Side exit exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Side exit exhaust

Post by bbgot »

Ok, I bought my CC in August. It has the factory exhaust on it and it is extra-quiet. Every vehicle I've had in the past has been VERY loud, so I kinda enjoyed the factory exhaust...

But, now that I've taken the truck down a few of our ranch roads, it's developed some squeaks and rattles in the cab and they're driving me nuts because the motor's so quiet I can hear 'em all!! Soo...

I've got a spare Thrush glasspack laying around and alot of bent exhaust tubing, and I'm going to build a new cat-back system next week. I usually dump exhaust before the rear axle under the bed, but I've got a camper top on the truck and it's illegal to do that with a camper in TX. I'm going to try a side-exit before the tire on the passenger side with the pipe coming out between the frame and leaf spring, tucked as close as I dare to the plastic fender flare.

The only side exit I've done before was on my 78 Bronco, and it will burn the $#!@ out of your leg if you get in/out of the truck while it's running. I think the crew cab will be OK because its going to be underneath the rear doors and I don't really have passengers back there much anyway.

Any thoughts/advise?

I'll post pics as soon as I do it. I think it'll work out fine, just worried about the sound with a glasspack and a V6.
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Side exit exhaust

Post by bbgot »

OK, I had the afternoon off and I got impatient and mocked the exhaust up with clamps.

I ended up using a Flowmaster 40 muffler I had instead of the glasspack, and it sounds like a riceburner!! I had a 94 s10 blazer 4.3 years back with the same muffler and a full 3" tailpipe that sounded great!

I'm thinking the poor sound is either due to leakage around the clamped joints (which will be remedied when I finally get around to welding it up), or its the short length of pipe after the muffler.

Any thoughts?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sorry, that you got impatient but, I do understand. Early on, I thought about an early exit on the exhaust but, ruled it out due to crud getting on the sides and the possibility of the gases coming in the vents, behind the rear seat. I went with the Flowmaster Delta 40 or something like that and the 3" catback system. I think I found the muffler on Ebay for something like $50 and had it installed. Do a search using my name and it should come up. I have been very pleased with the sound and despite my concerns about rusting in my climate it has held up great. I think that I installed in late '04 or early '05.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

i just bought a cc, i am doing a 3" side exit on both sides...using a flowmaster 40 3" dual out..i will let you know how it goes..you probably have it all done cuz this thread is 3 months old!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I thin k that you will be the first to have 3" duals. Most have gone smaller for duals. 3" is usually a single cat back.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

HenryJ wrote:I thin k that you will be the first to have 3" duals. Most have gone smaller for duals. 3" is usually a single cat back.
x2, i have a 2.5" dual, that what most normally run
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
bbgot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbgot »

Sorry for not updating, I've been a little swamped lately. I did try the side exit for a while, but the sound was never quite right. Very tin-can like with a horrible drone at 1700-1800 RPM, likely due to only having a foot or so of pipe after the muffler.

I ended up reducing the pipe after the muffler down to 2.25" and welding the stock tailpipe back on (with a nice stainless tip welded). It quieted it down alot and really smoothed out the sound. It sounds great in town and you can barely hear it on the highway. I'm happy with it for now.
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

ive changed my mind, i will be recieving a flowmaster 10 series single out...and it will exit on the passenger side. should be getting it today. may or may not take out the cat..depends on how loud it is...i just got a sticker so i can just pop it back in to renew the sticker next year.
AParrette

Post by AParrette »

If your gonna go short then do a glasspack with a turndown so the turn is right after the cab ends. That way no exhaust gts inside. And its louder than sin.

I also hate truck pipes that are visible unless there is a cutout for the tips. So I alsways ended my exhaust before the axle so it wouldn't be seen

Android Fire
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

AParrette wrote:"I also hate truck pipes that are visible unless there is a cutout for the tips. So I alsways ended my exhaust before the axle so it wouldn't be seen"
i like it to be seen... i like to make a statement..lol
i got the 10 series on, comes out at the bed in front of the tire...doesnt sound awesome but doesnt sound bad. pretty loud tho. gonna take the cat out..
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Why would you want to remove the cat? Your emissions will go up, the exhaust will be a lot louder, you won't make any more power, your check engine light will stay on, and it is illegal in all 50 states! Just saying!

Steve
AParrette

Post by AParrette »

o2 emulator. Or just program the pcm to have the code not report

Android Fire
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

i took the tailpipe off and now it sounds just how i wanted it. i removed the cat on my previous s10 and it sounded sick. illegal doesnt bother me, laws were made to be broken!
closest sound to a v8 that ive gotton in all my exhaust combinations.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

AParrette wrote:o2 emulator. Or just program the pcm to have the code not report

Android Fire
or a spark plug defouler. ment to gap the plug from the block. used one on the o2 plug behind the cat when i put on my high flo cat. hasnt tripped a SES light for it since. cost about $2
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]