To anybody that adapted and mounted an OEM fan. LS x, etc.

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

I'm about to change my Flex. 210 to a set of Intrepid fans, not because the Flex fans didn't work, they did good for the past 3 1/2 years. But because the intrepid fans are supposed to move more air, be quieter, and be smoother (balanced better) and to be honest, I like to mess with my truck.
My question is, where the shrowed sits against the radiator core all around it), should I make up a rubber gasket of sorts or not worry about it. Also anybody who uses an Intreped fan, chime in, tell me how you mounted it, how you like it, etc.
Last edited by S10Wheels on Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: To anybody that adapted and mounted an OEM fan. LS x, et

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

My bottom mount is much like yours, using the tabs, etc. and the top mount is the same. But I'm wondering about where the plastic shrowed will contact the edges of the core? The Flex. 210 has a rubber gasket (like a door or trunk lid) around the edge of the shrowed to seal & protect the fins at the edge. Is this of any consern? Or am I just stressing for no reason? On one hand - It's a stupid, unessesary thing, on the other hand - it may keep those fins streight-does it even matter? What do you think?
'03 S-10 ext. cab 4.3, truck top, CAI intake, reprogrammed PCM, Throttle blade mod., e-fans, 180* thermo., Flowmaster 50, Clear corner & tailgate lighls, LED's all around, Camaro RS/Z28 wheels, Sony HU, Sony Spkrs. in doors, small amp. & Sub., converted to power windows, bucket seats & floor console, big 3 mod, AD 244 alt.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

http://forums.s-10crewcab.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7993

One of my LONG install threads. Pics on page 2.

I didn't use a gasket or anything, just slide it in there. Tight fit. Bent some fins on the outside doing so. One of my motors went bad, out of balance. The fan was mounted slightly loosely, that may have been the reason. Got a new assembly, swapped motors, and used some of those radiator zip tie things to help keep it secure. Not sure if that helped.
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

fallvitals wrote:http://forums.s-10crewcab.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7993

One of my LONG install threads. Pics on page 2.

I didn't use a gasket or anything, just slide it in there. Tight fit. Bent some fins on the outside doing so. One of my motors went bad, out of balance. The fan was mounted slightly loosely, that may have been the reason. Got a new assembly, swapped motors, and used some of those radiator zip tie things to help keep it secure. Not sure if that helped.
I have read your post many times over, I also use a VSC controller & I've wired the Intrepid fans to run at high speed since the VSC runs the fans at 60% speed unless it decides the fans need to run faster. And I'm running a 180* Jet thermo.
More than likely, I will forgo a gasket under the shrowd, I just needed some reassureance that it'll be OK. Thanks
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I haven't had a problem without a gasket. Because of the ac lines? Above the radiator it is hard sliding it in there, like I said I bent some fins, but once in place, I don't see issues. But iv been wrong. lol. I have no clue when my fans are at 60 or 100%, wish there was a led to tell.

But if you can wiggle the shroud once installed, I'd recommend those special radiator zip ties to help keep it in place to keep the motors from vibrating. I think that's what happened with mine.

Word of advice. If your wires connecting to the fan (if you use connectors) aren't the same colors, wire it so it will plug in one way.

I had like yellow and green from the vsc to a red and black to the motor. Well I reinstalled my fans this spring, and was runining like 230 in 60 degree weather. Turns out I plugged the fan in backwards. lol blonde moment.
S10Wheels
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by S10Wheels »

Thought I'd let you know about my fan changeover last week from a Flex-a-lite 210, to an Intrepid fan. After I removed the 210's, I could see the 2 fans side by side and compare. The Intrepid fan was about 3-5 lbs.heavier because the shrowed is thicker and more ridged and the motors are larger and "heavy duty" as were the blades. After I trimmed the mounting brackets off and smoothed the edges with a grinder, it fit the 4.3 radiator perfictly, I used a 1X1 angle alumunium across the bottom and made 3 brackets (tabs) at the bottom to fit in the factory lower shrowd slots, and the top was the same as I had it done for the Flex. fans, (see HJ's post on installing LS fans).
Anyway, after I mounted & wired it-Here's my impressions. The Intrepid fan is more "heavy duty" all around like an OEM fan, the flex 210 is lighter & about 1" thinner, it has 9 thin stright blades, the Intrepid fan has 5 wide curved blades on each fan. The Intrepid fan runs smoother & quieter, and moves a little more air. I'm going to try the Intrepid fans through the summer, now it gets around 90*-92*, soon the real "dog days" will be here, - good test. In the fall, I'll decide, which fan stays, and which will go. While the Flex. 210 is a good fan, I think the Intrepid fan will win out in the end.
:wave: