N2O vs. Turbo

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Rhahn01

N2O vs. Turbo

Post by Rhahn01 »

Hey y'all. I have a stock 03 4.3 zr5 with 135,000 miles. I'm thinkin of puttin a nitros system on it, probably 50 or 75 shot. Any one have one and can share some info or know what to watch for. Or would it be better to put a turbo on my truck. What mods are needed and what will it cost. Any help on either setup would be awsome.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: N2O vs. Turbo

Post by HenryJ »

The least expensive of the two will be the NO2. You do need to do some research on where you can fill the bottles.
The progressive systems are new to me and seemed to have some potential. The nice thing is that you don't pay unless you hit the button. Keep in mind that you will need another fuel pump and system to keep up with the charge. The stock injectors are not enough alone.

I don't know enough about the turbo'd trucks.

You mat find better information at some of the other forums. No one here is running boosted right now on an s-series crew cab.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

:rock: 8) Search STS turbo, major potential !!
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I personally wouldn't do either one with the mileage you have, unless you are prepared to have the engine rebuilt. Both of them increase cylinder pressures which puts a lot of strain on the rings, head gaskets, bearings, etc. It is always better to have the motor built around what you plan on doing to it. This does not mean that a stock engine can't handle it, but the likelihood of accelerated wear or damage will be much higher on a worn engine. Nitrous is obviously the cheaper route, but is it also the easiest way to do damage if it's not tuned properly as Brule mentioned. Are you just looking to have fun now and then, or do you want more power all the time? A Vortec V8 is another option and isn't much more than a good turbo or supercharger!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is no substitute for cubic inches.

I will have to agree that a V-8 may be the most reliable power addition. I have been envying the baby Cummins install in a S-10 over on Expedition Portal.

Adding a power booster is going to take the truck from daily driver to "toy". You will not be able to count on it as dependable.

Now, if you are dedicated to the modifications, what is your desired application.
Toast that ricer in the eighth? NO2
Top speed on the highway and a little more power? Turbo
"Foot stomp" torque? Supercharger
Raw power and decent gas mileage? V-8

Keep in mind that while the addition may seem simple, mods are a snowball running out of control downhill! One thing leads to another.
As easy as it is to add NO2, then you end up rebuilding the engine to handle it, or because of it. That is just one example. There are many more. Keep in mind how weak the stock drivetrain is against even the stock 4.3L engine. Transmission and axles may need to be upgraded.

Maybe think about the NO2, Turbo, Supercharger, or V-8 in a lighter toy?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rhahn01

Post by Rhahn01 »

The amount of miles on my truck and previous wear were my main concerns. The truck is my daily driver and I need to be confident in the ability to hop in and drive 800 miles strait from memphis tn to michigan or to florida. I'd love to have more power and good gas milage all the time, which leads me to the V-8 swap. I've been wanting to do it for a while but it just isn't in the budget at the moment. When it comes time to do it, how does a 4.8 compare to a 5.3 both vortec. What mods are needed and what extra parts are needed. What is a ball park of what it will cost if i do all the labor. Also where can I find a RELIABLE V-8 to drop in. From what I've heard our stock tranny is also bolted up to both of these power plants in bigger trucks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plan on about $5000 to do a V-8 swap if you do all your own work. Twice that to hire it done.
You will never recover the money invested in adding power to this truck. Not that that is your main concern.
Rhahn01 wrote:...The truck is my daily driver and I need to be confident in the ability to hop in and drive 800 miles strait from memphis tn to michigan or to florida.
You'd be better served to just be happy with the stock 4.3L
Add an inexpensive CAI and open up the exhaust. Get the gearing and tire size optimized for what you do. Spend some time investing in shift improvements for the transmission.
To have an 800 miles reliable daily driven vehicle adding power mods is not going to be advisable.
Any power adder will subtract reliability. Even if the V-8 is a reliable swap, the rest of the drivetrain becomes suspect.
If you really need more power and a reliable vehicle, it will be cheaper to sell/trade the S-10 for a fullsize. Ask me how I know? Avalanche

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

M
Rhahn01 wrote:Also where can I find a RELIABLE V-8 to drop in. From what I've heard our stock tranny is also bolted up to both of these power plants in bigger trucks.
A used 4.8 or 5.3 from a similar year GM or GMC truck or SUV would be the cheapest option. The PCM in your S10 can be programmed to run the V8. The 4L60E in your S10 is the same transmission found in the full size trucks and SUV's, but it does not have the same calibrations or upgraded components to handle the HP and TQ produced by a V8, so it would be wise to upgrade the transmission if you swap in a V8.

Steve