Lift questions

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

neeser26

Lift questions

Post by neeser26 »

Do you need to get a body lift, or could I get away with rear shackles and a T-bar crank? I'm just curious, because I have been thinking a lot about it lately. Let me know what you guys think.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Lift questions

Post by HenryJ »

What size tires are you wanting to fit? Adjusting the front torsion bars to the maximum Z-height and adding shackles to the back will offer enough clearance for a 29" (235/75-15) tires. You might get away with a small 30" tire for light use.
It is more likely that the 2" body lift will be in your future though. Most find it the best choice and do both. The shackles, or BSW (Boise SpringWorks) kit get rid of the rear sag. Adjusting the torsion bars just levels things out.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
neeser26

Post by neeser26 »

I'm not sure yet, the truck is still sitting at stock height. I want the truck higher but not to high, but can fit decent tires on it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is the short list of what fits. Pretty easy since there is little room on these trucks. All of these assume the stock width wheel and rearspacing is used.

Stock= 29" or less 29" rubs slightly in hard offroad stuff.
2" body lift= 30"-31" rubs slightly in hard offroad stuff.
MML= 33" this is the maximum size on IFS
Bigger than 33" requires a SFA conversion.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bmh74

Post by bmh74 »

will torsion bar keys for an extra cab fit on a crew cab?
stallzero

Post by stallzero »

HenryJ wrote:Here is the short list of what fits. Pretty easy since there is little room on these trucks. All of these assume the stock width wheel and rearspacing is used.

So if i do 2" shackles and t bar crank i could fit 30's with my stock rims? I dont really plan on doing any offroading. im mostly looking to just get a slightly tougher look on my zr5.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

stallzero wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Here is the short list of what fits. Pretty easy since there is little room on these trucks. All of these assume the stock width wheel and rearspacing is used.

So if i do 2" shackles and t bar crank i could fit 30's with my stock rims? I dont really plan on doing any offroading. im mostly looking to just get a slightly tougher look on my zr5.
Yes. Stay on the narrow side and it shouldn't be too bad. Quite a few have done it with varying results. Keep in mind sizes vary.
Watch that Z height adjustment and make sure the camber/caster will set properly.
Don't rule out a 2" body lift. It has many benefits beyond the tire clearance. You will be just slightly higher than a ZR2 or Highrider with the same size tires :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
stallzero

Post by stallzero »

thanks for the advice! shackle kit installed and t-bar cranked. i put 30x9.5r15's on some stock rims. no rub at all even maxed out. its great and performed in this snow storm well.
DutchBiker42

Post by DutchBiker42 »

Looking to do a SFA swap on my 03 CC. Any threads here on it? I HATE S10forum.com so please do not recommend me to that site. There is actually a huge void when it comes to lift threads on this site.......probably due to the front ends of S10s being crappy and weak. I am not interested in a mystery lift just so I can rub my 31s in driveways and replace axles and ball joints every year. Looking for serious SFA builds and advice. I'm not looking to put giant tires and wheels on my rig and lift it 20 inches,just want a dependable 4WD S10 daily driver and SFA in my opinion is the only way to go. I've done leveling kits, small lift kits.....all destroy the front end within a year. Why T-bar cranking is even advised is beyond me. I BARELY have my bars cranked over stock and it creaks,whines and goes through axles every year. I'M OVER IT.
Maybe I'm just missing the threads here on SFA swaps, an help,links or advice would be appreciated.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

SFA is no small task. If you're looking for a small lift and maybe 32" tires I would seriously look at doing an XJ aftermarket long arm cross member and long arms (can't remember brand) with an HP30 and 4.10 gears. Then do a ford 8.8 in the rear. That will keep your track width relatively the same as the stock crew. This will give you the best mounting locations for the link arms using that cross member. This was essentially what Diversified Creations did with the kit they used to offer for s10s. If you search on google, you should be able to find more info. People figured it out real quick and Diversified never got a lot of kits out there because you can order the components separately.