acceleration from a dead stop now. This has to be the best mod for the buck. A close second would be the poly front sway bar bushings.

Thanks for your help guys!
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Hey Cajun, on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard was it?
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

Cajun wrote:I just finished the cut down version described above and WOW :shock: what a difference! The truck jumbs right out of the hole on acceleration from a dead stop now. This has to be the best mod for the buck. A close second would be the poly front sway bar bushings.

Thanks for your help guys!
And it gets even better!
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

nebby58 wrote:Hey Cajun, on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard was it?
I'd say, on a scale of 1-10, it's a 1 or a 2 as long as you don't drop anything in there you can't pick back out. Then it becomes a lot of work. Hey Cajun-did you lok-tite the screws back in?
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

On a scale of one to ten, it's about a 1 to 1 1/2 as long as you have a dremel tool. I'm sure you could easily cut off the whole shield with tin snips or a hack saw and clean it up with a file and emery cloth. I used a circle template to trace an arched line round the shield so it maintains its taper, i.e. about 3/8" wide at the center and tapering off to zero as the shield meets the throttle blade. I cut off a 1/2" through the center.

With a little of the shield left on the truck behaves well in an out of a parking space, then jumps to attention with a little touch of the accelerator.

I did use lock-tite, the blue kind is what I had on hand and generally find it works well and is easier to break loose the next time you need to get at the screws. I hate stripping screws.

I'm sure that it is possible to drop the screws into the throttle body but with a little care the chance is next to nil in my option. To be safe have a friend hold the cable and arm in the closed position when removing and replacing the screws.

This is a must do!
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

So lets say by chance you have sceptical parent who if afraid I might destroy my engine. Any selling points? I know that the hardest part is going to be getting the thing out.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can always buy a used one to modify, or the CFM throttle blade. Then it is reversible.
I had the CFM throttle blade and sold my stock blade. I kept it for a long time and swapped it back once. Bad move. CFM went right back in.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

:lol: I showed him the step by step instructions provided on the CC website, and after a long pause, he said "Yeah, this is probably do-able" :lol:
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

It's a piece of cake!

Good Luck! :D
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Thanks, I'm gonna need it.

Post by 159951 »

this mod seems to only be good in town on country roads when ur already up to speed it dont seem like it did anything but around town at low speed from light to light etc it seems to be pirty awsome lol i eliminated mine all the way but throttle responce is alot better it picks up and drops faster 4.3s seem to rev down slow and oddly it seems to help that a lil bit :) deffanitly worth the 10min this mod took to do tho! and free!!! best part
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome palindrome! :wave:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
booth9c1ss
Regular
Regular

Post by booth9c1ss »

I have done this on two trucks.

On the one with the manual transmission, I love it.

On a blazer with an auto, it's okay. I love the throttle response, but because you can use less throttle, the TPS makes the tranny upshift too soon. With the tow/haul mode activated on that vehicle it was okay, but I had to turn that mode on every ignition cycle. If you get the PCM reprogrammed to raise the shift points, It would be good.

Steve :2:
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Completed this on my truck today. I will be doing it to any further S10 trucks I come in contact with. One question, my blade was a bit different from the ones in the DIY page. It had 1 pop rivet and two other rivets holding the piece you want to cut off on the blade. For now I cut the piece off per the instructions, but was going to knock the rivets out till it hit me that there would then be 3 new holes in the blade when its at idle. I would imagine that would cause problems with the trucks IAC?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ApproachMedium wrote:... I would imagine that would cause problems with the trucks IAC?
Oh, yes it would. Don't do that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

HenryJ wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:... I would imagine that would cause problems with the trucks IAC?
Oh, yes it would. Don't do that.

LOL I wont, It drove nicely today so I will leave well enough alone!!!
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

Just did this too. Love the throttle response now. Night and day different.
2002 Crew Cab
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

crazycarl wrote:Just did this too. Love the throttle response now. Night and day different.
Awesome right??? I am doing this to every vehicle I come in contact with now lol. Also checked the other day and I was averaging about 17.5MPG. Not bad for a truck with a dead #3 cyl.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
crazycarl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crazycarl »

ApproachMedium wrote:
crazycarl wrote:Just did this too. Love the throttle response now. Night and day different.
Awesome right??? I am doing this to every vehicle I come in contact with now lol. Also checked the other day and I was averaging about 17.5MPG. Not bad for a truck with a dead #3 cyl.

Definitely. Thats one thing I didn't mention, according to the eye test, my gas gauge seems to be dropping a bit slower. I'll have to actually get an "official" MPG soon though and right now I'm rolling with with an SES light on for a bad o2 sensor.
2002 Crew Cab