Spectre cold air intake

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Spectre cold air intake

Post by northsnoma »

Summit's got a pretty nice deal goin on with the spectre cold air intakes, 149.99 w/ free shipping and a $20 mail in rebate. Just ordered mine and will be anxiously awaiting :rock:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9901/?rtype=10
2002 Sonoma Crew
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Spectre cold air intake

Post by Jongo88 »

That is a good deal...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

Everyone likes saving a few bucks :thumb:
2002 Sonoma Crew
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have had the same intake system on my 05 ZR2 for over a year now. The plastic/metal intake "hat" is bolted to the throttle body which is much nicer than what the K&N system has, but the air filter is a little bit cheaper compared to a K&N, although it does work just fine. The heat shield is nice, as is the polished aluminum tube, but I did have a problem with the rubber mount separating from the bolt that attaches to the fuse box brackets. I slightly rebent the bracket on the polished tube and bought a nicer rubber isolation bolt at the hardware store and it's been fine since. Overall its a great intake system for the money, even better that the more expensive K&N kit!

Steve
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

Thanks for the input Steve! Right now I've got a spectre filter clamped on to the stock intake right after the MAF ( previous owner) and I think all that airflow right by the sensor is f### with it
2002 Sonoma Crew
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

With the filter so close to the air filter, it may be more likely to have some of the filter oil film transferred to the MAF sensor. Grab a can of MAFS cleaner, or carefully clean them with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

Who knows when the last time this filter was oiled.. I wont cause their's hole on the sides worn out from rubbing on the fuse box. Plus I've got my new one coming! I've cleaned my MAF a few times with some CRC spray and will hit it one more time for good measures before I install the new intake
2002 Sonoma Crew
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm running a Spectre intake on the new truck. What a great value.

Image Image

I added some Refletix insulation to the heat shield. This insulates and seals it better. I also stitched up a nylon bag. This pre-filter keeps the big stuff off the air cleaner and really helps to extend those service intervals.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

I like that setup a lot, especially the pre-filter. I run a pre-filter for both my 2 wheeled toys. Thank you HenryJ!
2002 Sonoma Crew
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

I would post a picture of mine except it must have been on my old phone. Anyway I run the same kit on my avalanche as Brule. In my personal opinion they a better kit all the way around then both K&N and airaid. I have run all three kits now (not on the same rig) and I am far more impressed with the spectre then the others. In both fit/finish and in value.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Speaking of "cold air intakes", has anyone ever tried routing a hose from the cab to the intake, as to draw air from the AC unit? I checked mine the other day, and found that it is throwing air out at just over 42 degrees. I can't help but think that this would greatly help boost power... Maybe?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Perpetual motion? It takes more energy to cool the intake charge than is recovered in performance. Ice the fuel line to cool the fuel charge and you may see some small gains. Drag racers called it a Kool Can.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Got ya, I wasn't thinking so much a perpetual motion, as much as wasted energy. Somewhere I'd read that the performance gain caused by using NOS is potentially as much just from the cooling effect from releasing the gas as anything else. When I checked my AC last week and found it blowing 42 on a low 90's and high humidity day, I saw potential.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WileyHunter wrote:Got ya, I wasn't thinking so much a perpetual motion, as much as wasted energy. Somewhere I'd read that the performance gain caused by using NOS is potentially as much just from the cooling effect from releasing the gas as anything else. When I checked my AC last week and found it blowing 42 on a low 90's and high humidity day, I saw potential.
The problem is the volume of air and how much heat is being removed. Intercoolers do work. Air to air is not usually as efficient as water to air if a large volume of cold water is available , such as a marine application.
I have not heard of a freon based intercooler?
NO2 does cool as will any compressed gas that undergoes a rapid pressure change. The advantage to a gas like NO2 is you get that extra oxygen which means you can add more fuel and more fuel also has a cooling effect. Win-win.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Somehow I dont see the performance gained by pushing AC air in to the intake being that much greater to overtake the lost performance of running the AC in the first place. I know my truck has a noticeable difference in performance with the AC turned on. If anything you may just be negating the lost performance by running the AC but at a cost of less cool volume of air to the passenger compartment. Seems silly to me, there's plenty of other ways I would rather try to gain from than something like this.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ