Front bumper cover/valence removal

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Front bumper cover/valence removal

Post by bbgot »

I'm planning on removing the factory plastic bumper cover on my 02 CC and fabbing up a real skid plate for the oil filter as soon as I have a break.

I have a question for those of you who have done this before. It appears that there are two pieces to the plastic cover, (1) the lower cover and (2) an impact strip piece that goes over the upper edge of the lower piece and follows the contour of the steel portion of the bumper.

If I remove the lower plastic piece, can I just reinstall the impact strip into the holes in the steel bumper and leave it like that?

It looks like this type of bumper cover was only on the 01 and 02 models, from what I've seen the later models had a different type of cover.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Front bumper cover/valence removal

Post by F9K9 »

Your profile is a bit, vague. Since I understand you have an '02 and a bumper cover, you must have a GMC model. My '02 Chevy is coverless so, I am not able to assist.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

Sorry, for the poor explanation. It's a Chevy, not a GMC.

Maybe cover is the wrong word for it, I'm talking about the plastic lower portion of the bumper that is attached to the upper steel portion.

I want to know if I can remove just that lower part without it looking like crap. I would just go ahead and remove it, but I tend to break plastic parts when I mess with them, so I'd like to know if anyone has done this before I try it.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yes and yes. I took mine off, cut the plastic lower valence and reattached it. I then kept the plastic trim on even where the lower valence was now missing. Take a look in the readers rides thread and you will see the picture I posted with this done.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

Ok, Thanks! Exactly the advice I was looking for!