crew cab on zr2 frame (aka baja crew cab)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

dominusmortis
Regular
Regular

crew cab on zr2 frame (aka baja crew cab)

Post by dominusmortis »

so yeah. been looking into this. looks doible. got some questions though. what are the cutting point on the frames (crumple zones?)? im going for practicality here. i dont need it sky high, and im not fond of body lifts. definately no t-cranks. and the 2 inch lift kit is garbage, so says the manufacturers (i know, i called them). the truck is going to be kept till it dies, so i wanna do it right. anyway, give me some suggestions if you guys could. i have some schematics of the frames if it would help.

TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: crew cab on zr2 frame (aka baja crew cab)

Post by HenryJ »

There have been at least three ZR2 crew cabs built by different people. Greg is the last forum member that is still active on the forums that I know of. He is on ZR2USA most of the time. Look for a red ZR2 crewcab.
I have seen a couple good pictorials done, You should be able to find them with a little searching.
You should be able to find a few threads on them with pictures too.

GMUpfitter.com has all you need to compare the frames.

Another option is the MML. The Marvelous Mystery Lift will have the truck just slightly wider and about two inches taller than a factory ZR2. Lots cheaper to do too.

Hit the classifieds. I believe the 2000 black crewcab ZR2 is still for sale. He has quite a few pictures in his build thread.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dominusmortis
Regular
Regular

Post by dominusmortis »

what about just putting the cab on the zr2 frame and putting on a flat bed instead of the box? think that might work? and thanks for the links, HJ. you are a master of your craft...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That could work. How about shortening the bed?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
dominusmortis
Regular
Regular

Post by dominusmortis »

wow. that looks really nice. you are genius dude, straight genius. now with the marvelous mystery lift, how far did you have to crank you t-bars (as in the bolt being flush with the block)?
dominusmortis
Regular
Regular

Post by dominusmortis »

alright. im trackin. so basically most of the lift that comes from the MML will be from the 33" meats on the ground. in combination with the t-bar crank, BSW kit, and body lift. how am i doin so far (hope im getting close)?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2" lift from the bodylift. 2" lift from tires 4" taller than the stock optional offroad tire. 1/2"-1 1/2" lift from the torsion bar adjustment.
Gain 2"-3" ground clearance at the front and 2" at the rear.

- ThunderII KE7CSK