Exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exhaust

Post by JORSWIFT »

I have the stock exhaust on my 2002 GMC CC 4.3L. Was wondering what are peeps running on their trucks. Look for some sound and performance. Does anyone have a Cherry Bomb?
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Exhaust

Post by nebby58 »

I used to have a thrush glasspack. They are all really the same. It will make is sound like a motorcycle at idle. Not incredibly loud, but it is a v6 engine. I'm running a y pipe and duals (incomplete) right now.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The "New" Cherrybomb Vortex muffler is a combination of all three muffler designs. It is unique. I think it might make a good one for the V-6 too.
The Delta flow muffler I had on mine was pretty darn good. I still think the 3" cat back single is the sweet spot for the s-series V-6.
It will all depend upon what you want it to sound like , your driving habits and your environmental conditions.
You are building a horn. Tube size, muffler, length and tip all play a part.
Check with your local muffler guru. They know what works best for your area.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Not to hyjack your thread, but what does ID and OD mean when trying to measure the pipes?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Inside Diameter and Outside Diameter.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Ok. So an 3" OD will fit outside of a 3" pipe.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

3" OD will fit inside 3" ID

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i just run a Y pipe. . had a flowmaster but want loud enough for me i had it cut out a y pipe put in in place of it its a lot deeper sound with just the y pipe sounds alot better than my flowmaster did and i checked 0 to 60 times with the flowmaster vs the y pipe and the y pipe gave me better 0 to 60 times . . need to check your state laws and see if u can get away with haven just a y pipe i can get away with it here where i live to pass incpection but i just dont put my foot in it when i go by a cop :lol:
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:i just run a Y pipe. . had a flowmaster but want loud enough for me i had it cut out a y pipe put in in place of it its a lot deeper sound with just the y pipe sounds alot better than my flowmaster did and i checked 0 to 60 times with the flowmaster vs the y pipe and the y pipe gave me better 0 to 60 times . . need to check your state laws and see if u can get away with haven just a y pipe i can get away with it here where i live to pass incpection but i just dont put my foot in it when i go by a cop :lol:
I had a 1 inlet 2 outlet magnaflow muffler put on by an exhaust shop. My best advice to a person putting on a new muffler is to take it to a shop. I just spent 2 days getting off the muffler with a hack saw. It is very hard to get an auto store to order a custom y pipe. I think the y pipe is the way to go, but it is hard to find the right fit.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

im lucky i guess ive got a great exhaust shop close by its just a local place they had my muffler out and a y pipe in in less than 20 min
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

sonomadude4x4 wrote:im lucky i guess ive got a great exhaust shop close by its just a local place they had my muffler out and a y pipe in in less than 20 min
With the right power tools... I have blisters on my hands, but just got off the muffler today.
JORSWIFT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by JORSWIFT »

I really dont want duals. Just something to make a deep rumble and sound like a truck, not a jap bike or car.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

u can still just cut the stock muffler out and put a single pipe in place of it . . heres mine with a y pipe heres a sound clip sound clip doesent do it justice its alot deeper in person

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk31 ... I_0525.mp4
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I did it! It wasn't easy but I now have the same set up as sonoma4x4. It was a week long project, but the y pipe is on now and sounds great. You're right, it does sound deeper in person.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

yeah u keep the rpm's down below 2000 its sounds great.... between 2500 and 3500 its ok but above 3500 is when it starts screaming sounds nasty
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

hey sonomadude, so from i understand, are you not running a muffler at all?
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

no muffler at all ..just both the cats.. after the main cat its 2.5 inch pipe all the way back to a y pipe just before the axel back to 4 inch tips turned at 90 degrees behide both rear tires