Couple of Wheel Questions

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

neeser26

Couple of Wheel Questions

Post by neeser26 »

I have been looking to get some rims for my 03 crew cab, but the ones i really want are Dick Cepek but they don't have the right bolt pattern. What are some other good rims with that bolt pattern that are black and chrome. or is there an adapter to down size a bolt pattern?

Thanks Nate
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Couple of Questions

Post by HenryJ »

The problem you will find is that these trucks require a great deal of rearspacing. Wheel adapters can be used with the stock wheels, but finding aftermarket wheels with adequate rearspacing has been difficult.
If you can find wheel adapters that will fit, and if you will still have 4.5" or more rearspacing, it can work.

As far as I know you can not get 6-5 lug conversion wheel spacers. If that is what you are considering.

Do you have a link to the wheels?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
neeser26

Post by neeser26 »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yep, find something else that looks good to you. Unless you have a 6" Superlift those will not have enough rearspacing to work for you.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
neeser26

Post by neeser26 »

alright sounds good thanks for the help
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Couple of Wheel Questions

Post by killian96ss »

Black Rock makes custom backspaced wheels that will fit the CC! I have some on my 05 ZR2. I bought mine from Americas Tire for about $110 each.

Steve
neeser26

Post by neeser26 »

I like those! I think those is where it's at!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those wheels have the correct bolt pattern. I am not seeing enough rearspacing on the aluminum wheels that are similar to what you linked though.
Steve's ZR2 can get away with a little less rearspacing than we can since it has a narrower front frame and larger wheel openings. Not a huge difference, but enough to eliminate a little rubbing.
Your stock wheels have 6" rearspacing on a 7" wheel. Shoot for 5" rearspacing on an 8" wheel and you should clear ok.

The best way to tell just how much room that you have is to put a front wheel up on a good size curb and turn to where the tire is closest to the back of the front fender. Measure both sides.
That gives you the clearance that you have to work with.

Subtract any increase in tire diameter you wish to install. If you install a wider tire subtract half the increase in tread width. Then subtract any reduction in wheel rear spacing. From what is left subtract any increase in wheel width.

The clearance goes pretty fast.

Don't worry too much about the rear. If the fronts clear, the rear should too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Any of the steel wheels Black Rock makes can be custom back spaced. The aluminum wheels they sell are fixed sizes only. I have the 15x8 type D steel wheels with 6.5" of back space. The factory S10 wheels are 15x7 with 6" of back space. A 15x8 wheel with 6.5" of BS will have the same tire center line as a 15x7 wheel with 6" of BS. A 31" tire will also fit better on an 8" wide wheel than a 7" wide wheel. I have 31" Goodyear Kevlar MT/R'S on them right now. Same tire I had on my CC. My Black Rock wheels would fit perfect on a CC running 31's and a 2" body lift.

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

1" wider on the front can help clear the frame if you have room on the fender. 5"-5.5" rearspacing might be a good place to be.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonomadude4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by sonomadude4x4 »

i have 15x8"s with 5.5 inch back spacing and i clear the frame perfect with my 31x10.50"s