Diesel swap into the crew

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Diesel swap into the crew

Post by Lil-j »

Has anybody HERE done it? What did you put in?

I searched and found a few people talking about doing but none where it has been done.

Eventually (year or two), I'd like to get another truck but keep the crew for a toy. I'd like to do swap in a cummins 4BT diesel but have no idea about what transmission and transfer case to marry up to it. Solid axle up front, bigger rear axle, maybe dana 60's? Modest lift kit and 33's. I'm kicking ideas around, nothing set in stone yet but I'd like to talk to someone who has done it.

Inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNE_G-6bBM

I dont want mine up that high but you get the idea.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Diesel swap into the crew

Post by HenryJ »

I have seen that one and a standard cab that have done it. The standard cab hangs out on Expedition Portal.
Look to our south American members for inspiration too. The diesel is an option for the S-10 there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

33s and Dana 60 is pointless. With that small of a tire, you will not have much clearance under the differentials. Bump it up to 37s or bigger to justify a 60. Full float 14 bolts are alot more common aound my area, and newer ones can be had with disk brakes and an e brake. Don't count out the ford axles either. Plenty of beef in them. Also, I'll have to look, but a guy on pirate is using a VW diesel with I believe Toyota transmission. I'll look for it...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/10 ... sible.html
saab9k
Crew
Crew

Post by saab9k »

I would go with a VW turbo diesel, they are easy to work with.
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Guy on S10F put a 6.5l Duramax into his std cab first gen, he has a thread in the V8 section I believe.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Wow black with white letters is horrible for my eyes to read, cant take that forum! LOL

I wish there was a quick swap engine for these. Mine will need a new motor eventually, and would really love to go Diesel. No other major upgrades besides that. The stock suspension does me well for what I do with the vehicle. Though I would be very happy seeing a VW TDI in one of these since they last for ever and require little to no maintenance. A friend has a 2003 Jetta, original owner, 310k+ miles on it still runs like new. I just dont see a VW engine mating up with the GM computers too well.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Are you talking about S10Forum? The std colors are light gray with black letters.

Im with you on the diesel tho, Id love to put one in mine but dont have the time for all the research.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

ApproachMedium wrote:I wish there was a quick swap engine for these.
there is, 350 from (dont quote me im not 100% sure) 96-01(?). everything from the 4.3 bolts/works on the 350. wire in the two extra injectors and retune the computer for a V8 flash.

But now for the topic of diesels, 4bt are a common swap. diesels10 on s10forum had a 6.5, now has a 6.6/alison. but either engine route, its almost impossible to put a diesel in a stock truck. the IFS crap gets in the way. if you go diesel you will likely have to do a solid axle swap. otherwise there isnt enough room up front, and the IFS isnt strong enough to support the weight on the front end.
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Nah not S10 forum the pirate 4x4 site.

Looks like the diesel isnt an option with the weight and IFS getting in the way. Doing a 350 is out of the question for me. I cant afford the gas on a V8. I borrowed my dads F150 for a few weeks and that first tank was painful after I had fun with it. After that I drove the thing like a grandma for the remainder of the time that I was using it. Driving it that way though, I was going 100 miles every quarter of a tank averaging about 19-20MPG combined. Not bad for a V8 but what fun is it?
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ