Aftermarket Diff Covers

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Aftermarket Diff Covers

Post by paintballrocker »

just wondering if anyone has used any of the aftermarket diff cover that are supposed to add some strength to our rear axles. i found the summitracing aluminum covers that look pretty tough. but just seeing if anyone has any expericence with it or any other types
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Aftermarket Diff Covers

Post by killian96ss »

I had the Summit cover on my CC! The Trick Flow cover they sell is also the same. Both add strength, protect the differential when off roading, and are reasonably priced. There are many more options out there if you dont mind spending a little more money, however the Summit & Trick Flow covers are pretty good and usually come with nice ARP 12 point stainless steel bolts and a gasket. Right now I have a Summit cover on my 96 Impala SS, and Trick Flow covers on my 88 S10 Blazer, and 05 ZR2 Blazer. You should find some info on this site if you do a search for rear end covers.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes and it is a good idea too. The small stock differential is rather flexy.

Differential rear-end support cover

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

sweet ill be ordering one soon! only question is what does the bearing load bolts do and how do you adjust them so they "work" properly. ive never dealt with those before
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There will be instructions with it.
Steve wrote:the cover has 600 tons of support and keeps the bearing caps from flexing or breaking when under load
You will need a torque wrench.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Yeah, its pretty easy, once you tighten down the cover bolts you then tighten the bearing cap bolts to about 10 ft. pounds, and then tighten the jam nuts. To prevent leaks you can put a little silcone on the threads before you tighten them down.

Steve
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

good news. thanks guys. i wish i could find a cover with the bearing support for my dana 30 too, all i can find are covers witht just higher fill ports, no bearing support.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

paintballrocker wrote:good news. thanks guys. i wish i could find a cover with the bearing support for my dana 30 too, all i can find are covers witht just higher fill ports, no bearing support.
Those higher fill ports can lead to trouble. if, your pinion angle is stock. If, the angle is changed, add oil to reach midway of an imaginary line half way up your axle tubes. Add the oil until it flows out the higher fill hole and it will puke out the vent tube when warm or even worse. It may cause damage to the seals. Follow the FSM and add what the capacity stated is for the diff. Don't ask me how I know. :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

F9K9 wrote:
paintballrocker wrote:good news. thanks guys. i wish i could find a cover with the bearing support for my dana 30 too, all i can find are covers witht just higher fill ports, no bearing support.
Those higher fill ports can lead to trouble. if, your pinion angle is stock. If, the angle is changed, add oil to reach midway of an imaginary line half way up your axle tubes. Add the oil until it flows out the higher fill hole and it will puke out the vent tube when warm or even worse. It may cause damage to the seals. Follow the FSM and add what the capacity stated is for the diff. Don't ask me how I know. :roflmao:
haha yea i searched and saw the post where that happened to you, must of been the ducks right? haha. well for the rear when i refill it i think ill open the stock fill hole near the pinion and fill it through the cover till it comes out that stock fill hole. that then should be about the correct level for the rear.

and then for the D30 i guess ill just look up the stock fill spec and try to match that as cloes as i can.

sounds like a decent plan?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What's the D30 on? If, it is stock on a vehicle then it should be ok. If, it is on a lifted rig then there is a good chance that the pinion is rotated up to correct drive line issues. You'll need to go with the recommended amount. With the pinion rotated up, the oem fill hole will be lower and you might not be able to get enough oil in there without getting it up on ramps or on a hill. I have to get on a pretty steep grade to get the 60 oz in my rear D44 with a Crane diff cover.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

the D30 is the axle im building for my swap. i just have to get springs and little things and i can start it soon. But thanks for the tip about filling it with the pinion rotated. Well i ordered the summit cover for the rear, and for the future front D30 i decided on a G2 aluminum cover. Everything i read said it was a really tough, light cover
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No ramps or hills to fill that sucker up. You might need a home made dipstick to get an idea where the midway of your axles are. OEM capacities go out the window with aftermarket diff covers. You DO NOT want oil flowing out of that fill hole. :roflmao:

Pick up a LubeLocker diff gasket for the D30. No RTV and is reusable.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

im gonna have to look into that gasket, seems worth the $$. ona a good note, i got both the diff covers. seem beefy. i cant wait to get the swap going. just waiting to get steering, springs and brake lines